Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Great expectations

Jack Niall (Age) thinks it's a mistake we signed Longmire with 3 year contract extension. Reckons it should've been shorter:

AFL: Sydney Swans' long-term deal for John Longmire questioned as club embarks on 'transition' period

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    Jack Niall (Age) thinks it's a mistake we signed Longmire with 3 year contract extension. Reckons it should've been shorter:

AFL: Sydney Swans' long-term deal for John Longmire questioned as club embarks on 'transition' period
    Jake Niall also says that Mills underperformed, Heeney is our best player and the Swans got their moneys worth from Buddy

All of which suggests he must have slept through last season, because I don't think any of them applied to season 2019.
    Last edited by Ruck'n'Roll; 1st March 2020 at 02:14 PM.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    Jake Niall also says that Mills underperformed, Heeney is our best player and the Swans got their moneys worth from Buddy

All of which suggests he must have slept through last season, because I don't think any of them applied to season 2019.
    Another example of shallow knowledge of the Swans. He's right about Buddy but ignorant re Mills. Heeney has the potential to be our best but has been outplayed by Mills over both their careers in my opinion although it is a bit easier down back. Buddy still our best player.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post

I was about to say that that is one of Jake Niall's worst articles but then I noticed that it wasn't his article.....it just quotes him.

It's still a crap article.....it never once explains 'why' Jake thinks Horse's three year deal was too long. Clickbait.....

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    I was about to say that that is one of Jake Niall's worst articles but then I noticed that it wasn't his article.....it just quotes him.

It's still a crap article.....it never once explains 'why' Jake thinks Horse's three year deal was too long. Clickbait.....
    Yeah I found that strange too , it was a 3 year extension and another club was chasing him presumably offering big money. So we are right to re-sign him, but what , where we supposed to offer him a one year extension ?

Not the soundest of logic there .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Buddy still our best player.
    He may well be, but I don't think the Swans got there money's worth ($1.6m) out of Buddy in 2019, missed half the year and only added 7 points to our scoring when he did play.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    He may well be, but I don't think the Swans got there money's worth ($1.6m) out of Buddy in 2019, missed half the year and only added 7 points to our scoring when he did play.
    A 7 point difference per game for a single player is a pretty significant difference in my opinion. If you average his salary over it's term it probably comes to about 10% of the salary cap and a 7 point *difference* per game with him in the team is probably about a 10% difference on the field/addition to our score. Plus he offers a lot off the field, one suspects, in terms of membership, sponsors etc etc. I am entirely happy with the deal we gave Buddy and judge it a success. Of course, I'd be even happier if we'd won an extra premiership in 2016.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    A 7 point difference per game for a single player is a pretty significant difference in my opinion. If you average his salary over it's term it probably comes to about 10% of the salary cap and a 7 point *difference* per game with him in the team is probably about a 10% difference on the field/addition to our score. Plus he offers a lot off the field, one suspects, in terms of membership, sponsors etc etc. I am entirely happy with the deal we gave Buddy and judge it a success. Of course, I'd be even happier if we'd won an extra premiership in 2016.
    Ah yes, the AFL's payback for us audaciously recruiting the Bud.....the 2016 'Grand Larceny'.

we won 8 games and came 15th on the ladder in 2019

We get back 4 guys from the game yest next week Kirky said........hmmmm can they bridge 15 goals or so ? bloody unlikely

I said that i was very concerned we didnt try and trade harder as I dont think we have the talent that gives us the greatest probability of getting back in the top 8 in 2020 nor 2021

That will be 3 seasons outside the top 8 most likely........ and Buddy, Kennedy and Rampe on the way out 2yrs from now and a ruck and a midfield just not good enough IMO

Someone made a fair point that GWS didnt have Taranto for the whole game and no Coniglio, and no Josh Kelly, no Greene rolling thru the midfield and no Whitfield and their Captain missing also from the midfield.........6 players missing from their starting midfield rotation !!!!!!

Holy @@@@

I like our guys
    great guys
    but they are not up to the top6 top8 teams and that is the blend we have gone for which is wrong in my opinion vs other clubs who have rebuilt on the run

We should have and should do make an offer for player like Jye Caldwell as i mentioned last year that GWS cant match and or others like him that can go on and be real 10yr top8 team midfielders

GWS can not with all of their midfield match serious offers for an out of contract Caldwell etc

Players move clubs and we should have and should be doing everything we can to bring in quality and or emerging quality so 2021 we are a serious top4 threat

our current recruitment strategy is not in alignment with a top 4 team come 2021
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Warming the Bench
    I might be glass half empty but I think we over rate our list.
    I wonder how many of our players would get games with the top sides.
    Will our younger players want to stay around if we are not successful?

Quote Originally Posted by chuckie View Post
    I might be glass half empty but I think we over rate our list.
    I wonder how many of our players would get games with the top sides.
    Will our younger players want to stay around if we are not successful?
    There is no reason, on paper, why we can climb up the ladder to be vying for a spot in the bottom of the 8.

What is concerning from last year and this year is the absolute dogged determination to always be in the game seems to have gone.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    There is no reason, on paper, why we can climb up the ladder to be vying for a spot in the bottom of the 8.

What is concerning from last year and this year is the absolute dogged determination to always be in the game seems to have gone.
    Barry, our % was 97 last year with an average losing margin of 22 points. We were in the game in our losing games up to 3 quarter time on most occasions. Natural improvement on that must take us up the ladder. And the 4 who retired had very few games for the season.