Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Great expectations

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    It will be interesting to see what happens with last year bargain basement buys, Clarke and Thurlow. Do either get another crack at the firsts (if performance warrants) or have their cards been marked - and if so why are they still on the list?
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    It will be interesting to see what happens with last year bargain basement buys, Clarke and Thurlow. Do either get another crack at the firsts (if performance warrants) or have their cards been marked - and if so why are they still on the list?
    I was actually quite pleased with Clarke: though more as a tagger, rather than as somebody who is going to impress with their skills. A good wholehearted player, who will reliably fill his role. Thurlow disappointed me, though. I thought that he would add a bit of class to our backline, but he only looked just okay. Then after being dropped back to the NEAFL, I thought he would look a class above and make a case for a recall. However, he only looked just okay at NEAFL level. If he was carrying an injury, then maybe we'll see improvement. If he wasn't, I don't really see him earning a new contract.

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    I was actually quite pleased with Clarke: though more as a tagger, rather than as somebody who is going to impress with their skills. A good wholehearted player, who will reliably fill his role. Thurlow disappointed me, though. I thought that he would add a bit of class to our backline, but he only looked just okay. Then after being dropped back to the NEAFL, I thought he would look a class above and make a case for a recall. However, he only looked just okay at NEAFL level. If he was carrying an injury, then maybe we'll see improvement. If he wasn't, I don't really see him earning a new contract.
    +1

I really hope Ling finally gets on the park & gets a crack in the seniors, because I remember KB giving him a glowing reference when he was drafted with our first pick. Same with Stottard. Just like to see both these players get to play some senior footy before any decision is made at end of next season. Gotta feel for young players knowing they're likely on their last chance to impress. It's tough.

Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    Wow. Apparently Boban is 224 cm!! I like the bemused look of the small tall guy next to him just after he 'dunks' it.

- - - Updated - - -

Is Boban available? I reckon he'd be worth a Cat B rookie spot and could potentially solve our ruck problems.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    +1

I really hope Ling finally gets on the park & gets a crack in the seniors, because I remember KB giving him a glowing reference when he was drafted with our first pick. Same with Stottard. Just like to see both these players get to play some senior footy before any decision is made at end of next season. Gotta feel for young players knowing they're likely on their last chance to impress. It's tough.
    Stoddard and COR likely to get first crack at half back. McInerney should be breathing down their neck. Hopefully Ling is doing the same later in the year.

Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    +1

Yes, I'm feeling reasonably confident about both Ling and Stoddart. Though with Ling, it's more on just glimpses of high potential, rather than than the consistently impressive NEAFL form of Stoddart. Apparently Stoddart is also looking a little less scrawny this season, which should help him. Though that might be just because he's had a haircut?

Veterans List
    Because obviously their cards have not been marked, as opposed to our other bargain basement buy, Menzel......his was and he's now gone. It's a matter of deduction.....

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    I can't get over the size of his sneakers! Fu**ing huge!

I think we still need some experienced depth outside our best 22.

I had Kennedy, Parker, Hewett, Florent and Rowbottom as our inside midfielders in our best 22 (with Gray playing forward). There is not much beyond that. Next I would probably have Clarke, Fox and Bell. Or then you start thinking about moving someone from another position like Gray, Heeney or Mills.

Also I think Clarke offers something different as a tagger or a defensive running midfielder. He can play a role against midfields like GWS that have a lot of run. Instead of having Parker and Kennedy chasing them all day.

Likewise we don't have much experience depth in defense. It is good to give youngsters an opportunity when there is injuries. But sometimes it is nice to have the option of being able to select a senior player who has played a few seasons.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Wow. Apparently Boban is 224 cm!! I like the bemused look of the small tall guy next to him just after he 'dunks' it.

- - - Updated - - -

Is Boban available? I reckon he'd be worth a Cat B rookie spot and could potentially solve our ruck problems.
    Yes, he's thirteen centimetres taller than Sandilands.

Funnily enough, he was in a fight scene in John Wick 3 (warning, it gets particularly violent in the last ten sec): John Wick 3 Fight Scene with Boban Marjanovic - YouTube

Could we not just start breeding a player now to stand in the goal square in 2040.

Let’s call it the 240 by 2040 plan.

If he/she is able to walk perhaps they could contest centre square bounces before parking themselves in the goal square.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Because obviously their cards have not been marked, as opposed to our other bargain basement buy, Menzel......his was and he's now gone. It's a matter of deduction.....
    Confusingly Clarke and Thurlow are both listed as Contract Status: Out of contract at the end of 2019 on footywire.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast