Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Great expectations

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar

Great expectations

Ok ladies and germs, now that the draft frenzy is over for the year.

While the new draftees are all going to be superstars, I think we've talked enough about them. I'd be delighted to while away the summer chatting about the individuals that were already on our list, what they showed last year and where we think they might be going. What did you see, and where do you think it might lead?

To get the ball rolling, Justin Mcinerney I've already disagreed with some on here about the 19 year old and said . . . I'd like to reserve a spot on the McInernery Bandwagon, I was surprised when he was given a senior debut (and he looked all-at-sea and out of his depth) so very early in the season (his first season). Seeing him develop in the NEAFL was very encouraging. By seasons end he was making appearances in the midfield, breaking lines and really looked like he was worth a game in the firsts.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    Ok ladies and germs, now that the draft frenzy is over for the year.

While the new draftees are all going to be superstars, I think we've talked enough about them. I'd be delighted to while away the summer chatting about the individuals that were already on our list, what they showed last year and where we think they might be going. What did you see, and where do you think it might lead?

To get the ball rolling, Justin Mcinerney I've already disagreed with some on here about the 19 year old and said . . . I'd like to reserve a spot on the McInernery Bandwagon, I was surprised when he was given a senior debut (and he looked all-at-sea and out of his depth) so very early in the season (his first season). Seeing him develop in the NEAFL was very encouraging. By seasons end he was making appearances in the midfield, breaking lines and really looked like he was worth a game in the firsts.
    Agree re McInerney. Also have high hopes for COR on seeing his development over the past 12 months. We are assembling a very promising list.

Great thread, RnR!

I, three, have high hopes for McInerney. So much talent, and upside! I see Rowles as a similar player more than one year further behind in development and, not having seen him play, I'm not ready to join the bandwagon just yet.

Rowbottom, of course, although there seems to be a consensus around him.

McLean has some really promising traits but will have his work cut out. I can see him overtaking Amartey although they have different attributes. Amartey is more athletic and agile and can leap wheres McLean has great appetite for the contest and ability and willingness to throw his body around. Good leadership too.

I am intrigued about Knoll but have no idea.

Ling and Stoddart's futures aren't clear but they have enormous talent. Ling needs his body to stand up. Stoddart needs to learn how to get his own ball and be defensively accountable.

McCartin has a bright future, although if we ever get Buddy, JD, Reid and him all at once it's hard to see them fitting in the same team. Still, if that situation comes to pass, and they're all fit, it won't last more than a season or two.

I don't see COR as cemented in the 22 and I could see him getting pushed out as others develop. But hopefully he will keep developing too.

Ronke still young, developing and inconsistent. Has enough talent to make it but has a lot of competition for his spot now. Will need to build his mental game: resilience and concentration.

I'm really interested to see how Zac Foot goes. There's no easy path into the team for him but he seems to be doing all he can and has shown up for pre-season ready to go.

Dawson is ready to reach an even higher level this year. He's going to be a superstar!

Would love to see Heeney and Mills take their games up another notch and think it's possible.

The sky is the limit for Blakey.

Gotta put my son to bed now but I could go on.

I feel really positive about our list. We just need to keep getting games into the talent. I don't know how we'll fit them all in.

COR is interesting, in the NEAFL he was starting to gather lots of possessions as a free flowing and creative player with speed and excellent disposal - he looked like a possible replacement for Captain Gumby but he seems far more restrained and defensive in the firsts. Almost as if we're thinking he might be a replacement for Smith.

Knoll on the other hand simply worries me. We drafted him after his performance in the SANFL V's WAFL games, which is undoubtedly the best level of footy below the AFL, yet despite our acute shortage of ruckmen this year he stayed in the NEAFL because he's unready for the firsts? Seems odd to me.

I think COR is highly respected at match commitee and will continue his stellar development at half back. Good idea for a summer chat RnR

I always imagined Knolls fitness / weight was an issue and they are aiming to improve his ability to get off the ground.

COR is interesting, in the NEAFL he was starting to gather lots of possessions as a free flowing and creative player with speed and excellent disposal - he looked like a possible replacement for Captain Gumby but he seems far more restrained and defensive in the firsts. Almost as if we're thinking he might be a replacement for Smith.
    We always have to be on the lookout for that one small defender to take the opposition's most dangerous small forward, and I think COR may be the prime candidate at this point.

Lloyd is not a particularly good defender, although he id show improvement this past year.

Cunningham has played that small defender role and I thought he did okay. He might have to move into defence with all the small forwards we have at the moment.

Both Ling and Stoddart have played in defence, mostly as rebounding defenders, but at AFL level they one of these 2 may become the one to take on that key small defender role. Cunningham and Lloyd both get moved into the midfield. Lloyd is pretty handy around stoppages. He has a very good sense of where the ball's going.

To say least, it's a very fluid situation with our defence. The only ones I'm sure about are Aliir and Rampe, with COR as a highly probable.

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    I always imagined Knolls fitness / weight was an issue and they are aiming to improve his ability to get off the ground.
    When your well over 2 metres tall you can't be expected to show much "hang time" but in the final NEAFL games SamN was clearly getting better "air" - so that may indeed be the issue.

Extreme left field thought, if Ronke doesn't make it as a forward he may be worth a try as a lockdown small defender. He's got a solid build, good closing speed and is a capable tackler.

Knoll on the other hand simply worries me. We drafted him after his performance in the SANFL V's WAFL games, which is undoubtedly the best level of footy below the AFL, yet despite our acute shortage of ruckmen this year he stayed in the NEAFL because he's unready for the firsts? Seems odd to me.
    I seem to recall that the top small forward for one of the teams we played last year led COR a merry dance. I think it was Cameron from Brisbane but I might be wrong? At one point, COR was conned into heading up towards a marking contest and his opponent stayed back, gathered the crumbs and kicked a goal. The upshot is that COR is a great trier with many good attributes but he still has a lot to learn in terms of footy smarts.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

It's a big shock coming into the AFL and having to guard Cameron or Betts, after only playing against small forwards several steps down in the NEAFL. Anyone who takes up that role needs some period of acclimatization. I don't remember COR's specific games, but do recall that there was steady improvement over the 12 game stint.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    It's a big shock coming into the AFL and having to guard Cameron or Betts, after only playing against small forwards several steps down in the NEAFL. Anyone who takes up that role needs some period of acclimatization. I don't remember COR's specific games, but do recall that there was steady improvement over the 12 game stint.
    Exactly. Every one of our current, recent and less recent defenders has been made to look silly at times. It’s what the good forwards do. It just happens less often to the better defenders, and defenders get better with experience and practice.

Veterans List
    Have we forgotten Florent's obvious improvement in the latter part of the season when he went into the guts.

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast