Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Great expectations

I feel the questions that need to be asked are

Are we a better side with a nominated Ruck? Yes, so therefore with 2 or 3 options available we should be better. Naismith to play 18 games+ and Sinclair to cover / play forward and the others options as needed to suit the relevant match ups against certain sides.
    Did Jack or McVeigh add enough value to be missed? 50-50 on this one and consider that we have players that need to grow and by them getting out of the way we will improve.
    Is Buddy fit or not? He is heading towards the back end of his contract and I consider will bring value for the next 3-4 years. (even at 80 % fit) Generation next forwards, need to become our main way to score!
    Have we recruited well? As always we have recruited upwards. WE will have better players in 2 years
    Do the Swans have depth? I feel that the recruits and depth is good this year. A few players that have played a game or 2 need to step up. Ling, O'Riordan, Stoddard and Mcinerney will be pushed by Brand, Clark, Thurlow, Maibaim, Taylor and Bell etc.
    Who else did we loose that matters? Jones, and his hardness at the ball. however won't miss the turnovers.
    Papley move or not question? He will play at his best either way and should not be carrying any baggage for the failed attempt to turn blue.
    Will the Swans go up or down the ladder? UP and challenge the 8!

And a thousand other questions that won't matter in 6 months. I predict the Swans to be 5 positions higher at least by end of season. 13 - 16 wins with healthy list for finals!!

Rod_

Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    I'm surprised that Buddy should have struck you as adding weight; what I could see in the club pics is a bit of the opposite, and that he seemed to me to have dropped a kilo or two. I was pleased, obviously, and although we have a setback by way of recovery from surgery, I'm looking forward to displays of continuing brilliance!
    My observation of Buddy at the final session prior to Christmas was that he was was in seriously great shape, looking super trim—much more so than in the early parts of the year over the past three or four seasons— moving on top of the grass, and 120% into it. My daughter and I were just agog at what he was doing in the simulations, and he was on voice constantly.

I am always a bit glass half full, but if the arthroscopy was genuinely a clean up rather than something more serious, there is no reason not to anticipate a contribution from him.

I gather that he is still a regular at training since the procedure, albeit on limited duties.

And as for that prediction that we'll win the wooden spoon—radically overstates the impact of the retirees, three of whom had next to no involvement last season (sorry Kizza, but the team looked stronger when he wasn't playing). McVeigh is a loss, but between Lloyd, Dawson and, I think, Cunningham, we have players ready to step into that organising half-back role.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod_ View Post
    I feel the questions that need to be asked are

Are we a better side with a nominated Ruck? Yes, so therefore with 2 or 3 options available we should be better. Naismith to play 18 games+ and Sinclair to cover / play forward and the others options as needed to suit the relevant match ups against certain sides.
    Rod_
    Don't want to burst your bubble Rod, but Naismith has never played 18 games in his 6 seasons with the club so far, the chances of him doing so coming off a two year injury lay off are extremely slim

Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    I'm surprised that Buddy should have struck you as adding weight; what I could see in the club pics is a bit of the opposite, and that he seemed to me to have dropped a kilo or two. I was pleased, obviously, and although we have a setback by way of recovery from surgery, I'm looking forward to displays of continuing brilliance!
    Buddy is in the eye of the beholder?

Quote Originally Posted by O'Reilly Boy View Post
    My observation of Buddy at the final session prior to Christmas was that he was was in seriously great shape, looking super trim—much more so than in the early parts of the year over the past three or four seasons— moving on top of the grass, and 120% into it. My daughter and I were just agog at what he was doing in the simulations, and he was on voice constantly.

I am always a bit glass half full, but if the arthroscopy was genuinely a clean up rather than something more serious, there is no reason not to anticipate a contribution from him.

I gather that he is still a regular at training since the procedure, albeit on limited duties.

And as for that prediction that we'll win the wooden spoon—radically overstates the impact of the retirees, three of whom had next to no involvement last season (sorry Kizza, but the team looked stronger when he wasn't playing). McVeigh is a loss, but between Lloyd, Dawson and, I think, Cunningham, we have players ready to step into that organising half-back role.
    Yes, it will be interesting to see who will be the calm head down back. I'm sure that Dawson could do it, but I can also see him playing successfully, both on the wing and up forward. Mills could also do it, but I still hope for the Mills to the midfield move. If that move does happen, Rampe could play less as a key defender and more as a ball distributor. Although that's probably dependent on Melican and Brand performing well. Aliir might even step into the role: he can often calmly choose the right option and hit his chosen target. Cunningham may also rise to the challenge of senior player.

All up, there's a lot of genuine backline options. Especially if you add in Stoddart, Ling and O'Riordan: all whom I expect to have good seasons. Although I don't think any of them, could be classified as a calm head, just yet. And with all the above options, it's hard to see us picking up the wooden spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by caj23 View Post
    Don't want to burst your bubble Rod, but Naismith has never played 18 games in his 6 seasons with the club so far, the chances of him doing so coming off a two year injury lay off are extremely slim
    But ruckman do tend to get better with age. Naismith should be approaching his prime.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    But ruckman do tend to get better with age. Naismith should be approaching his prime.
    And we need him, to be ready.. And hopefully more than 18 games a year..!

Senior Player
    Do they get less injury prone?

Quote Originally Posted by caj23 View Post
    Do they get less injury prone?
    My own experience is that injury prone players rarely ever get less so.

Even at junior level its amazing to me how some guys constantly seem to get injured and often from what it seems are "unlucky" events.

Naismith may play over 18 games but if he does Im betting at least a third will probably be at Neafl level.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Undoubtedly!
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod_ View Post
    And we need him (Naismith), to be ready.. And hopefully more than 18 games a year..!
    I know SamN is more than a touch of a worry injury wise but I think he is the only Swans ruckman that can feed a midfield - and the principal reason why our midfield has been such a worry recently.

Sinkers (as a relief ruck/forward) simply isn't anywhere near as good at that aspect and Knoll is on a steep learning curve (he may develop into an adequate meat-axe type ruckman but I can't see him ever doing silver service).
    Last edited by Ruck'n'Roll; 30th January 2020 at 04:34 PM.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Groan. Normally you are pretty much my favourite poster but this is woeful! I'll just focus on remembering on your many successes.

Yes, it will be interesting to see who will be the calm head down back. I'm sure that Dawson could do it, but I can also see him playing successfully, both on the wing and up forward. Mills could also do it, but I still hope for the Mills to the midfield move. If that move does happen, Rampe could play less as a key defender and more as a ball distributor. Although that's probably dependent on Melican and Brand performing well. Aliir might even step into the role: he can often calmly choose the right option and hit his chosen target. Cunningham may also rise to the challenge of senior player.

All up, there's a lot of genuine backline options. Especially if you add in Stoddart, Ling and O'Riordan: all whom I expect to have good seasons. Although I don't think any of them, could be classified as a calm head, just yet. And with all the above options, it's hard to see us picking up the wooden spoon.
    I think Rampe and Mills cover for Macca, Reg and Smooch, but require all the others to step up too. I, too, would love to see Mills released to the midfield but can't see it happening in the short term. He is needed more in the backline, especially his leadership. Parker and JPK can take charge in the midfield and it's not like Cal offers that much of a different package to them, although I would like to see how he goes with his composure ball use being a potential strength. Like Parker, JPK and Hewett, Mills is not especially pacy. We rather need players like Florent, Papley, Lewis Taylor to start injecting a bit more speed through the midfield. Projecting forward a little though, I would like to see Gould take over this halfback general role. He has all the tools. The other guys you talk about, with the possible exception of Harry C, don't look obvious candidates to step into that role at this time although they can certainly bring some rebound and zing.

I also feel that Rampe is our best one on one defender and even though he is a great ball user can't be taken out of that role at this time. The way he went about it last year was perfect, balancing accountable defending with great rebounding and some superb ball use and kicks to teammates far upfield.

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast