Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Great expectations

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Have we forgotten Florent's obvious improvement in the latter part of the season when he went into the guts.
    No

Have we forgotten Florent's obvious improvement in the latter part of the season when he went into the guts.
    I was not a fan of Florent mainly because playing on a wing, you must be able to win or at least not lose one-on-one marking contests. Too often he lost.
    When he was starting off the half back line he seemed to gain confidence, it also allowed him to use his pace to link up and he does have good disposal skills.

At training, he was starting in the back pocket and being released into the midfield. They were talking to him a lot about getting forward and back so maybe some concerns about his tank.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    When your well over 2 metres tall you can't be expected to show much "hang time" but in the final NEAFL games SamN was clearly getting better "air" - so that may indeed be the issue.

Extreme left field thought, if Ronke doesn't make it as a forward he may be worth a try as a lockdown small defender. He's got a solid build, good closing speed and is a capable tackler.
    Not one I had thought of but not a bad idea, with his pace and tackling Ronke could turn into valuable small defender.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by tasswan View Post
    Not one I had thought of but not a bad idea, with his pace and tackling Ronke could turn into valuable small defender.
    Risky kicking could lead to too many turnovers.

Great expectations

Quote Originally Posted by graemed View Post
    I was not a fan of Florent mainly because playing on a wing, you must be able to win or at least not lose one-on-one marking contests. Too often he lost.
    When he was starting off the half back line he seemed to gain confidence, it also allowed him to use his pace to link up and he does have good disposal skills.

At training, he was starting in the back pocket and being released into the midfield. They were talking to him a lot about getting forward and back so maybe some concerns about his tank.
    I always thought Florent possessed elite endurance ? I just checked his combine results and yes , he does. No tank issues for Oli.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    I always imagined Knolls fitness / weight was an issue and they are aiming to improve his ability to get off the ground.
    I assume you are referring to his capacity to jump!
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

In 3 of the last 4 rounds this year he had 28, 29, 28 around 40% contested and a handful of clearances each time.

I assume he’ll play as a genuine onballer in 2020.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    Yes it was limited I believe.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Yes it was limited I believe.
    Which is weird, as Knoll was a basketballer.....and they can usually jump pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    I always thought Florent possessed elite endurance ? I just checked his combine results and yes , he does. No tank issues for Oli.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That’s good to hear, perhaps the talk directed at him was more about encouragement and disciplined running both ways.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Yep

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Which is weird, as Knoll was a basketballer.....and they can usually jump pretty well.
    Maybe White Men Can't Jump (1992)
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Not all basketballers need to jump: Boban Marjanovic Dunks It Without Jump -06.10.2018- |2018-19 Preseason| - YouTube.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    The race to replace captain Gumby

Stoddart and Ling need to show something this year - both are quite similar physically and the way they play, and I think their contracts are up at the end of this season. I don't mean 18 bog's in the firsts or anything ridiculous. Mcinerney was drafted a year behind them, but his contract has been extended, presumably on the back of his performances in the 2's (rather than 1st's).

All of which shows there is tangible reward available for effort, but also competition for those rewards.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast