Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Great expectations

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    oops
    Last edited by Ruck'n'Roll; 24th January 2020 at 12:57 PM.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    An unusually good season preview: The Good, Bad And Ugly - Sydney Swans 2020 Season Preview - The Mongrel Punt. It's rare to see content this good in the media. And that's without seeing the part of the article that is for subscribers only. It's not that it's brilliant but it's actually competent and that is sadly unexpected. I usually rely on RWO to provide this level of insight (sure, one has to filter through a fair bit of other stuff including people's views about the Chinese government... but I suppose that's part of the charm).

The preview evidences real knowledge of our list, including those on the fringes of the 22, like Fox. Curiously, makes absolutely no reference to our draftees. While they aren't going to be mainstays of our team, I think there is a real chance that Dyl Stephens and Will Gould will have some impact on our season. There's also persuasive discussion about our need to find a replacement for JPK and that it seems Hewett may not cut it but no mention of our up and coming players like Rowbottom and, who knows, Warner.

In short, worth a read.
    I couldn't agree more with bloodspirit or this this article. In particular the excellent discussion of Heeney (drifting), Naismith (vital), Blakey (lets not waste such a talent) and Buddy (his current on-field value)
    Last edited by Ruck'n'Roll; 24th January 2020 at 01:41 PM.

Senior Player

Red face

Ahh the first wooden spoon prediction for 2020 from a so called expert on Roar
    My predictions for the 2020 AFL season

I’m predicting a better Swans in 2020 than in 2019 but still missing the eight.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Faunac8 View Post
    I'm not even going to read that garbage.....

We might able to claim a priority pick then after finishing in bottom four last year! Agree that it will be a tightly fought season as you can throw a blanket over sides who could finish anywhere between 7th - 16th. I'm honestly not sure where we'll finish as there are so many variables at play with our list & rest of the comp. Think most need to go right for us to make the top 8 but I would be shocked if we finished last. My top 6 are West Coast, Richmond, Pies, Giants, Dogs & Brisbane.

ROFL

On a more serious note, our midfield is being decried for it's lack of X factor - it seems to me that giving Heeney many more minutes in midfield could well help in that regard.

He spent almost all of last season playing in starvation corner on the HFF. And it could well be retarding his development, and possibly Heywood's too.

Horse mentioned his marking ability was needed - presumably for Buddy's inability to take marks. Although surely we'd have enough marking options with Reid, McCartin, Blakey, Heywood and possibly Sinkers up there?

Others have mentioned his injuries, but if he's over them, then for goodness sake let's put him in the middle (rather than Mills) for extended minutes. We know he's capable of contributing to the highlights reel, let's see whether he's capable of contributing to a substantive improvement in our midfield.
    Last edited by Ruck'n'Roll; 28th January 2020 at 10:12 AM.

Its based on losing Kieren Jack, Jarrad McVeigh and Nick Smith to retirement. Seemed to forget the fact that they hardly playing in 2019 and we didnt get a spoon then.

For us to get a spoon, buddy would have to miss most games through injury (not out of the question) and our young'in's to not improve on last year (who knows)?

A spoon would be a shocking result, and i think would severely mark down the buddy deal from a (current) pass, to a fail.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Its based on losing Kieren Jack, Jarrad McVeigh and Nick Smith to retirement. Seemed to forget the fact that they hardly playing in 2019 and we didnt get a spoon then.

For us to get a spoon, buddy would have to miss most games through injury (not out of the question) and our young'in's to not improve on last year (who knows)?

A spoon would be a shocking result, and i think would severely mark down the buddy deal from a (current) pass, to a fail.
    Pretty superficial review and I guess on the surface would seem to be a huge gap. Really is a review of last year in many respects and you would think that if we didnt slip to last place without those three then it would be difficult to see how we would slip further this year. On the flip side, I dont hold high hopes for us bursting into the top four and would think a bottom eight finish would be seen by most as exceeding expectations.

I'm old school and believe we should avoid a spoon at ALL costs. History remembers things like spoons. History forgets all about 2nd or 3rd lasts.
    If, in the next year or two we do look like getting a spoon, I would be happy for short-term list management decisions which avoided it at the expense of longer-term plans.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    With or without Buddy the Billboard on the field - I cannot see us getting the spoon.

Despite his increasing age, I would hope that his last 4 years with the Swans aren't all as riddled with injury as 2019.

I also notice that he's looking increasingly heavier with time, is it possible he's making the same mistake as Stuey Maxfield did (bulking up too much and losing speed / becoming more injury prone?)

Other than that I'll continue to try to hold off on the whole pass/fail on Buddy until the contract has been concluded.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    With or without Buddy the Billboard on the field - I cannot see us getting the spoon.

Despite his increasing age, I would hope that his last 4 years with the Swans aren't all as riddled with injury as 2019.

I also notice that he's looking increasingly heavier with time, is it possible he's making the same mistake as Stuey Maxfield did (bulking up too much and losing speed / becoming more injury prone?)

Other than that I'll continue to try to hold off on the whole pass/fail on Buddy until the contract has been concluded.
    I'm surprised that Buddy should have struck you as adding weight; what I could see in the club pics is a bit of the opposite, and that he seemed to me to have dropped a kilo or two. I was pleased, obviously, and although we have a setback by way of recovery from surgery, I'm looking forward to displays of continuing brilliance!
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast