Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: #AFL General Pre Season Discussion Thread

My view is that the AFL should do the following :

1. Reduce squads as they have stated to 32-35 players to lower costs in the short term
    2. Cancel any draft at the end of the year.
    3. Change the under 18s NAB league to an under 19s NAB league
    4. Change the under 18s nationals to an under 19s nationals and the under 16s to an under 17s
    5. Reinstate the draft for end of 2021 and increase the draft age to 19
    6. Increase squad sizes end 2021 to allow for new draftees in what will then be a more bouyant competition

This will in my view provide many benefits :
    1. The draft will now be at 19s level so it takes it out of HSC year for potential draftees
    2. Draftees will have a proper season to show their potential and with a year of further development and growth under their belts.
    3. Clubs will be able to refocus on just culling their current list and rebuilding their support staff (such as recruiters which may have been put off during all this ) without then working out who to draft from what will be at best a very short under 18s carnival.

This is a very simple fix that solves a lot of problems for the AFL .

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Magoo View Post
    My view is that the AFL should do the following :

1. Reduce squads as they have stated to 32-35 players to lower costs in the short term
    2. Cancel any draft at the end of the year.
    3. Change the under 18s NAB league to an under 19s NAB league
    4. Change the under 18s nationals to an under 19s nationals and the under 16s to an under 17s
    5. Reinstate the draft for end of 2021 and increase the draft age to 19
    6. Increase squad sizes end 2021 to allow for new draftees in what will then be a more bouyant competition

This will in my view provide many benefits :
    1. The draft will now be at 19s level so it takes it out of HSC year for potential draftees
    2. Draftees will have a proper season to show their potential and with a year of further development and growth under their belts.
    3. Clubs will be able to refocus on just culling their current list and rebuilding their support staff (such as recruiters which may have been put off during all this ) without then working out who to draft from what will be at best a very short under 18s carnival.
    if the draft being cancelled.
    This is a very simple fix that solves a lot of problems for the AFL .
    Sensible approach.....and the perfect scenario to raise the draft age by a year, meaning that due to the 2020 draft being cancelled, no one technically misses out. Under the new rule, they'd have to wait until 2021 anyway.....and also, squads increase in size naturally for a few years through drafting. Perfect.

Veterans List
    Ah Magoo you've done it again.

I think you are on the 'money". I believe they have wanted to go to an Under 19 draft for some time and this allows them the perfect opportunity.

I doubt they will go to smaller lists. Who do they cull in the short term given all players have contracts. The player association will not cop that.

What could come out of this is clubs being realistic and resisting ridiculous contracts being thrown up by player managers, and players accepting that the party is over on big, fat contracts. Will the salary cap be reduced? Will media outlets paying for the rights be prepared to up the ante at the next negotiating table? Could it mean the cost of going to the footy goes up to compensate for less payments from the media? Maybe 3rd party deals may play a bigger role, with relaxed rules. Will the AFL put a ceiling on what elite players can get? Where will this end?

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Dawg View Post
    Sydney GWS Swans 2021 best 22
    B Rampe Davis Lloyd
    HB Williams Haynes Mills
    C Kelly Parker Whitfield
    HF Coniglio Franklin Heeney
    F Greene Cameron Papley
    Foll Jacobs Taranto Hopper
    Int Florent Dawson Perryman Aliir

I have assumed Ward, JPK and Shaw have retired. Depending on how Sam goes, he would be a possible in instead of Jacobs.

That's just off the top of my head. Might have missed some players but I reckon that side would be the premiership favourites.
    I admire your optimism, but I think the best 22 would be GWS plus buddy, Kennedy, mills and heeney.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    I admire your optimism, but I think the best 22 would be GWS plus buddy, Kennedy, mills and heeney.
    Rampe and Papley would make it easy, and perhaps Parker

Glad to see the govt not wasting money on the ANZ upgrade. With so many other priorities resulting from covid, money hardly needs to be splashed on upgrading ANZ at this point in time. Sensible decision

Senior Player
    Not sure where to put this, but congratulations to Dean Cox on the Hall of Fame induction. Always admired him as a player and seems a good guy. Nice interview with him on the OS.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    Not sure where to put this, but congratulations to Dean Cox on the Hall of Fame induction. Always admired him as a player and seems a good guy. Nice interview with him on the OS.
    Yet another player who would not have got an AFL gig if list sizes were 35 back then, would have just continued playing bush footy.

The more I think of what is being mooted by the AFL, the more I disagree with it. Leave list sizes and TPP the same, cut costs by reducing the footy dept costs and cut heavily into the bloated AFL administration and how about reducing some of the eye watering amounts the AFL execs get paid! Did I hear the NRL has permanently cut 150 administrators?

ND being proposed for mid December according to Muppett Barrett

I hope they dont disband the NEAFL. Right now the NEAFL is a competition that the Swans have a major say in (along with giants, lions, suns) and is run for our benefit.

If we go off and join an expanded VFL, we will have far less influence, and like the AFL will be run by victorians for victorians. Eg. Only play grand finals in Melbourne.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    I hope they dont disband the NEAFL. Right now the NEAFL is a competition that the Swans have a major say in (along with giants, lions, suns) and is run for our benefit.

If we go off and join an expanded VFL, we will have far less influence, and like the AFL will be run by victorians for victorians. Eg. Only play grand finals in Melbourne.
    I also think that the ending of sydney uni, and canberra as a consequence of disbanding neafl will set afl in nsw/act back decades. The afl academies combined with these neafl sides has made a major step forward in providing nsw talent with an opportunity to play decent footy.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast