Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: #AFL General Pre Season Discussion Thread

Apparently swans are in dire financial trouble according to brief blurb on Ch9. I wonder if the AFL will let us go under, GWS go under or force a merger? Perhaps Sydney Giants with feeder club of South Melbourne in VFL?

- - - Updated - - -

Or Sydney Swans in AFL and Giants NEAFL. Now I could live with that.

Sydney GWS Swans 2021 best 22
    B Rampe Davis Lloyd
    HB Williams Haynes Mills
    C Kelly Parker Whitfield
    HF Coniglio Franklin Heeney
    F Greene Cameron Papley
    Foll Jacobs Taranto Hopper
    Int Florent Dawson Perryman Aliir

I have assumed Ward, JPK and Shaw have retired. Depending on how Sam goes, he would be a possible in instead of Jacobs.

That's just off the top of my head. Might have missed some players but I reckon that side would be the premiership favourites.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Dawg View Post
    Apparently swans are in dire financial trouble according to brief blurb on Ch9. I wonder if the AFL will let us go under, GWS go under or force a merger? Perhaps Sydney Giants with feeder club of South Melbourne in VFL?

- - - Updated - - -

I wouldn’t take any notice of MSM. They are the kings n rulers of propagating hysteria n doom & gloom.

This virus is the perfect example. Every article tries to compare Australia to Italy & Spain. Not one mention of the data that atm compares Australia favourably with Germany, South Korea & Singapore. The countries that have this the most under control.

Decisions will not be made via these clowns.

I would expect there to be 18 clubs to finish off this season and 18 clubs in next years season.

Veterans List

- - - Updated - - -

Silly talk.....which I assume was your aim.

Bottom line is, even though they seem to hate us (or are far too easily influenced by the Vic power clubs to make life hard for us), the AFL know how important the Swans are to them in NSW.....far more important than the Giants with their meager fan base. Unless they are too proud to let their new baby go, I can't see the above happening.....no matter how dire our finances are.

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Silly talk.....which I assume was your aim.

Bottom line is, even though they seem to hate us (or are far too easily influenced by the Vic power clubs to make life hard for us), the AFL know how important the Swans are to them in NSW.....far more important than the Giants with their meager fan base. Unless they are too proud to let their new baby go, I can't see the above happening.....no matter how dire our finances are.
    Let's hope so. I suspect though that the AFL (and NRL) have no idea who will be left after this is all done and dusted. But I did enjoy dreaming of cheering for a combined Swans / GWS lineup. It would dominate the competition.

Suspended by the MRP
    The AFL's priority will be all eighteen clubs making it out of this crisis as unscathed as possible. If this means mass job losses (even on a permanent basis), do not for one second think the AFL executives would be above letting that happen. They, like every other executive branch of every other corporation in Australia and around the world, will do whatever is necessary to sustain their business.

What I see as most likely outcome will be eighteen clubs playing in 2021 in a significantly more stripped-back competition. Alterations to the broadcasts, a much smaller football department both in general and in the coaches box on game day, smaller team lists, and most likely a major reduction in trade activity. In essence it will be less spectacle, more grass-roots, as if it's the AFL returning to the days of the VFL in the 1960s, before the last two administrations made it the revenue-dependent conglomerate it is today. I would call it karma to an industry that has repeatedly prioritised corporate benefits over the integrity of the game or fan enjoyment, but that would be disrespecting the millions of lives that will be impacted by this pandemic.

But I did enjoy dreaming of cheering for a combined Swans / GWS lineup. It would dominate the competition.
    As long as they were called the Sydney Swans and wore red & white, I’d be fine with that

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post
    As long as they were called the Sydney Swans and wore red & white, I’d be fine with that
    Let me see, 150 years of history versus 9 years of history, it'll be red and white!

All AFL clubs will survive but the 2021 model onwards may look a whole lot different. What the second tier comp looks like will be the interesting one.

Talk in the media that lists may be as few as 32-35. as an exercise to amuse yourself at home, do the swans list for 2021 using those numbers. Assume existing contracts are voided.

1. Naismith
    2. Kennedy
    3. Parker
    4. Buddy
    5. Rampe
    6. Heeney
    7. Mills
    etc

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Let me see, 150 years of history versus 9 years of history, it'll be red and white!

All AFL clubs will survive but the 2021 model onwards may look a whole lot different. What the second tier comp looks like will be the interesting one.

Talk in the media that lists may be as few as 32-35. as an exercise to amuse yourself at home, do the swans list for 2021 using those numbers. Assume existing contracts are voided.

1. Naismith
    2. Kennedy
    3. Parker
    4. Buddy
    5. Rampe
    6. Heeney
    7. Mills
    etc
    1. Rampe
    2. Parker
    3. Kennedy
    4. Franklin
    5. Heeney
    6. Mills
    7. Lloyd
    8. Papley
    9. Hewett
    10. Aliir
    11. Dawson
    12. Florent
    13. Naismith
    14. Hayward
    15. Cunningham
    16. Blakey
    17. Rowbottom
    18. McCartin
    19. Reid
    20. Gray
    21. Brand
    22. O’Riordan
    23. McInerney
    24. Stephens
    25. Gould
    26. L. Taylor
    27. Ronke
    28. Ling
    29. Foot
    30. Warner
    31. E. Taylor

The rest are not safe

Basically anyone with a rookie contract or coming out of contract this year will be in jeopardy: Clarke, Thurlow, Maibaum, Reynolds, Bell, Stoddart, O’Connor, Rowles, McLean, Fox, Melican, Wicks, Amartey and Knoll. Quite a few I like the look of who in ordinary circumstances would be given another year, but if lists are reduced, we may have no choice but to cut ties with many, if not all of them.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    1. Rampe
    2. Parker
    3. Kennedy
    4. Franklin
    5. Heeney
    6. Mills
    7. Lloyd
    8. Papley
    9. Hewett
    10. Aliir
    11. Dawson
    12. Florent
    13. Naismith
    14. Hayward
    15. Cunningham
    16. Blakey
    17. Rowbottom
    18. McCartin
    19. Reid
    20. Gray
    21. Brand
    22. O’Riordan
    23. McInerney
    24. Stephens
    25. Gould
    26. L. Taylor
    27. Ronke
    28. Ling
    29. Foot
    30. Warner
    31. E. Taylor

The rest are not safe

Basically anyone with a rookie contract or coming out of contract this year will be in jeopardy: Clarke, Thurlow, Maibaum, Reynolds, Bell, Stoddart, O’Connor, Rowles, McLean, Fox, Melican, Wicks, Amartey and Knoll. Quite a few I like the look of who in ordinary circumstances would be given another year, but if lists are reduced, we may have no choice but to cut ties with many, if not all of them.
    Will be interesting to see how that would work at NEAFL level. If you assume that five players will be injured at any one time , then that leaves in a squad of 32 , 5 players to play NEAFL.

Thats a huge amount to supplement from the academy(assuming the academys still can operate post COVID) and even if you allow 9 NDS players its still a big amount when you also have an expanded NAB league plus 18s carnival.

Veterans List
    Carlton have tossed in the towel on their VFL side, don't think anyone knows what the second tier comp will look like in Vic and the northern states.

A lot to figure out comp wise once the virus eventually departs our shores. Will the severe reduction in costs at AFL clubs kill reserves sides?

You would think that we'll eradicate (hopefully) the virus sooner than those overseas countries that haven't or can't control it. So I'd assume that state border controls will be lifted once we have the virus controlled but international borders will stay closed for some time after that as we don't want to start importing it again. Not sure where that will leave international players that went home. I notice COR has stayed in Sydney, smart lad!

Regular in the Side
    Doubt if we will see a NEAFL next year.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast