Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
Results 85 to 90 of 90

Thread: #AFL General Pre Season Discussion Thread

  1. #85
    Veterans List
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Crowland :-(
    Posts
    4,341
    Quote Originally Posted by barracuda View Post
    I also think that the ending of sydney uni, and canberra as a consequence of disbanding neafl will set afl in nsw/act back decades. The afl academies combined with these neafl sides has made a major step forward in providing nsw talent with an opportunity to play decent footy.
    Watch the Victorians, and remember fat chins is on the AFL's working party, design something that works best for the Vic clubs! This crisis may make them even more Vicentric

  2. #86
    I can't see how an expanded VFL will be cheaper anyway. It will require more and longer flights.

  3. #87
    Quote Originally Posted by barracuda View Post
    I also think that the ending of sydney uni, and canberra as a consequence of disbanding neafl will set afl in nsw/act back decades. The afl academies combined with these neafl sides has made a major step forward in providing nsw talent with an opportunity to play decent footy.
    Important point! Is that a fact/done deal? Sydney Uni and Canberra footy clubs have "ended"?
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

  4. #88
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Important point! Is that a fact/done deal? Sydney Uni and Canberra footy clubs have "ended"?
    No it is not fact. Rather assuming the four AFL sides pull out of the NEAFL, the comp is probably dead. Further the AFL is not likely to want to subsidize the travel, especially if the funds are going to a new eastern reserves comp.

  5. #89
    Travelling Swannie!! mcs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    5,396
    Quote Originally Posted by barracuda View Post
    I also think that the ending of sydney uni, and canberra as a consequence of disbanding neafl will set afl in nsw/act back decades. The afl academies combined with these neafl sides has made a major step forward in providing nsw talent with an opportunity to play decent footy.
    If they want to can it for a year or two, I could almost understand it. But it'll be a huge backwards step to remove it all together, as is likely to happen it seems. Would be an easy way to set the code back a long way in terms of developing an infrastructure beyond the elite level.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

  6. #90
    Quote Originally Posted by barracuda View Post
    No it is not fact. Rather assuming the four AFL sides pull out of the NEAFL, the comp is probably dead. Further the AFL is not likely to want to subsidize the travel, especially if the funds are going to a new eastern reserves comp.
    Thanks for the clarification.

    So, if the 4 AFL teams pull out of the NEAFL wouldn't the NEAFL teams then form alternate competitions? I guess the point is that those competitions would be inferior and might not be able to extend interstate and so 'degenerate' (if you will) to a local level of competition - is that right? Even still, wouldn't the clubs continue? Don't those clubs already participate in different levels of competition?
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO