Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: What to do with no footy to watch

What to do with no footy to watch

i have always subscribed to the old saying "there is nothing like a great distraction"

I suspect that life without much footy this year will also be a pivot point for us to review "what really makes us happy"

Footy and talking about it, i enjoy, but there are many other areas of life that are much more satisfying
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    i have always subscribed to the old saying "there is nothing like a great distraction"

I suspect that life without much footy this year will also be a pivot point for us to review "what really makes us happy"

Footy and talking about it, i enjoy, but there are many other areas of life that are much more satisfying
    Almost all of them off limits to us now! A big stash of top shelf Shiraz my sole pleasure left!

luckily "happiness is the product of pursuits"

Veterans List

Well, we can only hope that society has a positive reset during this forced crisis.....but so far we haven't seen a lot of positives, mainly society exposing itself as quite selfish and "me, me".

As I said......we can only hope. This could all lead to a better, more caring society.....or it could lead to a breakdown of society.

Having said that.....I think we will truly relish the return of footy.....whenever that may be. I know I will.

What to do with no footy to watch

Its a fascinating period to be in

I thought Split Enz said "history never repeats" ??

if we move on from footy for now, where do we direct our attention?

If we dont have footy for now as a distraction where doe our hours of being on the forum or watching games etc per week shift to?

Have we seen other periods in history where there was a significant change in values or mother nature a disruptor such as the earthquake that ruined large parts of the Colosseum and a change in values that didnt want the entertainment any more?

Decline of the Colosseum - Failing Roman Economy
    At the height of its popularity the cost of the gladiatorial games at the Colosseum came to one third of the total income of the Roman Empire. The emperors who followed Honorius at first commissioned repairs to the Colosseum (after the earthquake) but as its political importance declined, together with the wealth of the Roman Empire, so did the enthusiasm for spending money on repairs. Constant warfare required heavy military spending. The Roman government was constantly threatened by bankruptcy and the emperors spent money on wars.

Senior Player

if we move on from footy for now, where do we direct our attention?

If we dont have footy for now as a distraction where doe our hours of being on the forum or watching games etc per week shift to?
    There is a great Ken Burns series on the history of country music on SBS On Demand I'd highly recommend.
    Last edited by liz; 25th March 2020 at 05:12 PM. Reason: Fixed quotation formatting

Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post

There is a great Ken Burns series on the history of country music on SBS On Demand I'd highly recommend.
    Suppose you don't like country music?

I recommend reading Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus by Ludwig Wittgenstein. After 10 years, when you think you just might understand it, you can PM me and we can discuss it. That takes you to 2030 and the AFL should be up and running again. That is, until climate change causes massive droughts and the whole country burns down.

We are in lockdown in this villa in Phuket. Might be stuck here for a couple of months or more. Who knows? So if you're bored, you all invited to come and stay with us and we can pass the days discussing the new Swans' game plan.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by liz; 25th March 2020 at 05:14 PM. Reason: Fixed quotation formatting

Senior Player
    Cut it out, Ludwig.
    I read the Wittgenstein during the pilots' strike in '66.
    I'd rather sit through every Collingwood game ever played than tackle it again....and that's saying something.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Suppose you don't like country music?

I recommend reading Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus by Ludwig Wittgenstein. After 10 years, when you think you just might understand it, you can PM me and we can discuss it. That takes you to 2030 and the AFL should be up and running again. That is, until climate change causes massive droughts and the whole country burns down.
    Last edited by liz; 25th March 2020 at 05:15 PM. Reason: Fixed quotation formatting and trimmed amount of post quoted

Two things. getting by watching 2012 and 2005 replays and 2005 Davis saves us final. Any other suggestions??

Whats the go with membership $$, refunds etc??

Senior Player
    Over at Squiggle, they've decided to simulate the season using the models normally used to predict results for tipping:

Virtually Season 2020 - Squiggle

I'm the first to admit it's not riveting viewing, but it's something.

Me, I see a lot more bushwalks in my future weekends, which is no bad thing.

Apart from continuing to work from home, and getting to all those odd jobs around the place, I'll be keeping pretty busy.

When it comes to the footy, I need my fix. So in lieu of a live competition, I'll be revisiting our 2005 and 2012 finals campaigns as well as watching the sole 2020 match.

There are some books I want to get to:
    - Shaw's The Bloodbath (The1945 VFL GF)
    - Diesel The Greg Williams Story
    - Blainey's A Game of Our Own
    - Richardson's The Game of Their Lives (the 1916 London exhibition match)

I'll be pumping up the Sherrin and having a kick in my backyard as well as checking in here every day.

I might resort to looking at my Swans card collection which goes back to when I started watching the game and flicking through some AFL Records.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark26 View Post
    Apart from continuing to work from home, and getting to all those odd jobs around the place, I'll be keeping pretty busy.

When it comes to the footy, I need my fix. So in lieu of a live competition, I'll be revisiting our 2005 and 2012 finals campaigns as well as watching the sole 2020 match.

There are some books I want to get to:
    - Shaw's The Bloodbath (The1945 VFL GF)
    - Diesel The Greg Williams Story
    - Blainey's A Game of Our Own
    - Richardson's The Game of Their Lives (the 1916 London exhibition match)

I'll be pumping up the Sherrin and having a kick in my backyard as well as checking in here every day.

I might resort to looking at my Swans card collection which goes back to when I started watching the game and flicking through some AFL Records.
    Love to hear about your Swans card collection. And Swans book collection - if you have one. I’ve got Diesel & Bloodbath, both good reads.

As far as watching goes, a couple of good picks there, but might I also recommend the 3 consecutive games from R17 1987?

Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast