Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread: 2020 NEAFL discussion thread

Assuming Sydney (and GWS) form standalone reserves/VFL teams, the interesting point of this new structure will be who do they fill those teams with? Apart from the AFL listed players who makes up the other 6-10 spots? Previously when playing NEAFL they would fill it with Academy boys and still be competitive. In an AFL reserves comp they won’t be competitive against mostly experienced big bodied footballers. Means that Academy players will have fewer opportunities to play Swans reserves which diminishes their Academy experience.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The AFL site has just put out this article, about the new second tier competition, that will merge the VFL and the NEAFL.

East coast second-tier comp locked in

Unfortunately, I find much of it as clear as mud. If anyone knows a bit more about it the competition structure, could they please share?

On the Rookie List
    Who knows how it might work, but am excited at the prospect of seeing the seconds play in Melbourne occasionally.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    The AFL site has just put out this article, about the new second tier competition, that will merge the VFL and the NEAFL.

East coast second-tier comp locked in

Unfortunately, I find much of it as clear as mud. If anyone knows a bit more about it the competition structure, could they please share?
    Hello, is that you AFL? :-)

Not sure the AFL has got much further with their thinking and planning than what they've released but reckon some of those stand alone clubs will be strong competition, particularly if list sizes are reduced

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    22 teams in a 16 round season. Means that some teams won’t meet each other in the regular season. And what will the finals cut off be. Top 8? Top 10?

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    22 teams in a 16 round season. Means that some teams won’t meet each other in the regular season. And what will the finals cut off be. Top 8? Top 10?
    Yes, but from that somewhat confusing article, I'm not sure if there are 22 teams? It says that there's 22 licenses, of which there's 19 stand alone clubs and 3 aligned clubs. From that, I'm not sure if the aligned clubs are supposed to merge with another aligned club? Which leaves a merged team of 3 clubs. Or are the aligned clubs supposed to merge with a stand alone club? Which means 3 stand alone clubs, won't actually be standing alone? Or if we do end up with 22 teams, then what's the difference between stand alone clubs and aligned clubs?

Actually, looking at this statement; "The salary cap is set at $200,000 for standalone clubs and $100,000 for AFL and aligned clubs."
    And this list:
    "Standalone Second-Tier Clubs: Aspley, Coburg, Frankston, Northern Bullants, Port Melbourne, Southport, Werribee, Williamstown
    Standalone AFL Clubs: Brisbane Lions, Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon, Footscray, Geelong Cats, Gold Coast SUNS, GWS GIANTS, North Melbourne, Richmond, Sydney Swans
    Aligned Clubs: Sandringham, Box Hill Hawks, Casey Demons".

I now suspect that Sandringham, Box Hill and Casey are each supposed to merge with a Victorian AFL club. Otherwise, why would they have a salary cap that's half that of Aspley, Coburg, Frankston, etc?

And with our salary cap of $100,000; I'm guessing that will be to give contracts to some sort of academy train on squad? I doubt if that would cover the contracts of our rookie list? And I assume that it would have nothing to do with the contracts of senior list players, who are playing in the reserves?

Sandringham, Box Hill, and Coburg are the aligned clubs of St Kilda, Hawthorn, and Melbourne respectively. Not sure why those three clubs aren’t running their own teams (cost?) but that would explain the salary cap difference

Sandringham, Box Hill, and Coburg are the aligned clubs of St Kilda, Hawthorn, and Melbourne respectively. Not sure why those three clubs aren’t running their own teams (cost?) but that would explain the salary cap difference
    Okay, that makes sense. 22 teams it is (er...probably).

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Actually, looking at this statement; "The salary cap is set at $200,000 for standalone clubs and $100,000 for AFL and aligned clubs."
    And this list:
    "Standalone Second-Tier Clubs: Aspley, Coburg, Frankston, Northern Bullants, Port Melbourne, Southport, Werribee, Williamstown
    Standalone AFL Clubs: Brisbane Lions, Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon, Footscray, Geelong Cats, Gold Coast SUNS, GWS GIANTS, North Melbourne, Richmond, Sydney Swans
    Aligned Clubs: Sandringham, Box Hill Hawks, Casey Demons".

I now suspect that Sandringham, Box Hill and Casey are each supposed to merge with a Victorian AFL club. Otherwise, why would they have a salary cap that's half that of Aspley, Coburg, Frankston, etc?

And with our salary cap of $100,000; I'm guessing that will be to give contracts to some sort of academy train on squad? I doubt if that would cover the contracts of our rookie list? And I assume that it would have nothing to do with the contracts of senior list players, who are playing in the reserves?
    The $100k would be to pay non listed players, seperate from the listed contracts

With Sydney Uni not part of the comp i wonder if some of their players will become part of the non-listed component of our VFL/NEAFL team

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Maybe the 2021 season is a shortened 17-round season next year in the AFL as well?
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast