Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 NEAFL discussion thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar

2020 NEAFL discussion thread

Draw is out!

2020 Toyota NEAFL Premiership Season Fixture Released | NEWS | NEAFL

Beware: the link in that page purporting to be a PDF document of the draw is actually a huge image of the draw

With the demise of the NT Thunder, there are now 9 teams and now 5 finals spots (down from 6). Somehow this has turned into a 4 week finals series instead of the 3 weeks that has been running for a few years now.

From a Swans point of view, no curtain raisers again I assume to protect the SCG pitch while the SFS is still being rebuilt. However strangely after all the hoo-hah made about the redevelopment of Lakeside Oval, no games are scheduled there (there are 2 TBCs) and we are using Blacktown as our home ground again with 6 games scheduled there.

Our trip to the NT of course is gone and is replaced by a second game against Sydney Uni.

Swans draw
    R1 Gold Coast (Metricon)
    R2 Sydney Uni (TBC)
    R3 GIANTS (Blacktown)
    R4 Brisbane (Moreton Bay)
    R5 Bye
    R6 Canberra (Phillip Oval)
    R7 Gold Coast (Metricon)
    R8 Redland (Blacktown)
    R9 GIANTS (Giants Stadium)
    R10 Sydney Uni (Henson Park)
    R11 Bye
    R12 Brisbane (South Pine)
    R13 GIANTS (Giants Stadium)
    R14 Aspley (Blacktown)
    R15 Gold Coast (Blacktown)
    R16 Brisbane (Blacktown)
    R17 Giants (Giants Stadium)
    R18 Southport (Fankhauser Reserve)
    R19 Gold Coast (TBC)
    R20 Bye
    R21 Brisbane (Blacktown)

Cannot believe we don't get to see the 2's at Lakeside. Bloody disappointed.

I just don't understand why this is the case. Anybody care to explain?

Quote Originally Posted by Molly dooker View Post
    Cannot believe we don't get to see the 2's at Lakeside. Bloody disappointed.

I just don't understand why this is the case. Anybody care to explain?
    The ground has been assessed as sub-standard for NEAFL football due to lack of facilities. While the surface and dimensions are very good there are no coaches boxes, benches, change rooms, or broadcast facilities.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordian Knot View Post
    The ground has been assessed as sub-standard for NEAFL football due to lack of facilities. While the surface and dimensions are very good there are no coaches boxes, benches, change rooms, or broadcast facilities.
    If only there was an NEAFL or better standard AFL venue with adequate facilities for coaches, benches etc. etc. somewhere near that ANZAC parade/Showgrounds precinct.

So when will the Leaugies, ruggerbuggers and wogballers going to leave the SCG?
    Last edited by Ruck'n'Roll; 6th January 2020 at 08:46 AM.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Thanks ugg! I have been impatient for this thread. Very excited about our prospects in the NEAFL - we will have a young exciting team with heaps of new talent to watch: McInerney, Foot, Ling, Knoll, McLean, Reynolds, Stephens, Gould, Elijah Taylor and, last but not least, Warner. [I can already envisage the placard: This means WARner!!!] Major bummer that none of the games will be at Lakeside. I would be about 10 times more likely to attend. Feels like it will be more of a nursery for future stars than mostly second stringers. Plus there are likely to be some more players with senior experience to mix in with them - either the new recruits or the players those new recruits bump out of seniors. So much to look forward to provided we maintain such a healthy list.

Goes up to 11
    How disgraceful that our Reserves are shunted out to Blacktown. Pathetic.

Yeah it is a shame there is no games at Lakeside. I would have gone to every game I could. And for games held before the senior fixture, they would have got a decent crowd checking them out.

Also nice for the first year players to experience playing in front of a home crowd.
    Last edited by SeanM; 20th December 2019 at 06:48 PM.

"I'll be coming down the Mountain when the play"....
    .. at Blacktown

- - - Updated - - -

they

Quote Originally Posted by Gordian Knot View Post
    Thank you. That explains it clearly.

Still frustrated by it though.

Game against Lions was played there as you probably know and no one was complaining. I'm happy, as I'm sure many others are, to put up with the current conditions rather than not see the 2's play.

My 2c.

The Sun's should be a powerhouse this year. They have so many listed players they may not even be able to give some of them a run in the NEAFL: 'The AFL hasn't seen a list this big': Why size matters for the Suns.

Veterans List
    How strong could Gold Coast potentially be this year with 51 listed players on their expanded list. Might never have to call on top ups, a bit like Brisbane last year with almost no injuries.

Just scrutinising the fixture more closely, I note it is not quite correct to say there are no curtain raisers from a Swans point of view. We have no curtain raisers for home games (no doubt what ugg meant) but we do have two curtain raisers for away games, one of which is in Sydney (at Homebush) on 25 July before our R19 AFL away game (both against GWS). The other one is our NEAFL season opener at Metricon on 5 April before our R3 AFL game.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast