Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: 2020 NEAFL discussion thread

Quote Originally Posted by barracuda View Post
    Ling did not play. Stoddart played off the half back as usual. He was ok, got some ball and was pretty clean. Not AFL standard at the moment however but a solid contributor.
    Any idea why Ling didn’t play? Not another bloody injury, I hope!

Quote Originally Posted by Gordian Knot View Post
    Any idea why Ling didn’t play? Not another bloody injury, I hope!
    He was in today’s training picture gallery.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    In unexpected news, the NEAFL to merge with the VFL for 2021. It's an interesting move given the current climate and the move to cut costs. There are currently 9 clubs in the NEAFL and 15 in the VFL so I'm not sure how a 24 team league is going to work.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    In unexpected news, the NEAFL to merge with the VFL for 2021. It's an interesting move given the current climate and the move to cut costs. There are currently 9 clubs in the NEAFL and 15 in the VFL so I'm not sure how a 24 team league is going to work.

Great news for us, though.

Veterans List
    9+15=24 so 23 game season!

Stunned at this news, travel costs will be big at a time when there's no money, very strange decision. And Covid is far from over so maybe no second tier next year anyway!

Veteran Site Admin
    I think it's a baffling move, and a terrible one for us. It would be baffling even in normal circumstances, but even more so when the competition is looking to trim costs, not add them.

At the moment we effectively have a free source of top-up players. (I don't know if the underage academy players get a match payment for NEAFL games, but if they do, I imagine it's a pittance.) While the U18 (soon to be U19) championships are on, the very bottom aged academy players get a run. Some of these guys are barely 16 years old. It fills a hole in the NEAFL system, even though many of these academy players struggle somewhat against the mature bodies of the NEAFL competition. But a lot of the NEAFL sides are also pretty young so it just about works.

The VFL has a good number of players running around who are close to AFL standard. Each year some will get drafted and go on to make an immediate impact at AFL level. Even those who don't quite have what it takes to make it at the next level are still typically older, bigger and stronger. Most of the teams the Swans have put out in the NEAFL competition would get completely wiped away by an average VFL side. Playing in a team getting trounced does close to nothing for our own young listed players, and will do even less for the academy players, were they still to be used.

That suggests we're going to have to find some mature top up players from somewhere. I can't think where. The Sydney Uni team has started to attract a few from the other state leagues or recent AFL players but they are pretty few and far between. Regardless of how or where we find them, it will cost money.

And that's before you factor in the additional travel and infrastructure costs.

I don't believe there is compelling evidence that our draftees' development has been slowed by playing NEAFL rather than VFL.

I assume it would be a conference system. Where instead of playing every side once, you end up playing more games against geographically closer teams.

I think it would be good long term if teams like Sydney Uni can afford a side. Academy players that miss out can compete against VFL sides which is seen as more impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    The VFL has a good number of players running around who are close to AFL standard. Each year some will get drafted and go on to make an immediate impact at AFL level. Even those who don't quite have what it takes to make it at the next level are still typically older, bigger and stronger. Most of the teams the Swans have put out in the NEAFL competition would get completely wiped away by an average VFL side. Playing in a team getting trounced does close to nothing for our own young listed players, and will do even less for the academy players, were they still to be used.
    If that is the case.

It would be good to loosen up the rules with ex academy players to be able to keep them around for a few more years to form a core of the reserve side.

Players like Thorne, Gaden, Parks and Barling might have enjoyed competing against VFL sides in Swans colours. So even if they don't get drafted they still get to play for the Swans at a competitive level.

I note that on AFL site it says:

‘The AFL clubs in Queensland, New South Wales and Victoria will be able to either field a standalone team, align with an existing second-tier club or spread their AFL-listed players across multiple second-tier clubs.’

NEAFL joins forces with VFL to form eastern seaboard comp

Possibly the Swans & GWS will amalgamate for this comp thereby eliminating need for top-up players? This was mooted some months ago.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I think it's a baffling move, and a terrible one for us. It would be baffling even in normal circumstances, but even more so when the competition is looking to trim costs, not add them.

At the moment we effectively have a free source of top-up players. (I don't know if the underage academy players get a match payment for NEAFL games, but if they do, I imagine it's a pittance.) While the U18 (soon to be U19) championships are on, the very bottom aged academy players get a run. Some of these guys are barely 16 years old. It fills a hole in the NEAFL system, even though many of these academy players struggle somewhat against the mature bodies of the NEAFL competition. But a lot of the NEAFL sides are also pretty young so it just about works.

That suggests we're going to have to find some mature top up players from somewhere. I can't think where. The Sydney Uni team has started to attract a few from the other state leagues or recent AFL players but they are pretty few and far between. Regardless of how or where we find them, it will cost money.

And that's before you factor in the additional travel and infrastructure costs.

I don't believe there is compelling evidence that our draftees' development has been slowed by playing NEAFL rather than VFL.
    While the detail will obviously be important, it's interesting in that it seems to be quite different to the amalgamated development league Harley flagged in May: "AFL club chiefs back push for new 14-team reserves competition" AFL club chiefs back push for new 14-team reserves competition.

Still, we'll see what Harley says now but I'll be surprised if he's against it, given he appears to have been part of working on it.

I think the reason it's good for us is flagged in your post: the competition will be better. As Harley said in that May article: “The concept is to develop a culture of winning and competing".

The question of how we'd fill out our team is an interesting one, but I don't think the answer is necessarily bad for us or one we're unhappy with.

Senior Player
    Here's Pridham from a few months ago, in favour of a national reserves competition where 'everyone has an equal opportunity', and against merging with GWS reserves to participate: "AFL 2020: Sydney Swans chairman Andrew Pridham says play on, reverses opposition to AFL playing in coronavirus crisis" AFL 2020: Sydney Swans chairman Andrew Pridham says play on, reverses opposition to AFL playing in coronavirus crisis.

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    I note that on AFL site it says:

‘The AFL clubs in Queensland, New South Wales and Victoria will be able to either field a standalone team, align with an existing second-tier club or spread their AFL-listed players across multiple second-tier clubs.’

NEAFL joins forces with VFL to form eastern seaboard comp

Possibly the Swans & GWS will amalgamate for this comp thereby eliminating need for top-up players? This was mooted some months ago.
    My guess if there's mergers, it will probably be along the lines of; Southport Suns, Sydney University Swans, Canberra Giants, Williamstown Bulldogs, etc. Some might work in the short term, but I think that once the game gets back to a healthier financial state, then there will be a certain amount of lobbying, for the arranged marriages to be annulled.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast