Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 16222324252627 LastLast

Thread: Season 2020

Great result on Saturday - but I admit to a bias here.
    In another year, we'd probably all hope it played out differently. But, hey, the league was able to put together a good season, even though it was patched together a bit and some eligibity rules were probably bent a bit - at least we got a competition which is better than many places got.
    I'm thinking that the history books will have an ***asterisk*** next to 2020.

Can someone let us know who won the Rod Podbury for the best on ground - I'm sure that Rod would be happy with the high standard of the comp this year (asterisk and all), and would be honoured to be associated with whoever the BOG was.

Pushing for Selection
    Tim Barton (Sydney Uni) was the Podbury medallist and rightfully so. Took 3-4 contested marks late in the game when UNSW were just banging it in.

Barton was outstanding.

Almost Football Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by justabaraker View Post
    Great result on Saturday - but I admit to a bias here.
    In another year, we'd probably all hope it played out differently. But, hey, the league was able to put together a good season, even though it was patched together a bit and some eligibity rules were probably bent a bit - at least we got a competition which is better than many places got.
    I'm thinking that the history books will have an ***asterisk*** next to 2020.
    It may be an asterisk season for some; but I'm sure anyone at Sydney Uni will tell you they'd rather win an asterisk premiership than not win it.
    2020 was certainly an unusual year, but thankfully we got a season in; which was looking unlikely for quite a while. And there was some seriously good footy played at various times during the year.

Follow me on Twitter - @tealfooty

Given we were on a streak of four losing Prem Div GFs in the last ten years, we don’t mind how it comes. It was a great day for the club and supporters. Maybe if we hadn’t done the NEAFL we might have won a couple more in the past ten years but it’s just great for us to see loyal clubmen like Tim Barton, Mitch Thompson and Al Clarke finally get one. We know people hate us, that’s fine.

The season was a different one and certainly there were couple of sides that were right off the pace but North Shore, UNSW and our side were three of the better PD sides in many years I would say. Winning a flag and having to beat two of those teams to do it was a big ask, and that’s no knock on Saints either who were very good in their finals victory as well. The finals I was at - UNSW x 2 and the Prelim - were three of the tightest, evenly matched games I’ve seen in a long time in Sydney. Shame the wind ruined the second half on Saturday though!

Interesting to see what shakes out next year - I’d be fairly confident we won’t be in the VFL, but who knows what the season will look like. Probably the ten clubs and an 18 round comp but you just never know.

Quote Originally Posted by Norris Lurker View Post
    It may be an asterisk season for some; but I'm sure anyone at Sydney Uni will tell you they'd rather win an asterisk premiership than not win it.
    2020 was certainly an unusual year, but thankfully we got a season in; which was looking unlikely for quite a while. And there was some seriously good footy played at various times during the year.

Quote Originally Posted by The Student View Post
    Given we were on a streak of four losing Prem Div GFs in the last ten years, we don’t mind how it comes. It was a great day for the club and supporters. Maybe if we hadn’t done the NEAFL we might have won a couple more in the past ten years but it’s just great for us to see loyal clubmen like Tim Barton, Mitch Thompson and Al Clarke finally get one. We know people hate us, that’s fine.

The season was a different one and certainly there were couple of sides that were right off the pace but North Shore, UNSW and our side were three of the better PD sides in many years I would say. Winning a flag and having to beat two of those teams to do it was a big ask, and that’s no knock on Saints either who were very good in their finals victory as well. The finals I was at - UNSW x 2 and the Prelim - were three of the tightest, evenly matched games I’ve seen in a long time in Sydney. Shame the wind ruined the second half on Saturday though!

Interesting to see what shakes out next year - I’d be fairly confident we won’t be in the VFL, but who knows what the season will look like. Probably the ten clubs and an 18 round comp but you just never know.
    Well done on the Syd Uni win as I’m sure it was satisfying to quite a few after numerous near misses.
    Well done to Sydney AFL for getting the reduced season up in the face of numerous obstacles. Plenty on this site are critical of them but to their credit when it would have been easy to throw in the towel they kept pushing to make it happen.
    Well done to all clubs for acting responsibly to minimise any Covid issues and resting players who may have been infected.
    So what needs to happen in 2021? The big observation from me is how one sided the company has become with more +10 goal floggings than ever, and even numerous 100 point and 200 point floggings.
    Are we happy to let this continue?
    If not what can be done to make the bottom 4 or 5 teams competitive?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Player
    Congratulations Sydney Uni in prems and to all the other winners in 2020.

Despite what many here think about those running the game in Sydney just getting the season up and then seeing it finished was a fantastic achievement.

Take the time step back and look at grassroots AFL in its whole this season in particular what we saw in Victoria who experienced no real football. Just having the opportunity in Sydney to play a season at all should be a huge tick.

I know first hand by working with Simon, Lauren and their small team just how much work they did just to restart the season. It became even more evident through working with them in the planning of finals series and its subsequent implementation. The obstacles which were presented and successfully overcome is a credit to their team.

Our finals series was a week to week proposition with Sydney AFL closely monitored by the authorities so whilst some of the measures may have seemed draconian they were necessary.

The work that their small team did will go a long way to in forging a pathway that allows a return to a more normal season in 2021 and I believe we all owe them all our gratitude.

Any news on the local footy front for 2021? Any changes in the local league? Assume no Sydney teams in the VFL? What about Swans / Giants top-up players with the Rams program now under 19s?
    If anyone with inside knowledge please update.

Rumour is that Platinum is to expand to 10 teams - UTS and Campbelltown joining. Prems to go to 9 teams.

Almost Football Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wills View Post
    Any news on the local footy front for 2021? Any changes in the local league? Assume no Sydney teams in the VFL? What about Swans / Giants top-up players with the Rams program now under 19s?
    If anyone with inside knowledge please update.
    Nothing's been finalised yet.
    Giants and Swans will presumably continue to draw top-up players from Sydney when they join the VFL; but whether they go with Academy kids or older players remains to be seen.

Follow me on Twitter - @tealfooty

What I’ve heard:
    UTS considered Platinum but will stay in Prems.
    Syd Uni, North Shore, and UNSW considering a state wide league including Canberra clubs.
    Syd Uni also considering option to join VFL as are Southport. But everyone is on hold waiting to see what GWS and Swans do re reserves teams in VFL. But this decision can’t be made until AFL announce list sizes and soft cap spending limits, as that outcome will impact all clubs reserves teams and budgets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Regular in the Side
    I find it fascinating that many clubs seem to be unsatisfied to play in a local Sydney competition. There is some attraction, the need to spread your wings, the grass looks greener playing in some new elitist comp.
    Nearly 120 years of history of Sydney footy seems to be worth little.
    I think this year proved that the standard and health of Sydney footy is maximised if we stop pandering to the Swans and Giants need to keep their fringe players fit and focus on ourselves and the local product.
    Does anyone give a rats who comes 3rd and 4th in an elitist competition? Because when the Swans and Giants reserves are in it most times that’s the best you will get.
    This continual restructure of AFL competitions in NSW does little for the health and growth of the game in our backyard.
    Without the solid backing of a money stream such as a licensed club I fear these models are unsustainable. At least if footy is kept local there is a chance to keep costs low and affordable.
    There are many examples of clubs who reach for the stars and soon realise it wasn’t all that was promised. The Jim Beam Cup in rugby league, the ups and downs of footy in the ACT and the lead up to the demise of the NEAFL are prime examples of this.
    Where would the above possibility leave clubs like Penno and ECE? These clubs are the true nursery of footy in the region.
    The problem that the AFL has not having a reserves competition should not be solved at the expense of SydneyAFL.