Page 8 of 27 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: Season 2020

Quote Originally Posted by Pmcc2911 View Post
    Get the feeling NSW head office are looking for an excuse to call off the season.
    Tiffany the acting CEO was on the news tonight saying they are look for a “traditional “season, what ever that means starting in August.
    An August start will be too late.
    Very disappointing. The rhetoric on the importance of building the code in NSW at grassroots level is being revealed as a low business (i.e. financial) priority it seems. Those with the reins for our region are weak advocates it seems and/or the AFL is run much more poorly and less sustainably than I ever would have imagined. Maybe when a date is given by government the clubs can get together and organise some sort of lower cost short comp and simply contract in some resourcing like umpires (they have the grounds, the players and the volunteers after all). It would not make much sense to fork out affiliation fees at the levels they are tapped, even pro-rata. Clubs care for members who want to play, AFL is big business dealing with their big issues, not community.

Sorry misquoted above, the commentary said AFL hope to be playing “by” August.

Strong rumour

9th June more major community leagues to announce done and off for 2020

10th June meetings between clubs

One thing for sure the discussion between league, clubs and stakeholders been poor.

If there is no season I am confident there will be football just won’t be in the form of a official competition

I think by the end of next week there will be some concrete answers one way or the other

A August season is late, the discussion from the league about fees and costs hasn’t been explored right, clubs I have heard now don’t have near the same numbers and team nominations will vary from original submissions

Fingers crossed some clarity soon

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by andreww1 View Post
    I hope not as it would be a big setback to AFL in Sydney if that happened.
    In Melb AFL is the dominant winter sport so it will get back on its feet relatively quickly.
    In Sydney AFL is #3 in the winter sports market and is still trying to establish itself at a community level so the work to recover would be much tougher.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Andrew, unsure of your history in Sydney AFL so won't comment on your level of optimism. However, I've been in and around Sydney AFL at the senior level for over 15 years and I can tell you that if we haven't established AFL at the community level by now in Sydney, then we never will.

In fact, in my view it has gone backwards at a rate of knots since Gary Burkinshaw left and we now have very poor, disinterested leaders in this competition and they could not give a stuff about the clubs. All you need to do is look at the complete lack of media for the last few years to prove my point. The State office have absolutely no idea what they are doing and where they should take this competition.

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by 5yearplan View Post
    Strong rumour

9th June more major community leagues to announce done and off for 2020

10th June meetings between clubs

One thing for sure the discussion between league, clubs and stakeholders been poor.

If there is no season I am confident there will be football just won’t be in the form of a official competition

I think by the end of next week there will be some concrete answers one way or the other

A August season is late, the discussion from the league about fees and costs hasn’t been explored right, clubs I have heard now don’t have near the same numbers and team nominations will vary from original submissions

Fingers crossed some clarity soon
    I really can't see how they can get a season going and more importantly how the clubs will be able to afford running teams. Without things such as canteen sales, beer sales, fundraisers etc, who the hell is going to pay for the things needed to put a team on the park every week. Physios, tape, footballs, new water bottles per player and everything else that is going to be put in place due to COVID. The list goes on. It costs a @@@@e load of money to put teams on the paddock week in and week out.

Sponsors are not going to front up with the same money they would normally donate for a regular season. In fact, I would suggest that it will be harder and harder to maintain sponsors with so many companies impacted by COVID. Players are also not going to want to pay full freight in playing fees or some sort of small discount.

There is zero chance cricket will delay their seasons to help out AFL in Sydney so if it was an August start what is the point.

I love footy more than most, but I would suggest canning it for 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Freedman View Post
    I really can't see how they can get a season going and more importantly how the clubs will be able to afford running teams. Without things such as canteen sales, beer sales, fundraisers etc, who the hell is going to pay for the things needed to put a team on the park every week. Physios, tape, footballs, new water bottles per player and everything else that is going to be put in place due to COVID. The list goes on. It costs a @@@@e load of money to put teams on the paddock week in and week out.

Sponsors are not going to front up with the same money they would normally donate for a regular season. In fact, I would suggest that it will be harder and harder to maintain sponsors with so many companies impacted by COVID. Players are also not going to want to pay full freight in playing fees or some sort of small discount.

There is zero chance cricket will delay their seasons to help out AFL in Sydney so if it was an August start what is the point.

I love footy more than most, but I would suggest canning it for 2020.
    Tim, cricket has already agreed to delay their season.
    Presidents meeting this week will revel all the details of return to play. Return to training has already started.

We have a date and a season setup.
    17th of July, 9 home and and away rounds and a full finals series.
    Finish will be mid October.
    Subject to final NSW govt approval, but that’s a legitimate season and worth having a crack at!!
    Time to stop the whingeing and have a go.

Quote Originally Posted by bomber. View Post
    We have a date and a season setup.
    17th of July, 9 home and and away rounds and a full finals series.
    Finish will be mid October.
    Subject to final NSW govt approval, but that’s a legitimate season and worth having a crack at!!
    Time to stop the whingeing and have a go.
    Great to hear Bomber - we can only hope the good news keeps on coming now.
    But, hey, wouldn't have been nice to hear this from AFL Sydney GHQ, instead of from a supporter !

Quote Originally Posted by justabaraker View Post
    But, hey, wouldn't have been nice to hear this from AFL Sydney GHQ, instead of from a supporter !
    True, but with the way the world is at the moment, I’ll take my good news however I can get it!!

Quote Originally Posted by justabaraker View Post
    The club presidents were all informed a couple of weeks ago and given AFL NSW is down to a couple of staff members I’d give them a break.
    Our President has let all players and officials know, why not yours?

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by andreww1 View Post
    The club presidents were all informed a couple of weeks ago and given AFL NSW is down to a couple of staff members I’d give them a break.
    Our President has let all players and officials know, why not yours?

Andrew we were only given an indication of start dates - mid july being the most likely/preferable. Some of the information i heard in the platinum meeting was inline with what id heard about the prems meeting but at the same time it appeared to be catered for separately.

Quote Originally Posted by tara View Post
    Andrew we were only given an indication of start dates - mid july being the most likely/preferable. Some of the information i heard in the platinum meeting was inline with what id heard about the prems meeting but at the same time it appeared to be catered for separately.
    Yes I agree which is another reason the AFL have not gone public with return to play dates, especially with other leagues around Australia calling it quits for the year.

Page 8 of 27 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast