Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by 5yearplan View Post
    Early points.....

We have determined AFL agenda pushed on clubs..... no surprise here

Pushing for a half season.

Pushing for clubs to pay fees for 65% affiliation fees for 50% of a season

Umpires want full pay, no concessions

Syd Uni was comical, but suspect more so with NEAfL push backs

Usual agenda set up where it is about engaging but we are doing as we please.

Is a season viable? Are clubs better off working together to raise funds and focus on 2021?

My thoughts are a season where clubs stand now they will be worse with AFLs proposal

No doubt thousands ... maybe. 10 opinions but something doesn’t sit right.
    The silence from Sydney AFL is actually deafening. Where did you get 65% of fees figure from. If the AFL was serious about a resumption of local football the would waive the fees.

A resumption will send large numbers of clubs broke across the country.

How many clubs rely on pubs, clubs and small businesses for sponsorship that will now see little or none of their pledged money due to the financial downturn associated with the virus?

We have lost one major sponsor that has gone into receivership due to the effects on the financial markets.

How much lost revenue will clubs face due to restrictions around canteens and bars that we will likely face?

How will clubs main social distancing in the change rooms?

What extra measures surrounding cleaning will be required and what will the costings of compliance come in at?

Has NSW Sport and Rec agreed to make a directive around start and finish dates for winter and summer sports to ensure that grounds will be available?

The list of questions is never ending.

Picture doing the rounds of Football NSW saying they can go back to training. Cronulla JRL put out a statement saying they don't have anything yet.

Can understand umps wanting to be paid for the games they umpire.

Any updates from those in the know

* With training now allowed what date will we start back
    * Any major changes other than a shorter season
    * Will there be a modified NEAFL season
    * Will a shorter season benefits some clubs more than others - ie will UTS get their interstate players (who are often here for work) to commit for 9 games and be OK

Any updates fromr the Sydney footy landscape would be appreciated.

“Round 1” to be 19th July with a 9 or 10 round season.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wills View Post

* Will a shorter season benefits some clubs more than others - ie will UTS get their interstate players (who are often here for work) to commit for 9 games and be OK

NEAFL season won’t be going ahead so discussions are around how do you equitably distribute NEAFL players back in to community football within a PPS structure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Start date they are still working on, and I have heard not all clubs think it is viable there could be some issues whether clubs think it is wise to commit, they league will be charging more per game for a shorter season than a regular season.

No other major changes noted, but issues could be no club canteens, no showering, crowds limited. Umpires are still paid full freight.

Talk is NEAFL gone, aligned players are aligned so would be back at their clubs, remainder will no doubt be fought over between everyone. Talk was someone threw toys out of the cot during the last president meeting about it when it was raised.

Shorter season will benefit league , I think it will impact clubs more than if no official season was held. No season doesnt mean clubs cant work together to still play fundraise minus the massive league and umpiring costs.

I think comms still up in the air, nothing is in concrete, NEAFL everyone sayings its dead but nothing confirmed.

Still a lot of interesting times ahead i think

Thanks 5 year - though have to say that at this point in time we need a Peter V'landys as the leader - make a plan and then we work to it (a date). The lack of anything concrete, IMO, is making the AFL look second rate compared to the NRL.

Who would have thought the 3 months ago we could be stating the NRL has better leadership than the AFL !!!!

Senior Player
    Thanks 5 year - though have to say that at this point in time we need a Peter V'landys as the leader - make a plan and then we work to it (a date). The lack of anything concrete, IMO, is making the AFL look second rate compared to the NRL.

Who would have thought the 3 months ago we could be stating the NRL has better leadership than the AFL !!!!
    Less people on the field - less state restrictions to worry about. They had to push ahead regardless given their TV revenue was in doubt - Its not like crowd and memberships revenue was going to save them But I do agree the AFL did appear to be handling it poorly in terms of communicating their plans.

Quote Originally Posted by 5yearplan View Post
    Shorter season will benefit league , I think it will impact clubs more than if no official season was held. No season doesnt mean clubs cant work together to still play fundraise minus the massive league and umpiring costs.
    100%

Will clubs still be able to run with no canteen, limited (if any) club functions, potential loss of sponsors. A number of clubs have already gone bust or had to get big loans in previous years, how do they go with similar costs and less revenue? I know of a couple of soccer clubs pushing for just a write off of the 2020 season or even some gala day type events rather than the proposed 9 round no finals season.

Does the Sydney AFL remove some of the rules around needing 2 physios for prems etc? Will there be an increase in injuries with limited training time in the lead up?

Should Sydney AFL cost cut at head office to reduce the costs passed onto clubs. I know they stood down staff originally but surely they are back on jobkeeper.

EFL and NFL in Melbourne have cancelled their seasons, and they are two of the bigger comps down there.

Wouldn’t be surprised if AFL Sydney do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Blinkers28 View Post
    EFL and NFL in Melbourne have cancelled their seasons, and they are two of the bigger comps down there.

Wouldn’t be surprised if AFL Sydney do the same.
    I hope not as it would be a big setback to AFL in Sydney if that happened.
    In Melb AFL is the dominant winter sport so it will get back on its feet relatively quickly.
    In Sydney AFL is #3 in the winter sports market and is still trying to establish itself at a community level so the work to recover would be much tougher.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get the feeling NSW head office are looking for an excuse to call off the season.
    Tiffany the acting CEO was on the news tonight saying they are look for a “traditional “season, what ever that means starting in August.
    An August start will be too late.

Page 7 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast