Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Greatest ever Swan?

I saw Skilton at his peak throughout the mid-60s. His consistency against overwhelming odds, over a long period of time, was really extraordinary. Throughout his career, the team was good enough to make the finals just once - and that was late in his career - but he was always, week in and week out, among our best players, and more often than not, the best of the lot. He had huge courage, grit and determination, but his skill level and range of capabilities far surpassed that of Goodes, Kelly and even Bedford. It is this combination of skill and consistency that makes him the standout. Both Pratt and Nash were incredible talents, but they did not have his durability. Add to that his loyalty and humility, and you have the complete package.

Just a couple of minor corrections to posts above: Skilts was never an amateur as such, he was always paid for playing. Just not very much. And he coached us during, not after, his playing career - in 1965 and 1966. His post-career coaching was at Melbourne.

Warming the Bench
    Bobby Skilton, then Adam Goodes and you would have to throw a blanket around Paul Kelly, Anthony Lockett, Bedford, Nash. All fantastic players and Legends in their own right!

Quote Originally Posted by Bloods05 View Post
    I saw Skilton at his peak throughout the mid-60s. His consistency against overwhelming odds, over a long period of time, was really extraordinary. Throughout his career, the team was good enough to make the finals just once - and that was late in his career - but he was always, week in and week out, among our best players, and more often than not, the best of the lot. He had huge courage, grit and determination, but his skill level and range of capabilities far surpassed that of Goodes, Kelly and even Bedford. It is this combination of skill and consistency that makes him the standout. Both Pratt and Nash were incredible talents, but they did not have his durability. Add to that his loyalty and humility, and you have the complete package.

Just a couple of minor corrections to posts above: Skilts was never an amateur as such, he was always paid for playing. Just not very much. And he coached us during, not after, his playing career - in 1965 and 1966. His post-career coaching was at Melbourne.
    Thanks Bloods05! Love hearing this direct testimony from people who actually witnessed Skilton's career. It's this bit of history that I am especially interested in and also people that can remember (somewhat) and not just rate the players from more recent times. Thanks also for your clarifications about those other points. I take it you did not yourself witness Pratt and Nash too?

BloodFever, Nico (and everyone else), did you get to see Skilton play? What are your thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Who is the greatest Swan ever?

Depending on how you interpret the question, others in the conversation, apart from Lockett and Franklin, are Bob Pratt and Laurie Nash. They are superstars from another era who we have been lucky enough to have play for us. Lockett, the greatest goalkicker of all time, and Buddy the greatest goalkicker since Lockett will, I imagine, be well known to all of us. Pratt and Nash maybe a little less so. I don't wish to school RWOers who know much more about this than me, but for those who are unfamiliar with them Bob Pratt and Laurie Nash were both incredible players whose careers were cut short by World War II.

Bob Pratt is in the conversation for greatest full forward of all time. He kicked the most goals in a season of anyone ever (now equal with Peter Hudson who repeated the feat in a higher scoring era). He kicked many huge bags of goals. He was famed for his high leaping and spectacular marking. He played in our last premiership before 2005, in 1933. He is a Swans and AFL 'Legend' - super exalted status conferred also on Skilton and Lockett and which I daresay will one day be given to Franklin and, hopefully, also Goodes. Here's a link to his wikipedia entry: Bob Pratt - Wikipedia.

Laurie Nash was a brilliant centre half back who also played Test cricket. He also played in our 1933 premiership (and was best afield) and later captained the team. In fact he seems to have been extraordinary in just about everything he did (in sport - he was a much less distinguished policeman for a time). Roy Cazaly, who coached Nash, apparently considered Nash to be the greatest footballer ever (including Pratt), although I'm not sure when he said this. However, Nash played only 99 games (coincidentally about the same number as Lockett and Cazaly) and so his contribution must be regarded as less than that of Skilton or Goodes in my book. He was also our leading goalkicker in 1937 and again in 1945 so who knows the career he might have had but for WWII. Here's a link to his wikipedia entry: Laurie Nash - Wikipedia.
    With regard to the Pratt v Hudson, Pratt kicker his 150 in fewer games.

Nash as a test cricketer, I seem to recall that he is one of the very few Australian test cricketers not to have a played Sheffield Shield game (Tasmania weren’t admitted to the Sheffield Shield competition until 1977, and Nash was picked for Australia for his second test while playing district cricket in Victoria - the Victorian selectors never selected Nash).

With regards to WWII interrupting the careers of Pratt and Nash, don’t forget, the both crossed to the VFA after the fall of the South Melbourne Foreign Legion sides and prior to serving in WWII. Both were highly successful in their brief VFA stints. So while their football careers were interrupted by the War to end all Wars, their South Melbourne careers were interrupted by the VFA and better pay from a second tier competition.
    Last edited by goswannies; 13th February 2020 at 12:42 AM.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post
    With regard to the Pratt v Hudson, Pratt kicker his 150 in fewer games.

Nash as a test cricketer, I seem to recall that he is one of the very few Australian test cricketers not to have a played Sheffield Shield game (Tasmania weren’t admitted to the Sheffield Shield competition until 1977, and Nash was picked for Australia for his second test while playing district cricket in Victoria - the Victorian selectors never selected Nash).

With regards to WWII interrupting the careers of Pratt and Nash, don’t forget, the both crossed to the VFA after the fall of the South Melbourne Foreign Legion sides and prior to serving in WWII. Both were highly successful in their brief VFA stints. So while their football careers were interrupted by the War to end all Wars, their South Melbourne careers were interrupted by the VFA and better pay from a second tier competition.
    My late father who played for South reckoned Laurie Nash was considered by many, including Jack Dyer, as the best ever player. Skilton gets my vote. One famous name that has been missing from the conversation is Ron Clegg who, along with Herbie Matthews, was a Brownlow Medallist.

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    My late father who played for South reckoned Laurie Nash was considered by many, including Jack Dyer, as the best ever player. Skilton gets my vote. One famous name that has been missing from the conversation is Ron Clegg who, along with Herbie Matthews, was a Brownlow Medallist.
    Laurie Nash was considered by many, including Laurie Nash as the best player ever!
    Once asked who was the best player he’d ever seen he answered something like “I look at him in the mirror every morning when I shave”.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Thanks Bloods05! Love hearing this direct testimony from people who actually witnessed Skilton's career. It's this bit of history that I am especially interested in and also people that can remember (somewhat) and not just rate the players from more recent times. Thanks also for your clarifications about those other points. I take it you did not yourself witness Pratt and Nash too?

BloodFever, Nico (and everyone else), did you get to see Skilton play? What are your thoughts?
    Ah, no. That was my dad's era.

Senior Player
    Saw Skilton play quite a few times.
    This was when the Roys were still alive, and I barracked for them so only saw Skilton v Fitzroy.
    He either saved his best for Fitzroy or he was just about the best Swan I ever saw.
    He murdered us every time we played.
    Skilts also nicked my girl at a club one night, so my vote goes to Goodesy.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by royboy42 View Post
    Saw Skilton play quite a few times.
    This was when the Roys were still alive, and I barracked for them so only saw Skilton v Fitzroy.
    He either saved his best for Fitzroy or he was just about the best Swan I ever saw.
    He murdered us every time we played.
    Skilts also nicked my girl at a club one night, so my vote goes to Goodesy.

Saw Bobby Skilton quite a bit growing up. Unbelievable skills and courage. He was naturally left footed but he was outstanding with his right foot. In fact, there was a segment on the tv show, World of Sport, called champion kick. He was carrying an injury to his left leg at the time so he used his right leg instead. This is going back a bit but you had to kick a drop kick, torpedo punt and a stab pass. It tested accuracy and distance. He didn't win the competition but finished around 4th place. That gives you some idea of what he was capable of. The closest player I can think of that reminds me of him is Cyril Rioli although Bobby had a much bigger tank, playing almost exclusively as a rover(midfielder). Both Bobby and Peter "Wheels" Bedford played for Port Melbourne.

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    I saw Skilton play too and stevoswan and bloods05 have explained perfectly how great he was and what he meant to South Melbourne supporters!

It's now almost 50 years since he retired and the fact that current Swans players talk about him speaks volumes for his impact on our club. A champion player, a champion bloke and he's all ours!

I actually think that its very difficult to compare players from different eras.

My son has a laugh when he watches games from say the 1970s, 80s and even 90s that sometimes play on fox footy - he thinks (and I have to agree when I watch in retrospect ) that the skill level often seems atrocious, the kicking often wayward and while it may have been high scoring at times , that wasnt always the case and didnt necessarily make for a better game to watch.

While the very best would probably be the very best in any era , its difficult to see how a player playing in what was essentially a Melbourne suburban comp would line up at a national level today and to what extent they would seem as dominant as they may have been at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Good pick ups with Ron Clegg & Herbie Matthews. I heard someone mention on.on radio.once.that Ron Clegg holds the unofficial record for the most marks taken in a game which numbered in 30's i think? This was long before game stats were officially registered.

I also think John Rantall should be in the conversation. Had he not crossed to North with the 10 year rule he would've been the first Swan to play 300 games even though he did return to South and finished his career st Fitzroy (worth watching his Open Mike interview). He was a champion backman of his era who always did a number on Leigh Matthews when at his peak.

I only got to see Skilts play live only briefly right at the end of his career. Peter Bedford was my idol growing up as a kid as i got to see him at his peak. He could run sideways quickly crab like, spin & baulk leaving opponents bedazzled and was a grest kick and solid mark. He carried the team similarly as what Skilts had done. Howver i'm.in no doubt Skilts is the greatest ever Swan due to his courage, skill & humility as someone had elegantly posted. I doubt he'd be ever surpassed.

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast