Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415

Thread: Greatest ever Swan?

Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    I would think Mickey O would nudge out Tony Morwood on the HF. Goodes to displace David Murphy on the wing.
    Have to agree there

Murphy & Morwood to then be added to the bench & then maybe extend it again to accomodate Leo & JPK .

I know this is a cop out having such a ridiculous long bench. Very difficult comparing players from different eras. Just goes to show how rich our history is with star players!
    Don’t think you can extend the bench. Not sure Murphy or Morwood might make the cut. Someone has to miss out and it would be a testament to the quality of our best if either of those two did miss out.

And to be honest, I’d rate Rod Carter at least as highly as Leo. I thought he was unlucky first time around.

Not to mention Capper post Sydney relocation .
    Capper was unlucky that he’s trying to fit into a forward line with Lockett, Pratt and Nash. Pratt was quite possibly a better mark than one of the most spectacular and consistent marks of the modern era - & Pratt was a significantly better goal kicker. Nash one of the greatest all round footballers of all time could have been the best full forward if not for Pratt. And then there’s Lockett. The best. How many genuine key position forwards can one side have?

Without meaning to hijack the thread, is it worthwhile naming best Swans teams pre & post Sydney relocation? Our post 2003 player recruiting has been exceptional.
    An all time greatest South side, an all time greatest Sydney side, and and all time greatest Swans side would be worth selecting IMO.

And then there’s the coach. Does Roosey or Longmire get a look in?

buddy love
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Senior Player
    Most here know that i came to the Swans as a convert after the Roys were kicked out in '96.
    I had lived in Sydney since the swans' relocation and attended their games purely to see footy.
    Then from '97. I became a member and avid ever since.
    I saw Skilts every time Fitzroy played South, sometimes twice a year and sometimes just the once.
    Otherwise, only on tv, and then usually only the last quarter of South games. That was all they showed.
    He was simply the best rover/mid I ever saw, and there have been plenty champs .
    One of those players who seem to have extra time when handling the footy.
    Everyone else seemed lead footed.
    His vision, disposal, accuracy and courage were just first class.
    He would have looked great in a Fitzroy jumper.
    But between him,Goodesy and Plugger????
    Nah, couldn't pick.
    But wouldnt you love to see the three in the same side!
    And to think I hold Skilts in such high regard, even after he pinched my girl at a club in Melbourne in the late 50s/early 60s!!

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    buddy love
    If Capper can’t find a spot in that forward line, how does Buddy get a gig?!

Perhaps we should have a senior and reserves best Swans side?

Quote Originally Posted by royboy42 View Post
    And to think I hold Skilts in such high regard, even after he pinched my girl at a club in Melbourne in the late 50s/early 60s!!
    Given Bob married Marion in 1960, I hope either 1) it was the 50’s or 2) your girl was Marion in which case you had some pretty tough competition!

Senior Player
    Late 50s then. For certain, cos I know he was unmarried
    Last edited by royboy42; 22nd January 2022 at 05:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 09183305 View Post
    If Capper can’t find a spot in that forward line, how does Buddy get a gig?!
    And Barry Hall!!!! How do we fit Lockett, Buddy, Capper & Hall in same forward line even just for the greatest Sydney team???

Buddy love
    Years
    Club
    Games (Goals)
    2005–2013
    Hawthorn
    182 (580)
    2014–
    Sydney
    136 (415)
    Total
    318 (995)

Buddy, Hall, Goodes and Micky O have to come in. All champion players over an extended period. Its conceivable all will eventually make the AFL Hall of Fame. The period 1996 to 2016 was the most extended period of success in our Club's long history. Not surprisingly, it coincided with some of our best ever players!

Quote Originally Posted by Aprilbr View Post
    Buddy, Hall, Goodes and Micky O have to come in. All champion players over an extended period. Its conceivable all will eventually make the AFL Hall of Fame. The period 1996 to 2016 was the most extended period of success in our Club's long history. Not surprisingly, it coincided with some of our best ever players!
    Hall and MickyO are already in the HoF aren’t they? Goodsey declined.

Micky should nudge out Tony Morwood. Goodsey is a genuine utility who could play any number of positions, but Murphy’s spot on the wing is a genuine upgrade.

Can’t see Hall displacing any of the key position forwards in the current Swans ToC. Hall averaged 2.9 goals a game with us, 7x leading goal kicker with us, 3x All Aust and 1x B&F. I guess in comparison, Capper (who couldn’t even make the extended bench), averaged 3.5 goals a game with us and the first Swan in eons to kick 100+ goals in a season for us - he was only 4x leading goal kicker (but played 2 less season with us and the first couple were developing years where as Baz’s development was all with StKilda so he was in his prime when he arrived). Capper’s contribution to the Swans in terms of profile was probably more significant than Hall’s.

And, let alone getting in ahead of Capper, can Hall displace Nash, Pratt or Lockett? You can have 4 key position forwards in a balanced forward line. If you’re just naming 4 tall key position forwards for the sake of squeezing them in to the side - just pick Hall in a back pocket and be done with it.

Bud might struggle to displace those 3.

Maybe a spot on the bench for Hall and / or Buddy but Bud’s 2 Coleman’s might give him the nod (that and averaging 3.1 goals a game with us, 4x AA with us and leading our goal kicking 6 times. Also probably lifted the Club’s profile more than Baz. I don’t think you can load up a bench with key forwards.

As good as Hall was, the Swans have been blessed with some of the best forwards the game had ever seen. Bud is more deserving for mine (he could perhaps come in for Morwood or Healy on a HFF if you were willing to name him out of position in a position he could genuinely play - I’m not sure Healy often played as a HFF after all).
    Last edited by goswannies; 23rd January 2022 at 12:39 AM.

Pushing for Selection
    Another Swan i loved, even though he is more remembered as a Kangaroo was Wayne Schwass. He was an absolute gun in his first 3 years for the Swans averaging 26 disposals which were so damaging with his left boot. I think in 1998 his first swans year he kicked close to 30 goals too!

Senior Player
    His first game for us on the SCG, he made an astonishing move with the ball that reminded me of a Skilton/ Baldock evasion.
    I already was aware of his enormous talent, but commented to my footy loving wife that we'd got a beauty here.
    And was right, for once.

- - - Updated - - -

His first game for us on the SCG, he made an astonishing move with the ball that reminded me of a Skilton/ Baldock evasion.
    I already was aware of his enormous talent, but commented to my footy loving wife that we'd got a beauty here.
    And was right, for once.

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415