Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Greatest ever Swan?

As much as I want to say Goodes, you cant go past Lockett. Apart from all the records he holds, he also changed the game in Sydney, single-handedly.

No other player, in any other sport in Australia comes close to that influence.

Lockett for mine as well. Followed by Goodes.

The idea of a separate history thread (discussed above) has not been realised. And there's so much good stuff here that I am reluctant to leave it behind and start a separate thread. Maybe liz could rename this thread to 'Greatest Swans and Swans History'?

Anyway, I'm here to post a link to an article about our 'heritage' guernsey that we have announced we'll be wearing at our Victorian away games this season (assuming there are some): Heritage matters - and it should for all (theinnersanctum.com.au). I think we're still going to wear the jumper for away games even if we're not in Victoria - but time will tell.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Is Peter Blucher the "club historian" who has prepared various articles for the Swans website (e.g. about the draft The Draft: A red and white history (Part 1) (sydneyswans.com.au) or the one about our origins cited earlier in this thread: Our history: South Melbourne foundations (sydneyswans.com.au)), the same player manager who:

(a) was stripped of accreditation for 12 months for his involvement in Tippett's dodgy deal with the Crows and for not representing his client's best interests and behaving professionally: Tippett's manager banned for at least 12 months (afl.com.au)

(b) was secretly recorded by Joel Wilkinson in 2016 saying that club's were hesitant to recruit him because they believed he grandstanded about racism: ‘Just shut up’: Secret recording suggests anti-racism stance limited Wilkinson’s career (theage.com.au).

I'm inclined to assume it is all the same person unless someone can contradict that.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    I can't find any primary evidence for a merger between Albert Park and Emerald Hill in 1867 - the contemporaneous birth announcement of the Albert Park club suggests otherwise.

Nah, at best you can say the current club was half born from the Cecil club.
    The 1880 amalgamation between Albert Park and South Melbourne (nee Cecil) is well documented.

And given that that the only thing that survives from the 1880 amalgamation to the present day, are the red-and-white Albert Park colours, then it looks very much like the current club is more connected to Albert Park than Cecil.

1867 is a better birthdate than 1874 - QED

PS
    Albert Park was founded in a pub, the Cecil club in a temperance hall - As a fellow that likes a tipple now and then I find the idea of starting a footy team in the latter to be a distinctly un-Australian thing to do.
    Cheers!

PPS All this Latin reminds me of some of the conversations that rolled about on RWO in earlier days.
    RnR, apart from not being able to independently verify that there was a merger between Albert Park and Emerald Hill in 1867, do you accept or disagree with the history recounted by Peter Blucher in Our history: South Melbourne foundations?

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    RnR, apart from not being able to independently verify that there was a merger between Albert Park and Emerald Hill in 1867, do you accept or disagree with the history recounted by Peter Blucher in Our history: South Melbourne foundations?
    I can't find any evidence of a merger in 1867 at all. And the clubs birth announcement in 1867 club formation meeting involved "A meeting of gentlemen desirous of forming a football club on Emerald-hill was held on Tuesday last, at the Rose of Denmark Hotel, Napier-street, Emerald-hill"
    Earliest merger mentions I can find were 1875 and 1876.

He's a little date shy, and his description of the 1869 sgm makes no sense to me, but it's quite a good account of the Pre VFA period.
    Last edited by Ruck'n'Roll; 18th July 2021 at 05:52 PM.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Suspended by the MRP
    Clearly not enough of you saw Bob play in the flesh

Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    Did you? What can you tell us about him?

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    I did and it's impossible to overstate how good he was and what he meant to South Melbourne supporters. An absolute champion player and human being.

If I remember correctly, he retired at the end of 1971 so you'd have to be 50+ to have seen him play!

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Did you? What can you tell us about him?
    i did not watch him when he won his first 2 brownlows but i saw him win his third and lets just say there was no surprise he'd won 2 already. Every single week he was in the best few blokes on the ground , constant running and handball chains. Tiny bloke but did everything with power, huge strides, long handballs like he was Polly Farmer , thumping kick , always knew where to put the ball , tough as nails , would get piledrived by a few blokes and still be the one to get up and win the ball back . Very difficult to tackle ,

Doesnt get the love that blokes like Lethal and KB get because they kicked bags every week , well let me tell you Skilton could've if he wanted to but he was giving off as many as he was kicking himself ! Selfless most courageous player ive ever seen . Wife and I moved to NSW in 70 and he retired the year after , funny how things work out

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sandridge View Post
    you'd have to be 50+ to have seen him play!
    Say it louder why don't you lol

Adam Goodes. The most versatile player in AFL history. Played ruck, inside midfield, outside midfield, key forward, key back, half forward flank.

Played all positions at elite level.

Apart from Lance Franklin and Anthony Koutifidies probably the best ever pure athlete to play the AFL game.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    I can't find any evidence of a merger in 1867 at all. And the clubs birth announcement in 1867 club formation meeting involved "A meeting of gentlemen desirous of forming a football club on Emerald-hill was held on Tuesday last, at the Rose of Denmark Hotel, Napier-street, Emerald-hill"
    The question then remains, what happened to the Emerald-hill Football Club that was playing in 1866 (potentially back from 1859)? There does not seem to be any reference to the club in 1867, but then the South Melbourne Football Club that forms in 1867 then changes its name to Emerald-hill in 1868.