Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Greatest ever Swan?

Regular in the Side Velour&Ruffles's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post

He is also famous for the suit he wore to the '77 Brownlow count when he won. Brown velour with ruffled white shirt.......I kid you not. .....but even with that suit, he was very charismatic and as you can see by the photo's, a good looking rooster.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/_jVroA-VOVk/hqdefault.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CFc6jOPVIAAeHaB.jpg
    Imagine that!
    My opinion is objective truth in its purest form

On the veteran's list
    On John Pitura, when he was at South he was possibly the best player I have ever seen in the Red and White. Played off half back and just had the ball on a string with a long left boot.

The same thing happened to him at Richmond as what happened to Capper when he went to the Bears. The other players resented his big salary and played around him rather than use him. In Pitura's case there, there was also a lot of resentment around the fact that the club had cleared out three popular and well-loved players, especially "The Whale" who the other players loved. The same thing happened at Essendon when they cleared out heart-and-soul-of-the-club Stephen Carey and another solid clubman in Peter Bradbury to bring in the flashy Mike Richardson from the Pies and Geoff Raines from Richmond.

BTW at the time, South only had a couple of thousand members and the Richmond board actually debated buying enough South memberships the take over the club and simply clear Pitura to the Tigers.
    Those who have the greatest power to hurt us are those we love.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cat View Post
    On John Pitura, when he was at South he was possibly the best player I have ever seen in the Red and White. Played off half back and just had the ball on a string with a long left boot.

The same thing happened to him at Richmond as what happened to Capper when he went to the Bears. The other players resented his big salary and played around him rather than use him. In Pitura's case there, there was also a lot of resentment around the fact that the club had cleared out three popular and well-loved players, especially "The Whale" who the other players loved. The same thing happened at Essendon when they cleared out heart-and-soul-of-the-club Stephen Carey and another solid clubman in Peter Bradbury to bring in the flashy Mike Richardson from the Pies and Geoff Raines from Richmond.

BTW at the time, South only had a couple of thousand members and the Richmond board actually debated buying enough South memberships the take over the club and simply clear Pitura to the Tigers.
    Richmond very arrogant in that era. Starting to happen again.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cat View Post

I remember not wanting to part with Pitura.....he was a star and he was ours. I hated Richmond back then so it made it all the worse. While the pain of losing him was fairly quickly replaced by joy from the three players we got, ultimately it was tragic to see Pitura's glittering career just waste away after that ill fated move and under those circumstances. I hated Richmond even more after that.....

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Perhaps not the greatest of all time, but certainly worth a mention Dinny McKay.

Club captain, best player in the competition and certainly the first superstar forward of all time.

He kicked an utterly impossible 49 goals (easily equivalent of the ton these days) in the first of South Melbourne's three-in-a-row premiership run.

He was later wooed by Richmond, where he played for 2 years, before returning to South for the inaugural VFL season. He died of a burst appendix four days after the last game of the season.

My avatar is a picture of the man in the Swans original jumper.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    Perhaps not the greatest of all time, but certainly worth a mention Dinny McKay.

Club captain, best player in the competition and certainly the first superstar forward of all time.

He kicked an utterly impossible 49 goals (easily equivalent of the ton these days) in the first of South Melbourne's three-in-a-row premiership run.

He was later wooed by Richmond, where he played for 2 years, before returning to South for the inaugural VFL season. He died of a burst appendix four days after the last game of the season.

My avatar is a picture of the man in the Swans original jumper.
    Great pick-up, RnR! Didn't even get named in our 'Team of the Century' - no doubt because he was from the previous century. Just looking at his wikipedia entry I see he kicked our first goal in the inaugural VFL season (1897). He died later the same year following peritonitis secondary to a burst appendix aged just 29 years and leaving behind a widow and two children: Dinny McKay - Wikipedia. First I've ever heard of him so thank you so much for sharing. I'm enjoying learning more about the club and our history.

Son of a @#$%^&* - it's all in Wikipedia!
    All of a sudden I feel so superfluous

Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post

The late Fred Goldsmith is one of the few full backs to win a Brownlow. One of many we recruited from Spotswood IIRC
    I may be wrong but actually I think he's the only one.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    Son of a @#$%^&* - it's all in Wikipedia!
    All of a sudden I feel so superfluous

Not at all! We (well, I, but I suspect I'm in good company) wouldn't have even known to look for him if it weren't for you.

Incidentally, we have named many of the players that were in our team of the century. Here are a few that haven't rated a mention yet - can anyone say anything about them?

Vic Belcher - the only player apart from Goodes to have one two flags with the Swans
    Bill Faul - I've never heard of him but he's named in the backline. Part of the Foreign Legion, played in our 1933 flag.
    Tony Morwood - I've heard the name. Played in the 80s.
    Bill Williams (1945-1951 - lived until 2016), Stevie Wright, Mark Bayes (1985-1998), Daryn Creswell (1992-2003), Harry Clark and Mark Tandy (played in our second flag) - I know nothing or next to about these guys although I've heard of the more recent ones (Bayes & Cressa)

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Tony Morwood - I've heard the name. Played in the 80s.
    He did indeed, he was a superb player, elusive, fair, brilliant mark - a joy to watch. Both his brothers were got their starts with us too, but only Tony resisted the lure of the Victorian clubs. Last I heard he was working for the Swans in Melbourne. I look at Heywood and hope (see "great expectations" thread)

I showed my then girlfriend the film of Daryn Creswell hammering his knee cap back into place while on the field. It almost made her vomit at the time, but she recovered and shares my love of things red and white. His life post swans was extremely rocky, with a gambling addiction and a criminal conviction - if memory serves.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Incidentally, we have named many of the players that were in our team of the century. Here are a few that haven't rated a mention yet - can anyone say anything about them?

Vic Belcher - the only player apart from Goodes to have one two flags with the Swans
    I think ROK, LRT and Jude might be somewhat taken aback to learn that.

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast