Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: State of Origin Bushfire Relief match

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by rb4x View Post
    Papley and Lloyd in the V, Mills for the Allies.
    Might have to barrack for the Big V then......

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Since Longmire is the coach of the Allies, maybe he could play Mills in the midfield? Might as well do the experiment in a game that doesn't really matter.
    I was fortunate enough to speak with Mills last night and a number of other Swan players (due to very unfortunate circumstances with bushfires impacting the Shoalhaven region).

I congratulated him on his selection for State of Origin and then asked him straight out where he preferred playing. I prefaced the question with everyone gives the stock answer that they're happy to be playing their role for the team. I put it to him, "Coaches aside, if you had your way, where would you play - mids or defense?"

He hesitated, gave a wry smile and said in no uncertain terms that he loved playing in defense.

It certainly put the defense / mids experiment to rest in my mind, if players have any say about where they play.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark26 View Post
    I was fortunate enough to speak with Mills last night and a number of other Swan players (due to very unfortunate circumstances with bushfires impacting the Shoalhaven region).

I congratulated him on his selection for State of Origin and then asked him straight out where he preferred playing. I prefaced the question with everyone gives the stock answer that they're happy to be playing their role for the team. I put it to him, "Coaches aside, if you had your way, where would you play - mids or defense?"

He hesitated, gave a wry smile and said in no uncertain terms that he loved playing in defense.

It certainly put the defense / mids experiment to rest in my mind, if players have any say about where they play.
    An enlightening post. I'm happy for Mills to play his best footy where he wants to so that settles my mind on that argument too.....but will it end the RWO debate on this? Only time will tell.....

I wasn’t there but the way you describe it ( the pause and the wry smile ) suggests it isn’t as clear cut as you seem to suggest. Not sure Mills is going to tell a swans fan that he hates playing down back and is bummed out he can’t get ago in the mids anyway. Why would he ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    I wasn’t there but the way you describe it ( the pause and the wry smile ) suggests it isn’t as clear cut as you seem to suggest. Not sure Mills is going to tell a swans fan that he hates playing down back and is bummed out he can’t get ago in the mids anyway. Why would he ?

Perhaps my language choice was misleading. I don't think there was any form of mock, sarcasm or scorn with what Millsy said, or in his tone. I just took away any possibility of him giving me a vanilla response. That's why he paused and smiled.

My interpretation with what he said about being a defender was genuine. There was a Marie Kondo moment of joy when he talking about positional preference. As I said before, it satisfied me. And he's killing it down back. But who am I quell a long-lasting debate?

State of Origin Bushfire Relief match

Perhaps my language choice was misleading. I don't think there was any form of mock, sarcasm or scorn with what Millsy said, or in his tone. I just took away any possibility of him giving me a vanilla response. That's why he paused and smiled.

My interpretation with what he said about being a defender was genuine. There was a Marie Kondo moment of joy when he talking about positional preference. As I said before, it satisfied me. And he's killing it down back. But who am I quell a long-lasting debate?
    That’s fair enough, I just don’t think it necessarily means debate over, or that he wouldn’t be talking the same way about playing midfield if he had been playing in there instead of defence. He obviously loves his footy and has been enjoying his time down back. Doesn’t change the fact he was drafted as a gun midfielder , it’s our weakest third of the ground currently , and many swans fans want to see him get a chance to show why he was rated the best inside mid on his draft year ( which wasn’t all that long ago really )

Killing it down back.......really

Mills having a great game as a back. Papley just doesn't look right in dark blue - glad he's staying with us!

What this game has shown so far is that we cannot let Papley go at the end of the year (under any circumstances)!

Champagne football! Better than I expected. Papley and Mills doing very well. I haven't noticed Lloyd. Is he playing?

I think that first quarter demonstrated what a versatile defender Mills is. Can play on smalls then move over to a guy like Cameron. I doubt we will see him on ball any time soon.

Loving the speed and class with which they're moving the ball.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast