Thread: Injury status

Injury status

I think it might be useful to have a thread specifically dedicated to keeping track of where we're at with injuries. I might try to post injury updates here and other news reports relating to injuries. That way, apart from the week-to-week, when some player goes down with something and six weeks later we've heard nothing we can check and see what the original issue was. We will also be able to add stuff we observe at training or glean elsewhere that doesn't get reported.

Here's an article and video interview with Charlie Gardiner updating us about some of the injuries our players are carrying: Senior players look for minutes. I fear it's incomplete. What's new?

Lance Franklin is back running and kicking but not full training yet. Doesn't sound like he'll be ready for round 1.

Isaac Heeney - has been training but no contact while his broken thumb heals. He's likely to return to the team soon and will hopefully play one of the Marsh series games, presumably to be ready for round 1.

Lewis Melican - sustained a hamstring injury about three weeks ago. I think it will be a little while before we see him and he'll return through the NEAFL.

Sam Reid - various undisclosed "injuries" - badly interrupted pre-season - a few weeks from full training - I'd say unlikely for round 1.

Dane Rampe - recovering from a calf injury. Likely to return to the team soon, probably will play one of the Marsh series games and round 1.

That completes the players covered in the video and article, but not the extent of our injuries I don't think.

Extra info that I can think of about players currently out or coming back from injury - please add details if you know.

Clarke? I don't know. I think there was some mention about him having some kind of an injury. He didn't play the practice game on the weekend.

Thurlow - recent surgery (something in his lower half from memory), in rehab.

Naismith, Sinclair and Knoll all played in the practice game but they were all on managed minutes. I'm not sure what that means for their availability and likely selection round 1. I'm thinking at least Sinclair is likely to be selected and probably Naismith too.

Matt Ling - I have NFI. Is meant to be in full training but didn't get a run in the practice game.

Maibaum - still recovering from ACL, didn't play in the practice match. Fairly advanced I would hope and hope he gets to play NEAFL in the not too distant future.

McCartin - hamstring issue. How long? Don't know. Didn't play on the weekend.

Reynolds - haven't heard anything for ages. Missed all of last year. Don't think he has been training with the main group. Given his injury, I wonder why we stuck with him over Tucker? I guess we actually got to see Reynolds when he wasn't injured and we like what we saw.

Stoddart - a bit like Ling. As far as I know he is fit and training but not seen in practice match.

O'Connor - not sure if he is or isn't injured.

Elijah Taylor - has been kept a bit apart from the main group at times and not at others. I have no clue what's going on.

McLean - wearing a moonboot around Christmas/New Year. Haven't seen him training since.

Amartey - possibly fine and just not close enough to selection to get a run in the main group. Not the team's fittest player. I'm not feeling optimistic about his future career prospects (just by the bye).

Suspended by the MRP
    Excellent idea bloodspirit!

I would add that it's possible Ling, Stoddart, Amartey, Reynolds etc may be saved for the NEAFL. Their fitness levels may not be high enough at this point in the pre-season to be genuine contenders for places in the 22. If they were to feature in the practice matches or the Marsh games, they'd only have limited roles and heavily managed minutes. So there wouldn't be much point playing them when we could trial players with more realistic chances of playing senior footy, like Brand, Stephens, Gould, McInerney, Warner, Wicks, Gray and Taylor.

In short: maybe they're not injured, just low on the ever-growing pecking order.

Yes, TheBloods, that makes perfect sense and is the most likely explanation. Sadly it is unclear given we know the club doesn't give us complete information. In the case of Stoddart, given he has played games the past couple of seasons, it's disappointing that he is not closer to the 22 and being given game time. But it might be explained by the fact that he is still on the comback trail from an injury - I can't remember.

Incidentally, a propos of nothing, can I say how much I like my new avatar!? It's the old SMFC club shield. I don't know how far back it dates.

Reid!

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Yes, TheBloods, that makes perfect sense and is the most likely explanation. Sadly it is unclear given we know the club doesn't give us complete information. In the case of Stoddart, given he has played games the past couple of seasons, it's disappointing that he is not closer to the 22 and being given game time. But it might be explained by the fact that he is still on the comback trail from an injury - I can't remember.

Incidentally, a propos of nothing, can I say how much I like my new avatar!? It's the old SMFC club shield. I don't know how far back it dates.
    The new avatar is awesome Anything that harks back to the SMFC days gets a tick of approval from me!

Stoddart I am not sure will make it, and I only say this because in what is now his third pre-season, he still looks like a newly-drafted teenager. I saw him in the flesh a few weeks ago and it was startling how skinny and lanky he still is. When Hayward and Florent came to the club they were like young boys, but it only took one pre-season to notice a difference, and now in their fourth, they look like men. I don't see that with Stoddart and so to put him into a back six at the highest level against grown men would border on a WHO-violation.

Veterans List
    I too am starting to think Stoddart is not up to it....skinny as and just doesn't seem to have progressed enough in the time he has been at the club to garner any excitement about his future prospects. I'm far more excited about Stephens and Gould.

As for Ling.....who has been at the club for the same amount of time, we just don't have anything to go by really, so the jury is still out but I'm losing faith.

Keep an open mind, Stevoswan. The same happened with Dawson and O'Riordan who didn't get a senior game for nearly 3 seasons and look at both now. And the same goes for Cameron who after 3 seasons , decided to leave (and he is heading the ruck for Collingwood tomorrow). Just saying, Ling deserves time after last 2 years of injuries. And as was stated, Stoddart was in the NEAFL Team of the Year last season so must be doing something right. Both just need to be given a go