What an impressive letter from the Chairman - RHI development gone

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    +1 truly exceptional letter

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Class with a capital C.

Disappointing about the RHI development, but understandable - and I assume reading between the lines we were probably able to ditch that without too excessive costs associated with calling the project off. But I'd expect it will remain high on the agenda for when things, as far as they will, return to some resemblance of 'normal'. We will still need better facilities then what we want in time, but the survival of our magnificent footy club is clearly the A1 priority!

I was chuffed to see our wonderful foundation isn't being forgotten either - was so happy to see $2 million of donations in recent weeks. While my donations never get anywhere near significant, I always make a contribution each year towards the foundation, as for mine its every bit as important in building a strong footing for our club into the future - I want the future generations to be able to get as much joy from our Swannies as we currently do, so I feel its my duty to contribute a little. I haven't yet made my donation for this year, but will be doing it shortly - thankfully I'm in a position that I still will be able to continue on somewhere near 'business as usual', so want to do my bit to help secure our future through that mechanism as well
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Brilliant letter from Pridham and great to see that people from the past who got our club to where it is now were named and recognised by him.

We have a great club - and it will continue to be great!

Go the mighty Bloods!

Pushing for Selection
    Leadership from a strong Chairman. A great Club, a long history .... we will survive!

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandridge View Post
    Brilliant letter from Pridham and great to see that people from the past who got our club to where it is now were named and recognised by him.

We have a great club - and it will continue to be great!

Go the mighty Bloods!
    Very impressive and transparent.

I asked our CEO, Harley, about progress on the new training facility around 4 weeks ago at his last Webinar. He was very upbeat and said that it was progressing well.

My how things have changed in a few weeks! I still think that a more modern training facility is critical for our long-term future. Hopefully it can be resurrected in the not too distant future.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Fox Footy has reported about Melbourne FC Chairman Glen Bartlett speaking in a podcast (Deeluded):

According to Bartlett, Melbourne has the fourth best balance sheet in the competition.“I think 12 clubs are now assisted and there are only six that are unassisted and we know one of those six,” he said.“Whilst we work with the AFL and that‘s part of what we need to do, we are not so keen to have an administrative office situation where all your decisions, financial decisions are kind of out of your hands (so) you have to report.“You have to produce all these reports from these things in the past. We don‘t want to be in that world preferably. And it’s important, I think, for our supporters and mindset to be financially strong, and independent.”

Assuming that's accurate, I wonder what the Swans situation is?
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Fox Footy has reported about Melbourne FC Chairman Glen Bartlett speaking in a podcast (Deeluded):

According to Bartlett, Melbourne has the fourth best balance sheet in the competition.“I think 12 clubs are now assisted and there are only six that are unassisted and we know one of those six,” he said.“Whilst we work with the AFL and that‘s part of what we need to do, we are not so keen to have an administrative office situation where all your decisions, financial decisions are kind of out of your hands (so) you have to report.“You have to produce all these reports from these things in the past. We don‘t want to be in that world preferably. And it’s important, I think, for our supporters and mindset to be financially strong, and independent.”

At the start of the season shutdown I recall either Harley or Pridham saying we would need assistance after 3 months. However, during the season it was mentioned that we were still unassisted due to a majority of members keeping their membership and not requesting refunds. I'm not sure what the situation is now that the season is over.

It made sound superficial a litter bit, but given where the dees draw their fanbase and support from, not entirely suprised by that.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Just saw that the Swans website has published a bit more info about our Executive team: Official AFL Website of the Sydney Swans Football Club. It seems that a year ago we got a new Chief Operating Officer, Drew Arthurson, who used to work with Apple Enterprise. Even more recently, in April 2020, we got a new EGM Finance - he came from the AFL: Official AFL Website of the Sydney Swans Football Club. I wonder if he may have been foisted on us by the AFL as part of a bailout package - noting that we lost $6M last year and are very likely among the majority of AFL clubs who have required AFL assistance since the pandemic struck.

At a Board level we got a new Director, Darren Steinberg. Probably not coincidentally he is CEO of one of our sponsors, Dexus. It's not obvious what his point of difference is and I wonder if we didn't miss an opportunity to get some more diversity on our Board. Despite our Diversity Action Plan's four 'key pillars' being:

* Disability Empowerment
    * LGBTIQ Pride
    * Multicultural Inclusion
    * Advancement of Women

our Board:

* does not apparently include anyone with disability
    * does not include any openly LGBTIQ members so far as I am aware
    * is uniformly white with fairly Anglo names
    * 7 out of 9 are blokes, and we missed opportunities to bring another woman with our most recent Board appointments.

There is also no Indigenous representation. Once Buddy retires, and if Bell gets delisted, we may become a club with no Indigenous presence. This would make the club a less appealing destination for Indigenous players which is a regrettable outcome I would hope to avoid, particularly given our strong recent history with Indigenous players like Mickey O, Goodsey and Buddy.

The point about diversity that is sometimes missed is that: it is not about political correctness, it is a source of strength. By missing the diversity we miss out on knowledge and experience that can make us stronger, more adaptable, more resilient. By including people from diverse backgrounds who have historically been excluded, you are expanding the pool of talent that is available. It also creates a safer and more welcoming space for all to feel they belong to.

In times gone by people would say while ideally you would have a some representation of women, the key thing was just to get the best person for the job and it just happened that they were all men. Nobody would say that now (nobody I would take too seriously anyway). Women bring a different perspective to the table and are clearly better placed to understand and connect with the experiences of other women. Women are also a large part of our society. The same arguments apply (with appropriate modification) to other kinds of diversity and that is why it is so important to cultivate diversity.

Turning to people with disability, nearly 20% of Australians live with disability: National Inquiry into Employment and Disability: Issues Paper 1 | Australian Human Rights Commission. Obviously substantially higher numbers apply if you add carers and family members of people with disability. Very often changes that are made to accommodate people with disabilities better benefit many more people than those with disabilities. This is known as the 'curb-cutting' effect i.e. curb cuts (the little ramps on street corners that make it easier for people in wheelchairs to cross the road) are in fact enjoyed and of benefit to many, many more people than just those in wheelchairs e.g. parents with prams, the elderly, people on bikes and scooters etc etc: The Curb-Cut Effect | PolicyLink). Another example are closed captions - originally intended for the deaf but now used by many others. The point is that by getting people that have experience of, and insight into, disability, you can create products and solutions and policies that are of benefit to a wider audience, as well as helping include those with disabilities.

What I am seeking to highlight is that, apart from moral grounds, there are important utilitarian reasons for seeking to be more diverse and this is why I am mentioning it.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

The point about diversity that is sometimes missed is that: it is not about political correctness, it is a source of strength. By missing the diversity we miss out on knowledge and experience that can make us stronger, more adaptable, more resilient. By including people from diverse backgrounds who have historically been excluded, you are expanding the pool of talent that is available. It also creates a safer and more welcoming space for all to feel they belong to.

In times gone by people would say while ideally you would have a some representation of women, the key thing was just to get the best person for the job and it just happened that they were all men. Nobody would say that now (nobody I would take too seriously anyway). Women bring a different perspective to the table and are clearly better placed to understand and connect with the experiences of other women. Women are also a large part of our society. The same arguments apply (with appropriate modification) to other kinds of diversity and that is why it is so important to cultivate diversity.
    This! A thousand million trillion times this!

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast