Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Our club: the Board, corporate structure and governance

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    Agree with bloodspirit, there is a lot to be gained with a broader range of experience amongst the board, and we seem to have the AFL and business connections well covered.
    We need the best possible connections to the AFL, they aren't strong enough in my opinion. How many years have we been screwed or surprised AFL policy changes.
    Last edited by Ruck'n'Roll; 24th March 2021 at 04:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    If we connections to the AFL, they aren't strong enough in my opinion. How many years have we been screwed or surprised AFL policy changes.
    Other than the trading ban, what else is there?
    We get a great ride with the academies.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by The Runner View Post
    Other than the trading ban, what else is there?
    We get a great ride with the academies.
    The COLA ban and AFL umpiring....we had a premiership stolen from us.

'A great ride with the academies'.....which we started ourselves, which cost the AFL nothing, increase the overall talent pool for the entire league and help ensure the future of the game in NSW. We are doing the AFL a favour.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    As someone that works in the wholely owned local subsidiary of a multinational - I have given up the on the number of times we've been wrong footed by sudden, inexplicable changes by head office.
    It's just the nature of external ownership.

If I translate myself into their situation, I'd consider that

The loss of COLA was probably inevitable, but that we hastened the event. We should have seen it coming, and quite possibly did so, viewing Buddy as a last bite of the cherry.

The trade ban had no actual effect at all, and did no real damage. On the other hand looking affronted and hurt by it, helped convince many that we were being punished - and have been punished enough.

Compared to earlier boards who failed to get home finals, failed to block exclusive Swans access to NSW talent, failed to block the ejection of the Rams from the TAC cup and the establishment of the NSW Scholarship scheme. I think we're doing pretty well.

In fact I'd be trying to keep the status quo for as long as possible. Stay as unobtrusive as possible to head office (the AFL in the Swans case). While at the same time ensuring we keep our eyes and ears open and maintain our store of ammunition/information/favors in case of any attempt to derail the Northern Academies - they are far too important for the development of the game north of the Barassi, and frankly we are making out like bandits.

To this end I regard our silence on the next gen academy rorting was a very smart move.
    If they get pared back by the AFL, then great, but we mustn't get involved, it would help link the next gen t the northern academies.
    I also think it's essential we don't allow our academy to be uncoupled from the other Northern Acadmies. As long as all the Northern clubs don't make the finals we should be safe. But it'd be better if at least one of the northern clubs could look like a basket case - perhaps we should hope GWS do the right thing by us and implode, cos it looks like the Lions and GC have their stuff together.
    Last edited by Ruck'n'Roll; 23rd March 2021 at 03:39 PM.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    AFL umpiring....we had a premiership stolen from us.
    The ongoing umpiring against the Swans has been going on for decades, I don't think the AFL can do anything about it. Certainly not while it remains a Victorian boys club - I think Razor Ray was the last NSW umpire wasn't he?

Likewise, playing the Granny in Melbourne is not going to change.

Useful stuff when demonstrated how hard done we are, but as areas where change can be made - I think them non-starters.

Similarly the loss of both 06 and 16 (and the way the club refrained from going off like a load of rotten prawns in the sun) are helpful when in need of sympathy.

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    . . . costs the AFL nothing, increases the overall talent pool for the entire league and help ensure the future of the game in NSW.
    Absolutely, nice script, exactly the case we shall continue to make when needed.
    Last edited by Ruck'n'Roll; 23rd February 2021 at 01:02 PM.

Incisive posts, RnR.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Ugh, does any fan of any club believe they get the positive umpire bias? Logically, if we feel hardly done by, there should be someone benefiting. Claiming a sustained bias over decades is ridiculous.

You could mount an argument that we were ahead with COLA.

Regardless, we've been blessed with a fantastic board and corporate leadership for a long time.

Ugh, does any fan of any club believe they get the positive umpire bias? Logically, if we feel hardly done by, there should be someone benefiting. Claiming a sustained bias over decades is ridiculous.
    I thought pretty much the same thing when the suggestion was first raised.
    It smacks of poor sportsmanship. Only the most most rabid and one eyed supporters could believe the umpires were biased against their team. More than that it's almost paranoiac - a conspiracy theory etc. etc.

So I completely understand at a deeply visceral level, and sympathise with your response;
    The problem however, is that the Swans have been on the wrong end of the free kick count for decades. It may be ridiculous but it's also seems to be statistically verified.
    Here is a link with the most recent RWO thread on the subject: Swans chat UMPIRES - FREE KICKS

If you're really keen you could grind through the afltables.com website

You could mount an argument that we were ahead with COLA.
    Erm I thought I did, that's what I meant by us taking the last bite of the cherry

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Incisive posts, RnR.
    Thankyou, my brain seems to be functioning OK today
    Last edited by Ruck'n'Roll; 24th February 2021 at 07:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    I thought pretty much the same thing when the suggestion was first raised.
    It smacks of poor sportsmanship. Only the most most rabid and one eyed supporters could believe the umpires were biased against their team. More than that it's almost paranoiac - a conspiracy theory etc. etc.

So I completely understand at a deeply visceral level, and sympathise with your response;
    The problem however, is that the Swans have been on the wrong end of the free kick count for decades. It may be ridiculous but it's also seems to be statistically verified.
    Here is a link with the most recent RWO thread on the subject: Swans chat UMPIRES - FREE KICKS

If you're really keen you could grind through the afltables.com website

Erm I did, that's what was meant by us taking the last bite of the cherry
    Sorry, was in reference to someone else calling out the COLA ban further up the page

I distinctly recall about a year ago someone posted a chart of free kicks for the last 30 years. Eagles were first at +900 and we were last at -800. Just sayin’ that (IMO) that’s not possible with competent, unbiased umpires

Senior Player
    Maybe this will be the season when I convince some of you that the free kick differential is not especially important or influential and you should pay less attention to it. There must be a chart that will win people over

How about the free kick differential for the premiers in 3 of the previous 4 seasons?

Quote Originally Posted by neilfws View Post
    Maybe this will be the season when I convince some of you that the free kick differential is not especially important or influential and you should pay less attention to it. There must be a chart that will win people over
    Maybe, graphs are quiet effective that way.

It'd be good to see the graph with the top 4 clubs not grey'ed out. At the moment all it says is
    1) You can win a flag with a negative free kick differential, but
    2) The more negative the differential is, the less likely you are to win a flag.

Likewise it'd be good to see the Hawthorn graph for 2013-15.
    Last edited by Ruck'n'Roll; 24th March 2021 at 06:24 PM.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast