Page 12 of 93 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid 19 and footy - season (suspended) now resumed

On the Rookie List
    Alternative thought - and one the AFLPA would dismiss immediately - infect all players with COVID-19 at the same time, gives them a few weeks to recover and then play the season behind closed doors.

On the topic of membership, I haven't bought one but I think I will. My club needs me!

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    We, the fans, lose pretty badly.

Hutchy on footy classified wants to extend the finals to 10 or 12 teams if it's a shortened season. This seems counter-intuitive. Wouldnt you reduce the finals to final 4 or 5 to get as many h&a games in instead??
    Yeah no.
    I'd rather be healthy than sneezed upon by some random disease carrying person at the footy.
    It's only a freakin game. There are bigger things to worry about at the present time.
    We'll survive without it... if you think you've "lost badly", I suggest you go out and find a bigger life.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimitron5000 View Post
    Alternative thought - and one the AFLPA would dismiss immediately - infect all players with COVID-19 at the same time, gives them a few weeks to recover and then play the season behind closed doors.

On the topic of membership, I haven't bought one but I think I will. My club needs me!
    You can get it more than once. Also for this theory to work you have to infect the dr, physio, water person etc. basically it’s unworkable.

Another solution I’ve said before is play a summer comp in far north Qld, NT and marvel. Plus grounds where cricket could be moved e.g York Park in northern tassie. It’s not great but it’s a season. Start in September n run through till end of feb. then break then start the 2021 season beginning of May run till last Saturday in October then 2022 back to normal.

The “cures/treatment” drugs should allow this until a vaccine should arrive later this year.

Plus I’ll add this takes away the rediculous distraction of whether a sporting contest will take place. I’m pretty sure as a society we a lot bigger issues ATM.
    Last edited by Boddo; 18th March 2020 at 04:48 PM.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Boddo View Post
    You can get it more than once. Also for this theory to work you have to infect the dr, physio, water person etc. basically it’s unworkable.

Another solution I’ve said before is play a summer comp in far north Qld, NT and marvel. Plus grounds where cricket could be moved e.g York Park in northern tassie. It’s not great but it’s a season. Start in September n run through till end of feb. then break then start the 2021 season beginning of May run till last Saturday in October then 2022 back to normal.

The “cures/treatment” drugs should allow this until a vaccine should arrive later this year.

Plus I’ll add this takes away the rediculous distraction of whether a sporting contest will take place. I’m pretty sure as a society we a lot bigger issues ATM.
    The experts are saying that the only cases of people getting a relapse are where they never properly recovered in the first place. Immunity is provided by getting the disease but this gradually diminishes to nothing after 6 years. There is a good video on "The conversation" with 2 professors with strong virology related qualifications.Goes for over half an hour but is very informative.
    We have them where we want them, everything is going according to plan!

Wow, it is super rich to judge people who would want a refund on membership if games don’t go ahead. Some families spends big money on them and that is essentially their family entertainment covered over the winter periods. If they don’t get their days out at the footy I hardly think they’d be fine to forfeit the money as a donation to the club. Same with older members who can barely afford it.

It’s about supporting the club yes, but it’s not a donation. And many would simply not be in a position fork out that kind of money if the entry to games wasn’t included.

That’s putting aside the financial hardship many people and families are going to go through over the next few months! What a shallow minded view, staggering really with everything that’s going on. I actually can’t believe that is the opinion of some people here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    if the season does not go ahead, it will be the first time since the early years of WWI. In WW2 the VFL did not go into recess at all, nor did the government try to get them to shut down - apparently it would be too delitarious to morale.

I don't think it's actually relevant to the present situation, but thought it worth mentioning.

PS I'd like to offer you all my best wishes at this time. Stay well my friends.

"I can’t believe what I’m reading"

Wow thats shallow think of all the families that may lose jobs during this period who paid in good faith so they could attend matches, im sure that a refund make a huge difference to any of those families. Not the time to be judgmental of anyone perhaps a little empathy for any impacted families out there.

Cheers

Waz

Round1 to proceed , wow.

Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    Round1 to proceed , wow.

Did they really need to shorten quarters as well? Could have extended interchange instead.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

People buy memberships to support the club, but they get entry to games in return.

If that deal is off then I think members are perfectly entitled to expect a refund, and if some want to turn it into a donation, that’s their choice.

On the veteran's list
    People pay memberships to be part of the club, to help finance the club. The free entry is a benefit from being part of that club just like a cap or a lanyard. If the team can’t play it’s not the clubs fault. Suggesting refunds here is atop a slippery slope towards the Richmond of a decade where members wanted a refund because they weren’t winning!

Goes up to 11
    Must say I'm glad to see the season going ahead - for now. I don't reckon it'll talk to long before we have to hit pause - and then who knows how long we'll be waiting. But with all the crappy news and the prospect of isolation etc, I'm happy to have some footy to look forward to this weekend.