Page 24 of 93 FirstFirst ... 142021222324252627283474 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid 19 and footy - season (suspended) now resumed

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by chalbilto View Post
    Barry, Isn't ANZ due to be demolished within the next couple of months?
    Last week there was an article in the Herald Sun looking at ANZ Stadium as a possible ground to host the grand final due to the MCG not being available. It was ruled out because it is going to be redeveloped. Don't know why it is happening the same time as the stadium next to the SCG.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Damien Barrett reports that the AFL are really strongly focusing on playing a season this year including H&A plus finals series and granny. He can imagine the season might be cut shorter than 17 games if necessary. He thinks it's possible that the 2020 season could spill into 2021. He reckons there's only a 10% chance the season will resume as soon as June.

AFL Video - AFL.com.au
    With respect to you bloodspirit, given how wrong he was on Daniher, I can't give any credit to any Damien Barrett reporting or opinion on AFL.
    Last edited by MattW; 8th April 2020 at 11:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    Last week there was an article in the Herald Sun looking at ANZ Stadium as a possible ground to host the grand final due to the MCG not being available. It was ruled out because it is going to be redeveloped. Don't know why it is happening the same time as the stadium next to the SCG.
    LOL. Just imagine the outrage from Victorian clubs if it wasn’t Heldon their home ground.

Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    With respect to you bloodspirit, given how wrong he was on Daniher, I can't give any credit to any Damien Barrett reporting or opinion on AFL.
    Thanks for the respect, MattW. Take DB's views how you like. I'm not a fan of him, mostly because of his self-importance. However there's not a lot else to go on and he's well connected so I personally find it of some interest. Even DB himself is not claiming these matters as facts, just his best guesses based on the stuff he hears talking to people.

The NRL have announced that they plan to restart their comp on May 28th. They're yet to announce how many rounds or what sort of isolation measures they will have. Not long beforehand, Nine issued a scathing statement, accusing the NRL of years of mismanagement, squandering TV rights money and not fulfilling their contractual arrangements. So, I assume that was an unsubtle way to say that they were keen for a restart.

Probably exerts a bit more pressure on the AFL, as I doubt if they will like seeing the NRL getting all the attention.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    No, that's allianz next door to SCG. Dumb ass move in hindsight.
    And special busses between the two sites.
    Those grounds are going to take a hammering playing so many games. They may use giants stadium as well
    The AFL sized ovals could be reserved for games so as to keep them usable. No training allowed, sure the lack of practice on an AFL sized oval could well effect performances a bit - But as long as everyone is subject to the same disadvantages, does it matter?

Demolition was a dumb ass move in foresight too.

Now that everyone is starting to get over MSM doomsday prediction for Australia how long until they move onto their next headline grabber in demanding the lifting of some restrictions to allow the AFL to start back up? I give it until the end of next week.

Veterans List
    I'm not in the eastern states so see and know nothing of the NRL but from a distance it seems a very shoddy organisation full of ugly characters and dodgy deals.

I was staggered when their unimpressive head honcho (V'Landy?) declared they are restarting their season on a set date in late May like they will decide to do what they want regardless of the rest of society.

Notice tonight's news shows them up as having talked to no one else about this, it's just the decision of some NRL think tank.

AFL & Gillon look so professional in comparison.

Regular in the Side
    agree with dr Kelly they the nrl wants to control virus talk about opening season in ,may. they like the afl should only start when the health experts say. We must self isolate and not have any gatherings of more than 2. Funerals only allowed 10 so what sets these sports apart. at least the afl are waiting

Quote Originally Posted by lwjoyner View Post
    agree with dr Kelly they the nrl wants to control virus talk about opening season in ,may. they like the afl should only start when the health experts say. We must self isolate and not have any gatherings of more than 2. Funerals only allowed 10 so what sets these sports apart. at least the afl are waiting
    Not just health experts. Decision will be made with input from all government advisers. The final
    decision will not lie with just the health experts. Because if that was the case we wouldn’t have a climate change issue. I.e governments only listen to scientists when it suits them.

A funeral is not a workplace. Neither is going to the beach nor going to a park. Unlike most sports played on the weekend people forget this is their employment & a workplace.

It’s a balancing act of trying to keep the economy going as well as limiting the spread and deaths. As much as everyone keeps saying stay at home let’s save lives I’m afraid to say society will change that attitude very quickly once all the stimulus runs out and people can’t afford to live from week to week. Because believe it or not there is no bottomless pit of money.

IMO the government is preparing to reopen the economy with social distancing etc. it’s why even with the flattening of the curve they are still obtaining more ventilators, pushing police numbers through academies, doing the same with nurses, obtaining more drones etc.

Why are they doing this when as we speak hospitals are like ghost towns. If you don’t believe me go look at any ED in any city.

There will be an AFL season this year imo. Everything points to it.

Regular in the Side
    NRL is basically insolvent. They are setting a date in May knowing full well that it is most unlikely but when they are told they can not restart they will then claim it is the fault of the government and will put in a claim for many millions to bail them out.

Quote Originally Posted by rb4x View Post
    NRL is basically insolvent. They are setting a date in May knowing full well that it is most unlikely but when they are told they can not restart they will then claim it is the fault of the government and will put in a claim for many millions to bail them out.

NRL 2020: V’landys, coronavirus, NSW government, COVID-19, Wayne Bennett, Project Apollo, season, restart, | Fox Sports