Page 31 of 93 FirstFirst ... 212728293031323334354181 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid 19 and footy - season (suspended) now resumed

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post

At the present moment, the NRL is running rings around the incompetent victorian AFL administration. A plan to start, new broadcast agreements to get immediate cash injections.

I watched footy classified last night (recorded from monday) and they were talking about NSW allowing NRL teams to train in May (Victoria wont), and how the AFL would have to force the swans and giants to not train to make it "fair". FFS, NSW cope so many unfair victorian biases in AFL, I think letting them train early is one small step to correcting that. I hope the swans and giants openly defy any rules from victoria like this.

The NRL has a massive advantage in that it’s a Claytons National comp.

Legally the AFL can’t force them not to train. If a state allows it they can, the AFL don’t have any legal jurisdiction that says a person cannot go about their day to day activities lawfully in that state. My advice is don’t listen to the AFL women’s day shows like Assified.

Plus for the Giants they will have a massive advantage in that it looks like the ACT Could become virus free. The Giants could base themselves there as it’s their home away from home.

Forget NRL. The biggest issue for the AFL is until it lets go of it’s vic centric attitude they could theoretically have massive competition in the winter from a possible virus free SANFL with crowds and a summer NTFL competition with crowds. Young people wouldn’t remember how much the SANFL hated the VFL but believe me talking to few of them if they get the chance they’ll take it.

Give me a game with atmosphere over a soulless mcg any day.

Personally I don’t want the end of the AFL I’d prefer they just move away from this Victorian central position to a national approach.
    Last edited by liz; 23rd April 2020 at 09:03 AM. Reason: Off topic part moved to relevant thread

The NRL has a massive advantage in that it’s a Claytons National comp.
    NRL is in 5 "states". NSW, QLD, ACT, NZ and Victoria
    AFL is in 5 "states". NSW, QLD, SA, WA and Victoria.
    Not as much difference as you think.

Legally the AFL can’t force them not to train. If a state allows it they can, the AFL don’t have any legal jurisdiction that says a person cannot go about their day to day activities lawfully in that state. My advice is don’t listen to the AFL women’s day shows like Assified.

Plus for the Giants they will have a massive advantage in that it looks like the ACT Could become virus free. The Giants could base themselves there as it’s their home away from home.
    Footy classified were adament the AFL would force Giants and Swans to stop training. But its a very victorian centric show. With many off the cuff comments about non-victorian issues without thinking them through. Giants are no more home in canberra than we are.

Forget NRL. The biggest issue for the AFL is until it lets go of it’s vic centric attitude they could theoretically have massive competition in the winter from a possible virus free SANFL with crowds and a summer NTFL competition with crowds. Young people wouldn’t remember how much the SANFL hated the VFL but believe me talking to few of them if they get the chance they’ll take it.

Give me a game with atmosphere over a soulless mcg any day.
    Exactly. The MCG is the single worst place to play footy if no crowds are allowed.

Personally I don’t want the end of the AFL I’d prefer they just move away from this Victorian central position to a national approach.
    I agree, but I see no chance of that under the current administration.
    Last edited by liz; 23rd April 2020 at 09:04 AM. Reason: Off topic part moved to relevant thread

I wouldnt hold much hope for a vaccine for a long while. But thats not to say we wont return to normal in 2021 or 2022 without one. Spanish flu only lasted a couple of years before dying out, without a vaccine.

At the present moment, the NRL is running rings around the incompetent victorian AFL administration. A plan to start, new broadcast agreements to get immediate cash injections.

I watched footy classified last night (recorded from monday) and they were talking about NSW allowing NRL teams to train in May (Victoria wont), and how the AFL would have to force the swans and giants to not train to make it "fair". FFS, NSW cope so many unfair victorian biases in AFL, I think letting them train early is one small step to correcting that. I hope the swans and giants openly defy any rules from victoria like this.
    Baz, you’ve got be kidding. The NRL, running rings around the AFL on the issue of Coronavirus restart ? Is that the same NRL that announced a planned date to restart the comp without consulting either A. the NSW Government Health Minister or B. their own TV Broadcast partner ?

You’ve been in isolation a bit too long mate. Need some fresh air.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    Baz, you’ve got be kidding. The NRL, running rings around the AFL on the issue of Coronavirus restart ? Is that the same NRL that announced a planned date to restart the comp without consulting either A. the NSW Government Health Minister or B. their own TV Broadcast partner ?
    The Victorian media might be sending you mis-information.
    Foxtel were heavily involved and so were 9. 9 got a bit miffed that foxtel was dictating terms so when public with a "what about me". All smoothed over with a new broadcast deal.
    There is an email from NSW health giving the go-ahead (with conditions).

What has Gill done in this time ?

The Victorian media might be sending you mis-information.
    Foxtel were heavily involved and so were 9. 9 got a bit miffed that foxtel was dictating terms so when public with a "what about me". All smoothed over with a new broadcast deal.
    There is an email from NSW health giving the go-ahead (with conditions).

What has Gill done in this time ?
    Well he hasn’t been sacked ! Is that ringing endorsement of Greenberg’s performance is it ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NRL is in 5 "states". NSW, QLD, ACT, NZ and Victoria
    AFL is in 5 "states". NSW, QLD, SA, WA and Victoria.
    Not as much difference as you think.

Footy classified were adament the AFL would force Giants and Swans to stop training. But its a very victorian centric show. With many off the cuff comments about non-victorian issues without thinking them through. Giants are no more home in canberra than we are.

Exactly. The MCG is the single worst place to play footy if no crowds are allowed.

I agree, but I see no chance of that under the current administration.

The AFL is in every state and territory. It doesn’t matter what people say the NRL is a claytons national comp.

Like I’ve said I wouldn’t listen to Assified. They’re a local Melbourne show dressed up as a national show so they’ll play to their audience. Nothing like the devil from the north getting everyone all worked up over nothing. Ooooohhh the big bad evil swans. That record has been overplayed and become unlistenable even to the AFL. Perfect example when academies were reviewed & no change to the big evil northern academies.
    Last edited by liz; 23rd April 2020 at 09:09 AM. Reason: Off topic part moved to relevant thread

Veterans List

There is nothing wrong with being careful in the face of a pandemic.....on the other hand, being bold is sometimes stupid and often a result of desperation. The NRL is the latter because they are on the verge of financial extinction and their actions reek of desperation, not competence.

Every team in one city? Plans for hubs ramp up

Ask anyone in Tasmania what they think of Travis Auld. I won’t repeat some of the things I’ve heard as I probably wouldn’t be allowed on this forum again.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Boddo View Post

Channel 7 does broadcasts in each state each weekend normally so broadcasting shouldn’t be an issue. If commentators are not prepared to leave home for a few months the game could be called from the studio with a local boundary rider.
    I heard last week, (it might have been on Footy Classified), that the commentators won't be at the ground and will be calling the game while watching the footage on the tv. Apparently this occurred in round 1 for the GWS v Geelong game.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    I heard last week, (it might have been on Footy Classified), that the commentators won't be at the ground and will be calling the game while watching the footage on the tv. Apparently this occurred in round 1 for the GWS v Geelong game.
    Has been like this for a while in pre season games. Virus wise it’s the right thing to do plus it’s very cost effective. Now if only we could have the button back to eliminate commentators.

Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    Well he hasn’t been sacked ! Is that ringing endorsement of Greenberg’s performance is it ?
    Interesting dynamic isn't it. Greenberg did well as a big spending ceo, but V'landys (chairman) had to take control when the @@@@ hit the fan.
    The board controls the ceo, but it's rare to see this it this blatant.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    There is nothing wrong with being careful in the face of a pandemic.....on the other hand, being bold is sometimes stupid and often a result of desperation. The NRL is the latter because they are on the verge of financial extinction and their actions reek of desperation, not competence.
    Yeah, I'd be running in the opposite direction to whatever the NRL is doing. They've even given a name to their plan to start playing again.
    They are calling it Project Apollo. Though come to think of it creating an "isolation hub" on the moon may work. They'll need to work out
    the weightlessness thing but I'm sure Brad Fittler and some of the other giant brains in league will be able to figure it.