Page 4 of 93 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid 19 and footy - season (suspended) now resumed

If one Swans player gets it, they'll isolate every player at the club. Meaning no more AFL / NEAFL etc. I can't see how that would be avoidable. I presume a similar rule would apply at other clubs, so once any AFL player has it, they'll have to close things down for a minimum of 2 weeks.

My understanding is the virus can spread from (1) greater than 15 minutes face-to-face contact with an infected person or (2) the sharing of a closed space for more than two hours with them. I think AFL players would meet those criteria.

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    News from the COAG conference that's currently taking place, is that the leading medical representative, is making the case for cancelling mass gatherings of over 500 people. If that advice is accepted, that obviously means that round one won't take place in its usual form. So, that probably leaves a choice of cancellation, or playing in empty stadiums, so at least people can enjoy the games through the media. I tend to prefer the second option.
    Absolutely! Televised footy is better than no footy! Just depends on the advice about players playing and how the players feel about playing.

I wonder if we will get our $$ back if the season is cancelled or we are locked out. I think a fair compromise would be to roll over our memberships to the following season if this one is cancelled. Share the loss/load which is nobody's fault.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Senior Player
    I can't see any possible way we will see footy this season, certainly not live, and almost certainly, not in empty stadia.

Unless there is a major breakthrough (extremely unlikely) with the virus in the next few weeks.

And Buddy ages another year!

Jeez.
    Bums on seats is how the clubs (that don't have pokies) make money.
    The NRL are prepared to offer compensation to their clubs.
    The AFL had better be ready as well.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    If one Swans player gets it, they'll isolate every player at the club. Meaning no more AFL / NEAFL etc. I can't see how that would be avoidable. I presume a similar rule would apply at other clubs, so once any AFL player has it, they'll have to close things down for a minimum of 2 weeks.

My understanding is the virus can spread from (1) greater than 15 minutes face-to-face contact with an infected person or (2) the sharing of a closed space for more than two hours with them. I think AFL players would meet those criteria.
    Wow, so extending that basically if any afl, neafl, wafl, etc player gets it then their own club shuts. Presumably out of fairness the others shut, otherwise how do you have a competition.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by barracuda View Post
    Wow, so extending that basically if any afl, neafl, wafl, etc player gets it then their own club shuts. Presumably out of fairness the others shut, otherwise how do you have a competition.
    Things are moving fast and in a grim direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post

Or you test the other players and isolate those who may have it.

That's possible... but unlikely as a lot of tests would be required. Australia is only capable of 7,500 tests per day nationally. Unless the AFL is going to set up and pay for its own. And there's a high probability that other players will be infected, meaning teams might be missing several players. Or worse.

Senior Player
    I know that ethically this would not happen; but perhaps the best approach regarding the players and support staff would be to expose them all at the same time (its a mild disease for healthy people), quarantine them until thay are free of the virus and commence the season without fear of the contagion effecting the competion randomly. Most of them are likely to be exposed anyway. Just a thought.
    We have them where we want them, everything is going according to plan!

But how do you have a fair comp. Let's say 50% of the swans list have to be isolated, yet say, no collingwood players need to be isolated. The competition would be in shreds

I think if a whole club got isolated. The AFL would probably just get them to forfeit their games for a few weeks and share the competition points.
    Last edited by SeanM; 13th March 2020 at 04:13 PM.

Forget the neafl game tomorrow.

Page 4 of 93 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast