Page 5 of 93 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid 19 and footy - season (suspended) now resumed

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post

I had a lol at crickets "brave" decision to play the NZ v AUS ODI servies in empty stadiums, because they were looking like being empty anyway. (no ticket sales)
    Thanks to the greedy deal between CA and Foxtel.....no one knows it's on. There's no free TV promotions of it......the same reason no one turned up to the early season limited overs internationals. TV money before fans.....great work CA......killing the game with your greed.

Brilliant idea Scottee! Just like the chicken pox party my parents sent me to when I was a kid, only with the whole AFL.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by royboy42 View Post
    I can't see any possible way we will see footy this season, certainly not live, and almost certainly, not in empty stadia.

Unless there is a major breakthrough (extremely unlikely) with the virus in the next few weeks.

And Buddy ages another year!
    But imagine how fit he will be by then after a year resting his body and just staying fit......we may have to end up extending his contract!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Scottee View Post
    I know that ethically this would not happen; but perhaps the best approach regarding the players and support staff would be to expose them all at the same time (its a mild disease for healthy people), quarantine them until thay are free of the virus and commence the season without fear of the contagion effecting the competion randomly. Most of them are likely to be exposed anyway. Just a thought.
    This is probably the best suggestion I have heard and probably the only way we end up with a viable season.....but I can't see the 'authorities' being so enlightened or courageous.

Deliberately infect people with a disease which could hospitalise 20% of cases and kill 5%, admittedly predominantly the older ones, probably not. The mortality rate for 10-39 year olds is 0.2% so theoretically a couple of AFL players would die. Then there are the administrators, families etc.

Pushing for Selection
    Quote Originally Posted by barracuda View Post
    Forget the neafl game tomorrow.
    Is the game off Barra?

With gatherings limited to 500 people, it appears that only GWS will be able to host games this year.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    With gatherings limited to 500 people, it appears that only GWS will be able to host games this year.
    Very naughty Ludwig!

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Classic! Love it. But you're forgetting the Gold Coast.

Veterans List
    Just had a thought, if games for R1 are played in empty stadiums then the home ground advantage of the Crows is significantly diminished. At Adelaide Oval games there's only about 500 Swans supporters and 49,000 Crows. That's a win, far less home crowd umpiring :-)

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Deliberately infect people with a disease which could hospitalise 20% of cases and kill 5%, admittedly predominantly the older ones, probably not. The mortality rate for 10-39 year olds is 0.2% so theoretically a couple of AFL players would die. Then there are the administrators, families etc.
    Obviously, if you're in a risk group, you don't turn up....if you did, you deserve what you get! Sheese.....and no AFL player would die, have you ever heard of an AFL player with respiritory issues. No....some have asthma......then stay home. The numbers you state would be jacked up by those at risk.....no AFL player would be at risk from something which for fit healthy young people is no worse than the flu.....and not their young wives and certainly not their kids, which the virus hardly affects. For a short few weeks, older relatives stay away. It could be done.....

Having said that, we all know this will never happen.....so we can kiss the season goodbye. Simple.....

Veterans List
    It's official.....round one will go ahead......without fans. The season's end is nigh.....it's inevitable.

Page 5 of 93 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast