Page 57 of 93 FirstFirst ... 74753545556575859606167 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid 19 and footy - season (suspended) now resumed

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Think Maxfield lives in Melbourne and his role is part time
    Maybe he stood down voluntarily.

Think Maxfield lives in Melbourne and his role is part time
    Maxie employed as opposition analyst, which would make sense if he's based in Melbourne. I've seen him at training in Sydney but he was certainly never a regular face around the place. I'm sure we'll continue to hold him close and value him in our inner sanctum. Hopefully there are no bad feelings.

With queensland declaring its borders closed to NSW and Victoria, how does that not impact the Gold Coast Hub with Brisbane, GC, Freo, WC, Adel and Perth all located there.
    Are they going to play amongst themselves for 5 or so rounds, expecting the borders to open after that ?, or do they have a travel excemption ?

It also seems that us and GWS are teams without a hub at the moment, and very vunerable to any NSW imposed travel restrictions. Should we have moved up there too, or to the victorian hub. ?

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Maxie employed as opposition analyst, which would make sense if he's based in Melbourne. I've seen him at training in Sydney but he was certainly never a regular face around the place. I'm sure we'll continue to hold him close and value him in our inner sanctum. Hopefully there are no bad feelings.
    Hope he returns at some stage. He had a role on match day in front of the bench as well as his analyst position.

Warming the Bench
    I noticed this morning that the English Premier League teams have got face mask with their club logos on them.
    Maybe I have missed it but has the greedy AFL missed a chance of making money from this pandemic.
    I think it would have been a good idea, it may off saved people from getting covid 19 and also financially helped the clubs.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    With queensland declaring its borders closed to NSW and Victoria, how does that not impact the Gold Coast Hub with Brisbane, GC, Freo, WC, Adel and Perth all located there.
    Are they going to play amongst themselves for 5 or so rounds, expecting the borders to open after that ?, or do they have a travel excemption ?

It also seems that us and GWS are teams without a hub at the moment, and very vunerable to any NSW imposed travel restrictions. Should we have moved up there too, or to the victorian hub. ?
    SA teams are not in a hub and now unlikely to be with the SA government easing restrictions rapidly after no new cases for nearly five weeks. Looks likely SA teams will FIFO each week to the eastern states for games, initially to Qld to play the four teams there.

There is no hub in Vic, clubs are just observing the necessary rules so they can train and play.

Qld has given the ok for other AFL teams to FIFO for games. They haven't given me permission to go on my annual two month winter trip to the Sunshine Coast - bloody Amanda Palachook!

Veterans List
    Hope he returns at some stage. He had a role on match day in front of the bench as well as his analyst position.
    Yes he has been on the interchange bench for a few years. Last year he was in charge of the rotations and would hold a board up relaying messages to the players because of the runner restrictions. (At Marvel stadium I sit near the interchange bench and sometimes he would block view of the game!)

There seems to be shock about Tadgh being let go. Hopefully it is only temporary due to the football department restrictions for this year.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    Yes he has been on the interchange bench for a few years. Last year he was in charge of the rotations and would hold a board up relaying messages to the players because of the runner restrictions. (At Marvel stadium I sit near the interchange bench and sometimes he would block view of the game!)

There seems to be shock about Tadgh being let go. Hopefully it is only temporary due to the football department restrictions for this year.
    Went to the Swans game in Brisbane last year and was right near the Swans bench. Good place to watch game and I was sitting near Swans officials as well. Didn't help the result. We got hammered in the clearances. Naismith makes a big difference to us. Sinclair tried very hard that day but got monstered.

Happy and I know it
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckie View Post
    I noticed this morning that the English Premier League teams have got face mask with their club logos on them.
    Maybe I have missed it but has the greedy AFL missed a chance of making money from this pandemic.
    I think it would have been a good idea, it may off saved people from getting covid 19 and also financially helped the clubs.
    South Sydney NRL team has masks with their logo, too.
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

Suspended by the MRP
    Read an article on young Ollie Florent about the impact covid has had on everyone at the club and a point he made really stood out to me... Swans legends who have given up to two decades to the club have found themselves in limbo in the space of a few months. How quickly life can change.
    Very strange times indeed.. but i have faith that it will make some of these young Bloods still relatively new to the club really appreciate the opportunity they have to be able to be part of such a fantastic club. Players like Florent have the chance to become the third generation of true Bloods. That would be perhaps the best way for them to honour genuine club greats like Tadgh and Maxy.
    Last edited by TheBloods; 25th May 2020 at 04:00 AM.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    Read an article on young Ollie Florent about the impact covid has had on everyone at the club and a point he made really stood out to me... Swans legends who have given up to two decades to the club have found themselves in limbo in the space of a few months. How quickly life can change.
    Very strange times indeed.. but i have faith that it will make some of these young Bloods still relatively new to the club really appreciate the opportunity they have to be able to be part of such a fantastic club. Players like Florent have the chance to become the third generation of true Bloods. That would be perhaps the best way for them to honour genuine club greats like Tadgh and Maxy.
    I see it the same way.
    And Tadhg's name ends as H G Nelson starts!
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Veterans List
    With a 17 game season it means there is going to be an uneven number of home v away games for each team. How is the AFL going to deal with this to make it fair?