Page 3 of 93 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid 19 and footy - season (suspended) now resumed

Impacts of Covid 19 on the season

With the grand prix now cancelled, things are starting to look worrying for the afl season start. I have a sneaking suspicion that the neafl trial this weekend will not go ahead.

Veteran Site Admin
    I've gathered together into this thread all the posts (across a couple of different existing threads) that discuss the impact of the coronavirus on the upcoming footy season, and sport more generally. If you see a post has "disappeared" from another thread where you made the comment, you will find it in here. I haven't deleted any posts in the process.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I've gathered together into this thread all the posts (across a couple of different existing threads) that discuss the impact of the coronavirus on the upcoming footy season, and sport more generally. If you see a post has "disappeared" from another thread where you made the comment, you will find it in here. I haven't deleted any posts in the process.
    Good call liz! Thanks for your work.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Not surprised by the GP cancellation one bit and expect the AFL to be sometime today or tomorrow at the latest.

Reports are a vaccine to be developed in roughly 12 months but imo it will happen sooner than that as there is a huge money to made off of it. So drug companies will be working overtime to develop it.

Like I’ve said previously I expect a delay in the season start with a GF last Saturday in October.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Boddo View Post
    Also reported on AFL tonight that the AFL are considering postponing the start of the season.
    We have waited so long, now this (maybe)!!

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    18? Strange number. If it's going to be cut, you'd reckon that 17 makes more sense. Though I guess it depends if they just cancel the first few rounds, or actually redo the draw. If the former, it will show how dumb the current system of scheduling is whereby clubs play some other clubs twice before they've played everyone once.
    Play the other 17 teams once, and a second game against your "derby" rival.

I hope they dont delay the season, but play without crowds for the first few rounds.

I had a lol at crickets "brave" decision to play the NZ v AUS ODI servies in empty stadiums, because they were looking like being empty anyway. (no ticket sales)

Quote Originally Posted by barracuda View Post
    With the grand prix now cancelled, things are starting to look worrying for the afl season start. I have a sneaking suspicion that the neafl trial this weekend will not go ahead.
    I'm not sure if I see any real need to cancel a NEAFL trial? It would only be a small, sparsely distributed crowd; so the increased risk of contagion, would be very minimal, if any.

However, 60,000 at the MCG, or 45,000 crammed into Adelaide Oval or Optus Stadium, would probably be a different story. Lots of opportunity to spread viruses if they get into the precinct. People running their hands over the same stair railings. People pressing the same lift buttons. Sitting within a few metres of someone claiming, "No, it's okay, it's just a slight cold". People exchanging money with the same vendors. Sharing the public toilets. Etc, etc. Though how much these things increase the risk, above that of people just going about their daily lives, I'm not really sure? That is, is there a significant difference in risk factors, between going to the footy, and say, spending the day in an office block or wandering around a shopping mall?
    Last edited by dejavoodoo44; 13th March 2020 at 12:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    I'm not sure if I see any real need to cancel a NEAFL trial? It would only be a small, sparsely distributed crowd; so the increased risk of contagion, would be very minimal, if any.

However, 60,000 at the MCG, or 45,000 crammed into Adelaide Oval or Optus Stadium, would probably be a different story. Lots of opportunity to spread viruses if they get into the precinct. People running their hands over the same stair railings. People pressing the same lift buttons. Sitting within a few metres of someone claiming, "No, it's okay, it's just a slight cold". People exchanging money with the same vendors. Sharing the public toilets. Etc, etc. Though how much these things increase the risk, above that of people just going about their daily lives, I'm not really sure? That is, is there a significant difference in risk factors, between going to the footy, and say, spending the day in an office block or wandering around a shopping mall?
    I guess so, I thought they might cancel to protect players.

The focus is on containing the pace of disease spread, not trying to stop people getting it.
    By slowing, or dragging out, the infection rate, the medical infrastructure can cope with the number of cases.

No need to protect players. Teams already have procedures for limiting flu.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    The focus is on containing the pace of disease spread, not trying to stop people getting it.
    By slowing, or dragging out, the infection rate, the medical infrastructure can cope with the number of cases.

No need to protect players. Teams already have procedures for limiting flu.
    Thanks, I saw that a VFL trial has been cancelled so I thought players risk might be a factor

Well, they still might cancel, but my personal opinion is that would be an overreaction.

News from the COAG conference that's currently taking place, is that the leading medical representative, is making the case for cancelling mass gatherings of over 500 people. If that advice is accepted, that obviously means that round one won't take place in its usual form. So, that probably leaves a choice of cancellation, or playing in empty stadiums, so at least people can enjoy the games through the media. I tend to prefer the second option.

Page 3 of 93 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast