Page 2 of 93 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid 19 and footy - season (suspended) now resumed

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    We should start a new thread: "Best 22 for 2022"

If the season is called off, do we get pick 4 in this year's draft?
    At least. If you take into account the preseason 'table', we finished bottom: so, maybe that gets us pick one?

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    We should start a new thread: "Best 22 for 2022"

If the season is called off, do we get pick 4 in this year's draft?
    Pick 3, Gold Coast don't get another priority pick 1, they got priority pick 11 in this years draft which they traded to Geelong from memory.

I honestly doubt the season will be cancelled but wouldn’t be surprised to see the grand final in the last Saturday in October.

Most grounds wouldn’t be available from November due to cricket scheduling. But cricket may accomodate the AFL for the first half of November.

From my rough estimate, it’s a lay on the lounge guess estimate lol, from here on with byes and the week before the season the AFL could lose the first four rounds plus 3 weeks from bye’s & a week to go till the season starts, so roughly could start 7 weeks late with no byes etc and still get a full season.

Probably they’d tack the first four rounds onto the end of the season and continue with the dates already scheduled from round five onwards.

I don't think the first few weeks of the season are the ones most in jeopardy. This pandemic is going to get a lot worse before it gets better.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Sadly I think that you are correct Bloodspirit. I certainly see games being played early on with no spectators. That will be freaky! Imagine the Anzac Day clash with no crowd!

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Aprilbr View Post
    Sadly I think that you are correct Bloodspirit. I certainly see games being played early on with no spectators. That will be freaky! Imagine the Anzac Day clash with no crowd!
    If this was to happen, would it be worth pumping spectator/crowd sounds through the PA system to help keep the players involved? I know teams on the US have used this technique to simulate finals when preparing for big games. While it would look odd on TV, it would sound better than just the commentators inane drivel

Quote Originally Posted by Aprilbr View Post

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    If a player, coach, official, physio, dr, water person, contracts it the decision is completely taken out of the AFL’s hands. It’s up to state & federal governments if a game will go ahead.

Just like the Essendon drug scandal the AFL will lose a lot of control. The game is big but as part of the Australian economy it’s a very small part of what makes the wheels turn in Australia.

Governments will not jeopardise the whole economy for the AFL.

IMO the season launch will be delayed. Zempalis has said on ch7 that the AFL are considering delaying the start of the season.

I’m not surprised one bit.

Also reported on AFL tonight that the AFL are considering postponing the start of the season.

Veterans List
    Rumours that the season will be cut to 18 matches and start a month late. That would assist us.

Veteran Site Admin
    18? Strange number. If it's going to be cut, you'd reckon that 17 makes more sense. Though I guess it depends if they just cancel the first few rounds, or actually redo the draw. If the former, it will show how dumb the current system of scheduling is whereby clubs play some other clubs twice before they've played everyone once.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Boddo View Post
    If a player, coach, official, physio, dr, water person, contracts it the decision is completely taken out of the AFL’s hands. It’s up to state & federal governments if a game will go ahead.

Just like the Essendon drug scandal the AFL will lose a lot of control. The game is big but as part of the Australian economy it’s a very small part of what makes the wheels turn in Australia.

Governments will not jeopardise the whole economy for the AFL.

IMO the season launch will be delayed. Zempalis has said on ch7 that the AFL are considering delaying the start of the season.

I’m not surprised one bit.
    Yes, this is right. The AFL is small bickies in the scheme of things.

Dan Andrews just announced, that if the Grand Prix organisers decide to still have an event, then it will be without a crowd. Given that, it would be hard to justify, a few hundred thousand people gathering for round one, next week. If that's case, I would prefer to see the round go ahead, but without crowds.

Page 2 of 93 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast