Page 58 of 93 FirstFirst ... 84854555657585960616268 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid 19 and footy - season (suspended) now resumed

Veteran Site Admin
    Define “fair”. The Vic based teams already travel less than other clubs. The WA and SA teams;probably) will land up playing “neutral” games against each other in Queensland, where neither has to travel from their existing base, and both are playing on grounds they are not especially familiar with. No team is going to have fans present to gee them up (and maybe influence umpiring calls), at least for the first half of the season. Personally I doubt we’ll have crowds back any time this year, but if we do, those SA and WA teams could get an extra benefit from a run of games in their parochial home stated, with crowds. All depends on what you think the bigger contributors to home game advantage are. The fact that some clubs may nominally get nine home games and others eight is probably one of the least distorting features of this year’s competition.

I wouldn't worry too much about fairness of the comp this year, or even the run for the premiership. For the Swans, the important thing is to get game time into our young team and set ourselves for a solid run up the ladder next year. Covid has put a big dent into a season I was really looking forward to this season, even though just making the 8 would be a real accomplishment, because I feel we are on the verge of a strong run in the coming years. Now I'm just happy to if we complete the season with this abbreviated schedule.

Covid 19 and footy - season (suspended) now resumed

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I wouldn't worry too much about fairness of the comp this year, or even the run for the premiership. For the Swans, the important thing is to get game time into our young team and set ourselves for a solid run up the ladder next year. Covid has put a big dent into a season I was really looking forward to this season, even though just making the 8 would be a real accomplishment, because I feel we are on the verge of a strong run in the coming years. Now I'm just happy to if we complete the season with this abbreviated schedule.
    I am of like mind to Ludwig. Far worse examples of unfairness all around us in a pandemic than the possibility of one less home match than some other team.

Re the revised scheduling, I think one of the harder aspects for players might be the new travel arrangements. It has been reported that the schedule for the first five rounds has been designed to allow two teams to travel together in chartered flights. Hence home matches for both Sydney teams in rounds 2, 4 and 5 (with two Vic teams flying together to Sydney) and away matches for both Sydney and GWS at Marvel in round 3.

So for the Kangaroos playing GWS at 1.05pm Sunday 14 June, it seems they will fly in Sunday morning and presumably go straight to the Showgrounds to prepare to play. Then hang around until we have finished off the Bombers later in the afternoon to be able to fly home.

In a normal season North would have flown in the night before, stayed in a hotel, and been able to go through their normal ‘away’ pre-match routines. This might take some adjustment both physically and mentally.

We might be lucky: our trip to Melbourne for round 3 involves GWS playing a Fri night match while we play Sat 1.45pm. So perhaps we will be able to fly down Fri with GWS and stay overnight, that is a ‘normal’ routine.

https://7news.com.au/sport/afl/chart...ture-c-1058713

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Spot on. I'm just glad to see our team playing. This year is going to have an asterisk against it when looking back. We just have to accept the situation, adapt, push on, make the most of it. I'm sure that's the message at the club too. That's a life message and learning opportunity for our kids too.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    With a 17 game season it means there is going to be an uneven number of home v away games for each team. How is the AFL going to deal with this to make it fair?
    It's an interesting question I haven't seen raised elsewhere, Mel. While I take the points of the posters who followed your post, the AFL presumably needs to apply some principles to determine which teams have one fewer 'home' games. You'd think the 'fairest' approach would be to give one fewer home games to the Melbourne teams who can play away games at the same empty stadiums as their home games.

Happy Peter V'Landys day everyone.

I think we can all thank Peter for forcing the AFL to actually do something about getting a season going in 2020.

Now, just imagine for a minute, if we could get V'Landys as CEO or chairman of the AFL. A can-do, hard-headed, Sydney-based, leader of the AFL. Its so far from what we have now, but if you really wanted to make AFL a national sport, poaching V'Landys is the first step.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post

I think we can all thank Peter for forcing the AFL to actually do something about getting a season going in 2020.

Now, just imagine for a minute, if we could get V'Landys as CEO or chairman of the AFL. A can-do, hard-headed, Sydney-based, leader of the AFL. Its so far from what we have now, but if you really wanted to make AFL a national sport, poaching V'Landys is the first step.
    While you are truly a @@@@ stirrer barry, I do agree that Vlandys has proven time and time again to be a very perceptive sports adminstrator and was a very wise choice by the NRL. In saying that he was in charge of a sport that had much less room to move on delays to restarting and just because they were first to restart doesnt mean they will be the most successful.

AFL always has had a more measured approach and hindsight will probably show which was the wiser option. One thing I do know is that if any sport is going to shoot itself in the foot, its NRL. The players and club level administrators have proven time and again that no matter what you do at the top, they will figure out a way to undermine and bring the sport crashing back down.

Ive copped a lot of personal abuse on this thread, and even had the mods try and shift debate away to the graveyard, but by 7pm tonight, on the official national holiday "V'Landys day" in NSW, QLD, ACT, NZ (and Vic?) wherever NRL is played, the first profession sport re-starts in Australia.

Some prolific posters on here have had their AFL-apologist agenda's exposed, here are some examples from this very thread:

bloodsports: It does seem inevitable that the footy season is just not going to be played out, even if they start.
    AnnieH: Just shut it down for 2020
    707: I was staggered when their unimpressive head honcho (V'Landy?) declared they are restarting their season on a set date in late May like they will decide to do what they want regardless of the rest of society.
    - but later realises his mistake--- The NRL is now forging ahead whilst the AFL fiddles and panders to soft types that can't leave home.
    royboy42: ..And equally astonished if we saw any footy before September at the earliest. My tip is no play this season.
    Melbourne_Blood: Baz, you’ve got be kidding. The NRL, running rings around the AFL on the issue of Coronavirus restart ?
    and.. Baz you might want to check the latest on the mighty NRL’s plans to restart, their main broadcast partner has hit the brakes on it
    stevoswans: There is nothing wrong with being careful in the face of a pandemic.....on the other hand, being bold is sometimes stupid and often a result of desperation. The NRL is the latter
    KTigers: Yeah, I'd be running in the opposite direction to whatever the NRL is doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Magoo View Post
    I do agree that Vlandys has proven time and time again to be a very perceptive sports adminstrator and was a very wise choice by the NRL. In saying that he was in charge of a sport that had much less room to move on delays to restarting and just because they were first to restart doesnt mean they will be the most successful.
    i think the NRL financial troubles were a bit overstated. Sure, its not the best, but miles ahead of Rugby union and A-league. I suspect the "we're broke" line was political to get rid of greenburg.

I have no doubt the the AFL re-mortgaging of Marvel was based on an initial plan to not restart the comp until all state borders were open and thing back to normal, probably August at the earliest. NRL has forced them to pull their finger out.
    AFL always has had a more measured approach and hindsight will probably show which was the wiser option. One thing I do know is that if any sport is going to shoot itself in the foot, its NRL. The players and club level administrators have proven time and again that no matter what you do at the top, they will figure out a way to undermine and bring the sport crashing back down.
    Definitely not wiser, because they are now following the NRL lead.

On the veteran's list

Unfortunately V'landys has a giant chip on his shoulder because he knows he's running second-rate organizations and willing to risk doing real harm to the community to get his head on TV. Absolutely no social responsibility, just a "look at me, look at me" attitude. Typical small man syndrome. The NRL are an amateur basket case compared to the AFL and Sydney racing will forever be in the shadow of the big boys in Melbourne. That reality won't be changed by yelling louder and slagging on those who put you in the shade.

Re your comment about him making AFL a truly national sport. He's running the NRL at present which is basically NSW, a touch of Queensland and an outpost in Melbourne. Yeah, he's our man!
    Those who have the greatest power to hurt us are those we love.

Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cat View Post

Re your comment about him making AFL a truly national sport. He's running the NRL at present which is basically NSW, a touch of Queensland and an outpost in Melbourne. Yeah, he's our man!
    Lol. He only been running the NRL for 2 months.

- - - Updated - - -

... and he's only got beat Gill the dill for the job.

Senior Player
    Ive copped a lot of personal abuse on this thread, and even had the mods try and shift debate away to the graveyard, but by 7pm tonight, on the official national holiday "V'Landys day" in NSW, QLD, ACT, NZ (and Vic?) wherever NRL is played, the first profession sport re-starts in Australia.

Some prolific posters on here have had their AFL-apologist agenda's exposed, here are some examples from this very thread:

bloodsports: It does seem inevitable that the footy season is just not going to be played out, even if they start.
    AnnieH: Just shut it down for 2020
    707: I was staggered when their unimpressive head honcho (V'Landy?) declared they are restarting their season on a set date in late May like they will decide to do what they want regardless of the rest of society.
    - but later realises his mistake--- The NRL is now forging ahead whilst the AFL fiddles and panders to soft types that can't leave home.
    royboy42: ..And equally astonished if we saw any footy before September at the earliest. My tip is no play this season.
    Melbourne_Blood: Baz, you’ve got be kidding. The NRL, running rings around the AFL on the issue of Coronavirus restart ?
    and.. Baz you might want to check the latest on the mighty NRL’s plans to restart, their main broadcast partner has hit the brakes on it
    stevoswans: There is nothing wrong with being careful in the face of a pandemic.....on the other hand, being bold is sometimes stupid and often a result of desperation. The NRL is the latter
    KTigers: Yeah, I'd be running in the opposite direction to whatever the NRL is doing.
    Gee Baz, you bear a grudge for a while.

None of these comments you quote seem to be directed at you.

They seem to be directed at decisions made or are peoples' personal opinions.

And if I'm an AFL apologist....well, you leave me speechless.