Page 61 of 93 FirstFirst ... 115157585960616263646571 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid 19 and footy - season (suspended) now resumed

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    I was also keen league fan as a kid, before gradually deciding that Aussie rules was a better game. In fact, in the Sydney of my youth, there wasn't even an option to play Aussie rules. None of the schools I went too played it. And as far as I knew, the weekend football comps were either league, union or soccer.

And speaking of league, I'm wondering what people think of the fake crowd noise, that they're now using on their coverage? (Well, certainly Nine is, I haven't watched a Fox game). At first, I found it interesting, but after a while, I decided that I could probably do without it.
    I think the crowd noise is quite good, and because you don't see much of the stands during coverage, and sometimes they are empty anyway, it's hard to tell the difference between 2020 and 2020.

One thing they have done is made a fairly big rule change since the first few rounds which is brave.

- - - Updated - - -

..between 2019 and 2020

Also, I think Peter V'andys has forced Gill to keep investing in the Sun's, by announcing a plan to add another Brisbane team for 2022.

No way Gill, already trailing V'landys, would want to be seen to cede south east queensland to the NRL.

On the veteran's list
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Also, I think Peter V'andys has forced Gill to keep investing in the Sun's, by announcing a plan to add another Brisbane team for 2022.

No way Gill, already trailing V'landys, would want to be seen to cede south east queensland to the NRL.
    From what was hinted at on Offsiders today, I think St V'landers may have got his pants pulled down by Nine and Foxtel with the new TV rights deal. In the words of Paul Keating relating to another ineffective attention seeker: "All tip, no iceberg."
    Those who have the greatest power to hurt us are those we love.

Senior Player
    I think the crowd noise is quite good, and because you don't see much of the stands during coverage, and sometimes they are empty anyway, it's hard to tell the difference between 2020 and 2020.

One thing they have done is made a fairly big rule change since the first few rounds which is brave.

- - - Updated - - -

..between 2019 and 2020
    I *really* don't like it. I find the dissonance between the visual absence of a crowd and the sound of one to be disconcerting. Also they (Fox) seem to use the same sounds at the same kind of moment. I hope we don't have it for the AFL broadcast, but I'm pessimistic.

Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cat View Post
    From what was hinted at on Offsiders today, I think St V'landers may have got his pants pulled down by Nine and Foxtel with the new TV rights deal. In the words of Paul Keating relating to another ineffective attention seeker: "All tip, no iceberg."
    How so ? It suited nine more for a non season as it saved it 130mill.League were desperate to play as it needed money.The fact that they gave a discount meant they got on the field and now will get a income. You're quite passionate in bagging Valandys , interesting.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    I hope we don't have it for the AFL broadcast, but I'm pessimistic.
    I think I read somewhere during the week that we will be stuck with it too. I don't need to watch any NRL games (and I haven't) to know it will probably be dreadful.

Quote Originally Posted by Kumarangk View Post
    How so ? It suited nine more for a non season as it saved it 130mill.League were desperate to play as it needed money.The fact that they gave a discount meant they got on the field and now will get a income. You're quite passionate in bagging Valandys , interesting.
    Especially based on heresay.

But I do wonder why both codes are redoing deals at, what must be, their weakest negotiation time.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I think I read somewhere during the week that we will be stuck with it too. I don't need to watch any NRL games (and I haven't) to know it will probably be dreadful.
    It's a lock for AFL.

I hope the AFL give that option of having a cutout figure of yourself at the game like the NRL has. I would pay $22 for that!

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    It's not too bad for the NRL, since most of the time, the camera shot largely just includes the players and the field. And anyway, having watched a few games played at ANZ over the years, it's not that much of a rarity, for a league game to have some crowd noise and largely empty stands.

However, I doubt if it will work with AFL, since following the ball flight means that the empty stands will be seen a lot more. Actually, I'd be interested to find out, if the mismatch between sight and sound, will be enough to cause nausea in some people? In a similar way, to how the mismatch between sight and balance can cause sea-sickness.

Especially based on heresay.

But I do wonder why both codes are redoing deals at, what must be, their weakest negotiation time.

- - - Updated - - -

It's a lock for AFL.

I hope the AFL give that option of having a cutout figure of yourself at the game like the NRL has. I would pay $22 for that!
    Hope your going to pay it Barry and get one put up in the members suite at ANZ Stadium when NRL gets played there again at some stage
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    Hope your going to pay it Barry and get one put up in the members suite at ANZ Stadium when NRL gets played there again at some stage
    They already have my statue, so I think another card board cutout is overdoing it.

Without redevelopment, I guess ANZ remains an AFL venue.

- - - Updated - - -

The Grand old lady of Australian sport has a few songs left in her yet.

Covid 19 and footy - season (suspended) now resumed

Interesting article over the weekend which said that ‘Sydney asked the AFL for special dispensation which would have allowed superstar forward Lance Franklin access to the club during the shutdown period to minimise his chance of injury.’

Request refused and Franklin injured when club training resumed. Obviously this might have happened anyway, something no-one can judge with certainty.

However it seems to me it was pig-headed of the AFL not to allow medical staff at all Clubs (not just the Swans) to work with injured players/players in rehabilitation during the shutdown. You and I were allowed to seek medical advice & assistance as necessary during the iso period. In fact we were actively encouraged to do so, with concern expressed that people were staying away from doctors which would lead to serious medical issues later.

Surely the same should have applied to players with footy injuries.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/...28-p54x8j.html
    Last edited by Meg; 1st June 2020 at 12:02 PM.