Page 75 of 93 FirstFirst ... 256571727374757677787985 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid 19 and footy - season (suspended) now resumed

What a crazy time.
    They should have all come to NSW in March - like I suggested.
    We have enough TV ready grounds and plenty of training grounds.
    Failing that - just bite the bullet and cancel the season.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Goes up to 11
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    Failing that - just bite the bullet and cancel the season.
    No way - I'm glad the footy has been on - it's a nice diversion and I'll always rather watching sport than the other filler that's on tele when there's no sport on.

Hope we plough on - I love the spectacle of a half-decent game of footy regardless of who's playing.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by snajik View Post
    It was funny though that hawthorn continuously got pinged for HTB. A delicious irony.
    Is it just me or does a 10 to 1 htb count against the Hawks suggest that the umpires are less happy accepting Clarko's advice than Gilligan is?

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    Is it just me or does a 10 to 1 htb count against the Hawks suggest that the umpires are less happy accepting Clarko's advice than Gilligan is?
    I was at the game and GWS were all over the Hawks physically. Tho' we twice saw Harry Himmelberg push the ball under the guy he
    was tackling and get a free from it. Lots of players do this I reckon. It was pretty funny watching the Hawks continually pinged for HTB
    considering Clarko's edict to Gill earlier in the week.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    It was pretty funny watching the Hawks continually pinged for HTB
    considering Clarko's edict to Gill earlier in the week.
    Well into Tuesday and no media article with Clarkson complaining about a rule that disadvantages the Hawks?

I thought this quote was quite funny - and illustrates that weird statistical quirks just come up by chance sometimes.

Snap Shot: Pagan's Paddock full of horses with names to remember

While we're on that game, it's worth noting that the umpires seem to have a thing against players named Darcy in 2020. Geelong's Darcy Fort (0 free kicks for, 9 free kicks against) and the Lions' Darcy Gardiner (0-5), who line up against each other on Thursday, have gained no love from the officials.

Add in Darcy Parish (0-3), Darcy Cameron (0-2) and Sean Darcy (1-5) and it's moving closer to a conspiracy.

At 21 free kicks for and 42 against, it's time for Hawthorn coach Alastair Clarkson to blow up about the Darcy issue post-game so the umpires change their behaviour.

Has Gill and the AFL commission also moved out of Melbourne ?

With Melbourne going back into Stage 3 lockdown restrictions it’s going to be difficult for the Vic clubs to go home and keep playing after the scheduled block of matches coming up. So either they stay interstate or we are headed for another season suspension?

Very sad and grim situation in Melbourne. Could very easily also happen here in Sydney.

Don't know how they are going to run the comp now that Melbourne are in lock down for six weeks.
    Seriously, they should just stop making it about money and shut the whole bloody thing down.
    Write off 2020 as a bad dream.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    Don't know how they are going to run the comp now that Melbourne are in lock down for six weeks.
    Seriously, they should just stop making it about money and shut the whole bloody thing down.
    Write off 2020 as a bad dream.
    I for one Annie would like some footy to watch on T.V while I spend another six weeks in stage 3 lock down. Was one of the things that drove me crazy during the first one, no sport to watch.

There are still many other businesses that have majority of their staff working from home , don’t see why The AFL can’t make it work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    I for one Annie would like some footy to watch on T.V while I spend another six weeks in stage 3 lock down. Was one of the things that drove me crazy during the first one, no sport to watch.

There are still many other businesses that have majority of their staff working from home , don’t see why The AFL can’t make it work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likewise. I'm enjoying the season and it's weird quirks. Have actually been to two games and am planning to go to the
    Suns-Demons game at Giant Stadium on Saturday if we can get tickets with some Melbourne supporting friends (yes,
    they exist in Sydney). Watching games where you a neutral is always so much more relaxing anyway.

Turns out the AFLs hub planning showed prescience. V'landys baiting not so much.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/...29-p54xuh.html

SPORTAFLAFL 2020
    Ploughing the field for the AFL: how V'landys sees race
    By Jake Niall
    May 29, 2020 — 7.34pm
    When Australian Rugby League's redoubtable chairman Peter V'landys set the target of NRL returning to play on May 28, there was a measure of incredulity among leading AFL figures.
    Last edited by liz; 7th July 2020 at 08:27 PM. Reason: Please don't repost in full content from another site. Just a paragraph or two, plus a link, is fine

The quiet continuance and soldiering on of horse racing gives some hope I guess that (despite teams all over) the AFL Can keep going .