Page 63 of 93 FirstFirst ... 135359606162636465666773 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid 19 and footy - season (suspended) now resumed

Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    Some of the dribble posted on here makes me laugh. Driving force of Australian sport
    Little Victorian.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Little Victorian.
    You couldn't be more wrong Barry. Born and bred country NSW boy, know the league scene still far better then I know the AFL scene in Victoria (which is unsuprising since I have no affiliation to Victoria at all and have never lived there), even when my interest in rugby league at the elite level is somewhat peripheral compared to previous times.

I also know that V'landys isn't the Messiah you think he is - he is a 'house of cards' man that is all talk, but won't walk the walk when it comes to the push and shove. The only thing V'landys is good at is scrapping like Oliver Twist at the Government's door asking 'Please sir can I have some more'.

NRL as a sport is going nowhere, despite boot licking attempts to suggest otherwise - they are experts at attempting to dress a pig up to look like a princess. If it wasn't for rugby union that makes every other sport look well run...
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Except all evidence suggests otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Except all evidence suggests otherwise.
    In your opinion only Barry - remember that, its your opinion. Evidence is objective, but its interpretation is highly subjective. Others are free to hold a contrary view to you - you repeating your latest 'go to view' over and over ad nausea doesn't suddenly make it fact, despite that being your modus operandi on this board for many years.

There are plenty of indicators out there that the dressing up of a pig with lipstick continues with the NRL as it always has since the Super League war days.

Perfect example is to trying to package up the new TV deal as some sort of miraculous deal, when scratching under the surface and looking past the attention grabbing headlines, its not a particularly good deal at all where the code is somewhat worse off in the medium to longer term - and that's assuming Foxtel doesn't fall over at some stage (which is a genuine possibility). I'm pretty sure even you admitted how strange it was to be trying to negotiate an extension at this stage, when there is plenty of time to run on the current contract.

But I expect that ties into the need to ensure they can address the issues that are likely to arise from the need earlier in the year for the NRL to desperately go chasing overseas for funding from what is more than likely to be a consortium only one step off being loan sharks, to source contingency funding to continue through the crisis as a good thing - following the game admitting it had basically nothing in its equivalent of the future fund, despite record revenues for years and years and years and a detailed plan going back almost a decade to save money for a rainy day.

Then there's the fact its a competition where the administrativee body costs the code half a million dollars a day.

Oh, then there is the latest stadium mess - the key point being there was V'landys yet again showing his true colours of a first reaction still being a hand out to government - "Give us 4 stadiums or else...."

Yes elements of those issues are pre-V'landys. but there is zero evidence to show he has changed anything of substance about how the NRL works since he has taken over, or that he is the messiah you pretend he maybe.

In reality, he is the perfect chairman for the NRL - he has no long term vision, and with a strong penchant to be obsessed with the largest greatest fad - because its the only strategy he knows,, as reflected by some of the tripe dreamed up by Racing NSW under his stewardship.

He will prove in time to be doing nothing but another administrator of the game used to flapping about baying for any attention possible, looking for anyone else to foot the bill, rather then getting on with actual reforms to fix the maladministration that has plagued the code for decades.

None of that is to say the AFL isn't guilty of similar crimes in its own ways. And we all know the mess Union has got itself into.
    Last edited by mcs; 5th June 2020 at 01:07 AM.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Senior Player
    Folks, so I have a question. I am thinking of ditching Foxtel after having it since when it started. The thought of continuing to hand over
    money to the Murdochs has become too much for me. Can someone tell me besides free to air TV and the pub is there somewhere else that
    screens the games. Happy to pay, just not to that evil empire.

I have never had foxtel. You get all swans and Giants games on FTA and another game. How much footy do you need?..
    I've dabbled with kayo a few times, buy I find it boring and the talk shows are horid.

I think a Telstra mobile gets you all games and you can probability Chromecast to your tv.

Hi MCS. Listen, I don't like this "go to view" rubbish. 6 months ago I had never heard of V'landys. But you've got to admire what he has done to get NRL back. If he implodes from here on, he's still done an amazing job. And it's has killed any AFL discussion in the Sydney media. As you know, my 'go to view' is I care for NSW, and the game in NSW, and right now he is a massive threat to that.
    Victoria can afford to be dismissive.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    Folks, so I have a question. I am thinking of ditching Foxtel after having it since when it started. The thought of continuing to hand over
    money to the Murdochs has become too much for me. Can someone tell me besides free to air TV and the pub is there somewhere else that
    screens the games. Happy to pay, just not to that evil empire.
    +1. For the same reasons. It's something that I've struggled with for years. Then again advertisements after every goal is pretty ugly too. Looking for a 3rd option. All I'm seeing is kayo which is Murdoch owned also.
    It's very hard to live in a studio apartment in San Jose with a man who's learning to play violin. That's what she told the police when she handed them the empty revolver.
    The Scarlatti Tilt - Richard Brautigan

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by snajik View Post
    +1. For the same reasons. It's something that I've struggled with for years. Then again advertisements after every goal is pretty ugly too. Looking for a 3rd option. All I'm seeing is kayo which is Murdoch owned also.
    Yes, the straw that broke the camels back was when I accidently switched from CNN to Fox News the other day when following the situation in
    the US. Those people are evil or nuts or both. That channel should have some sort of warning label on it. Barry said FTA has both the Swans
    & GWS games on it, so that'll have to do me I think. If I miss Freo v Port or whoever I'm sure I'll pull through.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    Yes, the straw that broke the camels back was when I accidently switched from CNN to Fox News the other day when following the situation in
    the US. Those people are evil or nuts or both. That channel should have some sort of warning label on it. Barry said FTA has both the Swans
    & GWS games on it, so that'll have to do me I think. If I miss Freo v Port or whoever I'm sure I'll pull through.
    I subscribe to Foxtel, and have done for years, and when friends who say they'd never pay for TV ask me why, I always justify it on the basis of loving footy and wanting to watch more than just the Swans games (and to watch those advert free).

But while that's my main reason, and the vast majority of stuff I don't watch, there are other channels that I assign value to. There are some quality dramas to be found on channels like BBC First, and I also really enjoy the UK versions of MasterChef (hate the Australian version) and both the UK and Australian Great Bake Offs. Plus one of my mindless guilty pleasures is a few of the many of US cop shows - those that feature the good guys (most of the time) that shed no light onto the more pervasive US policing matters - shows like Criminal Minds and SVU.

Whenever I'm staying in a hotel room that only has the main FTA commercial channels, I'm appalled by the awful quality of pretty much every programme they show. I don't even particularly enjoy much of the stuff on the ABC.

So while footy is my main motivation - and I do typically tune into parts of five or six games most weekends - I personally find some other value in the Foxtel offering.

Senior Player
    I guess I've drifted away from watching movies and drama series in recent years. The former I often find formulaic, the latter demand a commitment to see it through 'til the end. (Though I am fully engaged with Last Man On Earth atm. A comedy about the world's population being wiped out by a virus which I started watching before C-19 came along). Reality TV, apart from being a misnomer is mostly hideous. Which leaves me with documentaries which I really enjoy but its rare that you'll find anything of this nature on Foxtel. I tend to gravitate to sbs on demand, viceland and iview. Foxtel has held me hostage for years due to having the most comprehensive and ad-free coverage of footy. I could probably live without the rest of it.

KT - Foxtel does have a block option so you can set your viewing options accordingly to ensure that Fox news never crosses your screen again. Sadly, this is the primary news source for Americans (either Americans generally, or American cable subscribers - can't remember which). What hope have they got?

I've currently dumped the fox sports package during the no live sport era. I suspect I'll eventually come moseying back, tail between legs.
    It's very hard to live in a studio apartment in San Jose with a man who's learning to play violin. That's what she told the police when she handed them the empty revolver.
    The Scarlatti Tilt - Richard Brautigan

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I subscribe to Foxtel, and have done for years, and when friends who say they'd never pay for TV ask me why, I always justify it on the basis of loving footy and wanting to watch more than just the Swans games (and to watch those advert free).

But while that's my main reason, and the vast majority of stuff I don't watch, there are other channels that I assign value to. There are some quality dramas to be found on channels like BBC First, and I also really enjoy the UK versions of MasterChef (hate the Australian version) and both the UK and Australian Great Bake Offs. Plus one of my mindless guilty pleasures is a few of the many of US cop shows - those that feature the good guys (most of the time) that shed no light onto the more pervasive US policing matters - shows like Criminal Minds and SVU.

Whenever I'm staying in a hotel room that only has the main FTA commercial channels, I'm appalled by the awful quality of pretty much every programme they show. I don't even particularly enjoy much of the stuff on the ABC.

So while footy is my main motivation - and I do typically tune into parts of five or six games most weekends - I personally find some other value in the Foxtel offering.
    Yes, for sure, Foxtel does have a bunch of non footy programming that is appealing. I like the HBO stuff and some of the news/
    doco channels. And I probably watch way too much golf. And I do know what you mean re the TV offerings in hotels. It's terrible.
    I just find the extremely conservative Murdochs a bit much to take politically. In an ideal world they'd go broke and a slightly less
    "evil" media empire would buy Foxtel from the receiver, rename it something bland and I'd be able to subscribe again.
    Then again, maybe I just have too much time on my hands and have been over thinking it.