Page 60 of 60 FirstFirst ... 10505657585960

Thread: Covid 19 and footy - season (suspended) now resumed

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    No that was actually the lazy 'racing man' coming out in V'Landys. If there is one industry that forever is suckling off the teat of the government at every opportunity, its racing. He just thought the same tactic could work for the NRL - as naive as they come.

As someone that has dealt into the dirty and dark world of racing for sins in a past life through my work, and hence seen some of his 'administration' in that sector, I don't have an unbiased view of him. But people that know him personally, and that I trust in their judgment, say he is every bit the slimy character he comes across as.
    I agree. If ever you were to look for a "sport" that this more built on the transference of wealth from the poor to the wealthy than racing
    you'd have a hard time indeed. "Trickle Up" economics at it's finest.

Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    Wow. I decided to jump back on after a RWO hiatus (aligned with the AFL's to a degree), and I see yet another thread that's become yet another 'all about Barry' thread. I think I'll go elsewhere for some footy enlightenment for a bit longer - this is pretty pathetic really...
    I'm only talking about V'andys, so don't blame me for the 'Barry' obsession.

Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    I agree. If ever you were to look for a "sport" that this more built on the transference of wealth from the poor to the wealthy than racing
    you'd have a hard time indeed. "Trickle Up" economics at it's finest.
    I find racing boring and gambling is a tax on the mathematically inept, but AFL loves gamblers like all sports do. And we saw a great example of trickle up economics when Collingwood, a $80m corporation, was manipulating is members who lost there minimum wage job at the local cafe to not ask for a refund of membership despite no games to attend.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    I find racing boring and gambling is a tax on the mathematically inept, but AFL loves gamblers like all sports do. And we saw a great example of trickle up economics when Collingwood, a $80m corporation, was manipulating is members who lost there minimum wage job at the local cafe to not ask for a refund of membership despite no games to attend.
    None of the footy clubs are saints that is for sure. Even at the Swans ; who are the first people to be laid off? the lowest paid employees.
    Then there was "The Pledge" email. A thinly veiled piece of sentimental marketing designed to get season ticket holders to not to ask for
    a refund on their prepaid seats at home games. That was a doozy that one. They must think we're all 14 years old. I mean I get it.
    Times are tough, everyone has their @@@@ing hand out right now, but maybe talk to people like they are adults.

Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cat View Post
    Unfortunately V'landys has a giant chip on his shoulder because he knows he's running second-rate organizations and willing to risk doing real harm to the community to get his head on TV. Absolutely no social responsibility, just a "look at me, look at me" attitude. Typical small man syndrome. The NRL are an amateur basket case compared to the AFL and Sydney racing will forever be in the shadow of the big boys in Melbourne. That reality won't be changed by yelling louder and slagging on those who put you in the shade.

Re your comment about him making AFL a truly national sport. He's running the NRL at present which is basically NSW, a touch of Queensland and an outpost in Melbourne. Yeah, he's our man!
    A Touch of Queensland ?? I like both sports but be fair , It's the main game by far in both states and nationally has the highest rating shows on free to air & Pay TV with SOO , GF & Test matches.The game has been a basket case administratively as the clubs run the game , not head office. AFL has been the opposite and the game has prospered . Looks like Valandys has stopped the rot and is making vast changes for the health of the game in a dictator role that will continue as long as he keeps kicking goals. God help other sports when the NRL stops shooting itself in the foot !

Page 60 of 60 FirstFirst ... 10505657585960