Page 59 of 93 FirstFirst ... 94955565758596061626369 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid 19 and footy - season (suspended) now resumed

Well done Baz, you’ve shown us all mate. Bloody good on ya, and forget V’landys day, it’s your day mate. Enjoy it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bitter much?

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    bitter much?
    Yes, extremely. Not sure how I’m going to sleep tonight , I’m sure watching the NRL will help though !

Perhaps there is a learning here that its not always wise to shot from the hip without engaging your brain first.

I dont like Rugba league much myself, but give credit where credit is due. V'Landys has his fingers in two sports (racing and NRL) and both are operating while all others arent.

Perhaps there is a learning here that its not always wise to shot from the hip without engaging your brain first.

I dont like Rugba league much myself, but give credit where credit is due. V'Landys has his fingers in two sports (racing and NRL) and both are operating while all others arent.
    He’s not responsible for the racing industry remaining open Baz , but yes he deserves credit for getting the NRL back first of the major football codes. He’s certainly had some luck along the way with how well the virus has been contained in Australia in the past 6 weeks or so . He gambled a lot on it and it has paid off.

Senior Player
    Might be a little early to claim "victory" yet Baz. Kick off time is not for an hour or so yet, right?
    While I'm here, did anyone see the 7:30 show on the ABC last night, and the segment on the Eels fans
    and the guy with the "Parra Cave" built in his garage? That was a serious amount of footy merch!

Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    He’s not responsible for the racing industry remaining open Baz , but yes he deserves credit for getting the NRL back first of the major football codes. He’s certainly had some luck along the way with how well the virus has been contained in Australia in the past 6 weeks or so . He gambled a lot on it and it has paid off.

A better man would just admit they made a wrong call and move on.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    Might be a little early to claim "victory" yet Baz. Kick off time is not for an hour or so yet, right?
    While I'm here, did anyone see the 7:30 show on the ABC last night, and the segment on the Eels fans
    and the guy with the "Parra Cave" built in his garage? That was a serious amount of footy merch!
    Yes, he took his footy very seriously indeed! Only rivalled in my viewing by a little old lady who followed Norf and had blue and white everywhere plus a couple of tattoos.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Goes up to 11
    Wow. I decided to jump back on after a RWO hiatus (aligned with the AFL's to a degree), and I see yet another thread that's become yet another 'all about Barry' thread. I think I'll go elsewhere for some footy enlightenment for a bit longer - this is pretty pathetic really...

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    Wow. I decided to jump back on after a RWO hiatus (aligned with the AFL's to a degree), and I see yet another thread that's become yet another 'all about Barry' thread. I think I'll go elsewhere for some footy enlightenment for a bit longer - this is pretty pathetic really...
    Having a spell myself for the very same reason

I suspect the "we're broke" line was political to get rid of greenburg.
    No that was actually the lazy 'racing man' coming out in V'Landys. If there is one industry that forever is suckling off the teat of the government at every opportunity, its racing. He just thought the same tactic could work for the NRL - as naive as they come.

As someone that has dealt into the dirty and dark world of racing for sins in a past life through my work, and hence seen some of his 'administration' in that sector, I don't have an unbiased view of him. But people that know him personally, and that I trust in their judgment, say he is every bit the slimy character he comes across as.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

I'd suggest wait and see what happens over the next few months before reaching a conclusion. Both NRL and AFL are only a few infections away from being shutdown. Starting up a few weeks in advance of AFL doesn't seem much of an achievement to me.

I don't know much about V'Landy's but what I've seen makes him come across as a bit of a self promoting knob.