Page 60 of 93 FirstFirst ... 105056575859606162636470 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid 19 and footy - season (suspended) now resumed

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    No that was actually the lazy 'racing man' coming out in V'Landys. If there is one industry that forever is suckling off the teat of the government at every opportunity, its racing. He just thought the same tactic could work for the NRL - as naive as they come.

As someone that has dealt into the dirty and dark world of racing for sins in a past life through my work, and hence seen some of his 'administration' in that sector, I don't have an unbiased view of him. But people that know him personally, and that I trust in their judgment, say he is every bit the slimy character he comes across as.
    I agree. If ever you were to look for a "sport" that this more built on the transference of wealth from the poor to the wealthy than racing
    you'd have a hard time indeed. "Trickle Up" economics at it's finest.

Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    Wow. I decided to jump back on after a RWO hiatus (aligned with the AFL's to a degree), and I see yet another thread that's become yet another 'all about Barry' thread. I think I'll go elsewhere for some footy enlightenment for a bit longer - this is pretty pathetic really...
    I'm only talking about V'andys, so don't blame me for the 'Barry' obsession.

Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    I agree. If ever you were to look for a "sport" that this more built on the transference of wealth from the poor to the wealthy than racing
    you'd have a hard time indeed. "Trickle Up" economics at it's finest.
    I find racing boring and gambling is a tax on the mathematically inept, but AFL loves gamblers like all sports do. And we saw a great example of trickle up economics when Collingwood, a $80m corporation, was manipulating is members who lost there minimum wage job at the local cafe to not ask for a refund of membership despite no games to attend.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    I find racing boring and gambling is a tax on the mathematically inept, but AFL loves gamblers like all sports do. And we saw a great example of trickle up economics when Collingwood, a $80m corporation, was manipulating is members who lost there minimum wage job at the local cafe to not ask for a refund of membership despite no games to attend.
    None of the footy clubs are saints that is for sure. Even at the Swans ; who are the first people to be laid off? the lowest paid employees.
    Then there was "The Pledge" email. A thinly veiled piece of sentimental marketing designed to get season ticket holders to not to ask for
    a refund on their prepaid seats at home games. That was a doozy that one. They must think we're all 14 years old. I mean I get it.
    Times are tough, everyone has their @@@@ing hand out right now, but maybe talk to people like they are adults.

Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cat View Post
    Unfortunately V'landys has a giant chip on his shoulder because he knows he's running second-rate organizations and willing to risk doing real harm to the community to get his head on TV. Absolutely no social responsibility, just a "look at me, look at me" attitude. Typical small man syndrome. The NRL are an amateur basket case compared to the AFL and Sydney racing will forever be in the shadow of the big boys in Melbourne. That reality won't be changed by yelling louder and slagging on those who put you in the shade.

Re your comment about him making AFL a truly national sport. He's running the NRL at present which is basically NSW, a touch of Queensland and an outpost in Melbourne. Yeah, he's our man!
    A Touch of Queensland ?? I like both sports but be fair , It's the main game by far in both states and nationally has the highest rating shows on free to air & Pay TV with SOO , GF & Test matches.The game has been a basket case administratively as the clubs run the game , not head office. AFL has been the opposite and the game has prospered . Looks like Valandys has stopped the rot and is making vast changes for the health of the game in a dictator role that will continue as long as he keeps kicking goals. God help other sports when the NRL stops shooting itself in the foot !

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Kumarangk View Post
    A Touch of Queensland ?? I like both sports but be fair , It's the main game by far in both states and nationally has the highest rating shows on free to air & Pay TV with SOO , GF & Test matches.The game has been a basket case administratively as the clubs run the game , not head office. AFL has been the opposite and the game has prospered . Looks like Valandys has stopped the rot and is making vast changes for the health of the game in a dictator role that will continue as long as he keeps kicking goals. God help other sports when the NRL stops shooting itself in the foot !
    Maybe if it got into more of the country? NSW and QLD hardly national....and made it much easier to get started too, of course.

Veterans List
    Thought I'd check out the NRL game. Apologies to those of you who are fans but this really is a boring game with short bursts before a heap of meatloaves collapse onto the ball carrier, get up, repeat etc etc

I know the game has millions of welded on fans but I couldn't watch it for more than a few minutes without being bored. Looking forward to the AFL returning to my screen.

Quote Originally Posted by royboy42 View Post
    Maybe if it got into more of the country? NSW and QLD hardly national....and made it much easier to get started too, of course.
    Sure, but you are still talking about way over 60% of the Australia's population. As i said , i love both games but it does interest me how defensive die hard AFL supporters get and feel they have to bag any other code than theirs. I guess you cant categorize AFL & NRL supporters of being "sports supporters "

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Thought I'd check out the NRL game. Apologies to those of you who are fans but this really is a boring game with short bursts before a heap of meatloaves collapse onto the ball carrier, get up, repeat etc etc

I know the game has millions of welded on fans but I couldn't watch it for more than a few minutes without being bored. Looking forward to the AFL returning to my screen.
    I used to be a die hard as a kid, before evolving to Australian Rules. But I feel the same now. At its absolute peak it can be exciting, but the average game is stodgy.

I’m from the UK. When the top flight football (soccer) was moved to Sky, they replaced it with Rugby League, a game I’d never seen before in my life. It would be like replacing AFL with Netball.

I hate Rugby League

Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    I used to be a die hard as a kid, before evolving to Australian Rules. But I feel the same now. At its absolute peak it can be exciting, but the average game is stodgy.
    I was also keen league fan as a kid, before gradually deciding that Aussie rules was a better game. In fact, in the Sydney of my youth, there wasn't even an option to play Aussie rules. None of the schools I went too played it. And as far as I knew, the weekend football comps were either league, union or soccer.

And speaking of league, I'm wondering what people think of the fake crowd noise, that they're now using on their coverage? (Well, certainly Nine is, I haven't watched a Fox game). At first, I found it interesting, but after a while, I decided that I could probably do without it.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Kumarangk View Post
    Sure, but you are still talking about way over 60% of the Australia's population. As i said , i love both games but it does interest me how defensive die hard AFL supporters get and feel they have to bag any other code than theirs. I guess you cant categorize AFL & NRL supporters of being "sports supporters "
    That's not so true.....just go onto Youtube and check some AFL reaction vids and then check the comments.....there is always rugby league fans on there proclaiming that their game is better and that AFL is for fairies.....their delusion is quite boring (and comical). I also believe that both AFL and NRL fans do follow other sports, just not their opposing footy codes....and fair enough.
    Last edited by stevoswan; 31st May 2020 at 02:40 PM.