Page 81 of 93 FirstFirst ... 317177787980818283848591 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid 19 and footy - season (suspended) now resumed

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Extremely interesting article, thankyou for posting dejavoodoo44

Not only on how poor the telecast vision is (usually it's the commentary that attracts the opprobrium).

But also where's the best place to see the game.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Another quality AFL journalist is Russell Jackson. This recent article is a lengthy, but interesting discussion on what coverage the coaches look at and its difference to the TV coverage that we see at home.

Analysis: Could broadcasters be the source
    One of the interesting things I learnt from that article is that the coaches have a behind-the-goals TV feed streaming into the coaches box.

I have wondered how much the coaches lose by viewing side-on. Now I know they have down-the-oval vision as well.

Also interesting is the comment that non-competing team ‘spies’ sit high up behind the goals to suss out tactics, player set-ups etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    Extremely interesting article, thankyou for posting dejavoodoo44

Not only on how poor the telecast vision is (usually it's the commentary that attracts the opprobrium).

But also where's the best place to see the game.
    Yes, possibly what I found the most interesting, was how it stressed the lack of tactical analysis on the TV coverage. As a former Sydneysider, who wasn't brought up on the game, a fair bit of what I know about Aussie rules, comes from watching the TV coverage. But after roughly 30 years of viewing, if a new convert asked me to explain the tactics of the game, I'd probably mutter something along the lines of: well, sometimes you play man on man, sometimes you play zone; sometimes you commit more to outside running; you change the match ups. And that's possibly about it?

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Yes, possibly what I found the most interesting, was how it stressed the lack of tactical analysis on the TV coverage. As a former Sydneysider, who wasn't brought up on the game, a fair bit of what I know about Aussie rules, comes from watching the TV coverage. But after roughly 30 years of viewing, if a new convert asked me to explain the tactics of the game, I'd probably mutter something along the lines of: well, sometimes you play man on man, sometimes you play zone; sometimes you commit more to outside running; you change the match ups. And that's possibly about it?
    When the Swans play at Marvel, I always watch from behind the goals on level 3 at the end which is full of red and white. It definitely shows the player movement patterns and strategies a lot more clearly. Not sure how they can get this view right on TV, having zero expertise or knowledge in the area.

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    When the Swans play at Marvel, I always watch from behind the goals on level 3 at the end which is full of red and white. It definitely shows the player movement patterns and strategies a lot more clearly. Not sure how they can get this view right on TV, having zero expertise or knowledge in the area.
    Yes, last week I was sitting high up, not quite behind the goals, more forward pocket. While I didn't really pick up much of the tactics, what was noticeable at times, was how we were handballing ourselves into trouble. That is, we would start a chain, but the Eagles would anticipate who the probable next links were. Then the player who received the ball, would be under more pressure, so he'd get a rushed handball away, to someone who was also under pressure, until the chain totally broke down.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Thanks for that article dejavoodoo44. It would be great to see the end-to-end view and the side-on camera more often, but unfortunately they will keep playing with their fancy toys and forget the ordinary punter.
    The other item that peeves me is the almost total lack of players' numbers and names. The constant rotation of new players into and out of the system means in too many cases a difficulty in picking up who they are. If the callers on a horse race can get it right, why can't we get more info from the footy callers?
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Senior Player
    My seats at scg are directly behind the goals at the victor trumper stand end. On level 3. I love sitting directly behind the goals.

If I could work out how to post pictures I would.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    When the Swans play at Marvel, I always watch from behind the goals on level 3 at the end which is full of red and white. It definitely shows the player movement patterns and strategies a lot more clearly.
    My SCG mates' favoured seats are high in the Noble, behind the goals. Personally I prefer closer to the action but I have to admit you can't beat high behind goals for a tactical overview. Really easy to spot movements like forwards leading or players going to their opponents, as the ball moves towards you.

Where do the footy commentators sit? Up in the same media area high up in the Noble that the cricket commentators use?

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    Steady on. Gill has been very very busy. What with the negotiations over Richmond's compensation package for having to play
    consecutive games outside Melbourne, and all the meetings with the AFL's new rules and umpiring director (Clarko) he barely
    has time to think.
    Very true. Plus a few years back he was busy giving us a trade ban and taking away COLA and ignoring the Goodes booing.

On a serious note hopefully the lack of AFL standard grounds will continue to be highlighted over the next month. It's necessary for the growth of the game. I read that Brad Scott was appointed to oversee the NSW hub so they might listen to him.

Brad Scott??. Talk about jobs for the "Victorian" boys. Is there seriously no one in Sydney who knows about Sydney footy grounds.?

I would love AFL commentary to explain what is going on tactically. I fear most commentators have no idea.