Page 22 of 93 FirstFirst ... 121819202122232425263272 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid 19 and footy - season (suspended) now resumed

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    I agree, I think we will get a season.

At the moment new infections are way down. Another month of social distancing and closed borders will pretty much clear it up.

We may not go back to normal then for several months but definitely more things should be re-starting. No reason why AFL couldn't be one of those if they used charter flights etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    Noting the downwards trend in new cases and positive test rates, I'm cautiously optimistic we'll get at least crowd-less footy back by late winter.

It's hard to imagine it being safe enough for crowds this year, but it's really too early to say.
    Crowdless footy may well return (let's hope so!) but crowds will not. Social distancing will/should remain until there is a vaccine for Covid19. Getting to the point of no new cases doesn't mean the virus is gone, it just means social distancing is working. To relax or remove these restrictions will see the return of new cases of Covid19. The availability of a vaccine followed by an extensive public vaccination programme* is the time when social distancing measures will be relaxed and crowds returning to the footy reconsidered but this may still be a long way off.....

*Let's hope the anti vaxxers have grown a brain and a sense of pubic responsibility in the meantime, for all our sakes!!

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Crowdless footy may well return (let's hope so!) but crowds will not. Social distancing will/should remain until there is a vaccine for Covid19. Getting to the point of no new cases doesn't mean the virus is gone, it just means social distancing is working. To relax or remove these restrictions will see the return of new cases of Covid19. The availability of a vaccine followed by an extensive public vaccination programme* is the time when social distancing measures will be relaxed and crowds returning to the footy reconsidered but this may still be a long way off.....

*Let's hope the anti vaxxers have grown a brain and a sense of pubic responsibility in the meantime, for all our sakes!!
    You are assuming that a vaccine will happen. It is possible that one will never be created.

Social distancing will create bigger problems than the virus eventually. The herd immunity tactic will likely take over at that point.

Agree with you that crowds are unlikely this year. Still think that they could get the comp going with no crowds.

I agree with your post but if the anti vaxxers don't want to take the vaccine this would not worry me at all. Let them play russian roulette with their lives.

Coronavirus goes through footy crowds like it does on cruise ships. I would be shocked if there are any crowds this year given the lead in times required for both a vaccine and a controlled herd immunity. The various treatments being floated currently are unlikely to be the silver bullet either.

Having said all that, I would love to see some footy, even with no crowds.

Heard Eddie say this morning an idea being thrown up is based on WA, SA & TAS coming out of the pandemic lockdown earlier than the eastern states. 6 teams are to be based in each of these states and play round robin fixture (players/staff living in local hotels without family, similar to cricket Ashes tours). Games then being played in eastern states as they gradually come out of lockdown. These games will still be locked out to the public.

Senior Player
    mmm, looks like the blowhard contingent in the AFL is trying to keep up with its contemporaries in the NRL in coming up with
    as many hair brain schemes as possible to get the season going again. I know their paycheck depends on it and they've spent
    as little time outside the AFL bubble as the players, but they are getting really silly now. Individual states in Australia supposedly
    coming out of their own limited definitions of "lockdown" isn't going to mean @@@@ while this thing rages around the rest of the country
    and the world killing people, causing mass unemployment and damaging the wider economy the way it's only just starting to.

Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    Heard Eddie say this morning an idea being thrown up is based on WA, SA & TAS coming out of the pandemic lockdown earlier than the eastern states. 6 teams are to be based in each of these states and play round robin fixture (players/staff living in local hotels without family, similar to cricket Ashes tours). Games then being played in eastern states as they gradually come out of lockdown. These games will still be locked out to the public.
    I'm a fan of a footy camp isolation comp. Why not? The players are just sitting around bored to death. Let those players who want to opt out, op out. Run a state league draft for backfills, and get on with it. It would guarantee the future of the league as well as bring joy to millions of people in a bad time. Everyone thinks the need to get the league going again is about execs paychecks. Actually it is more about maintaining a financially viable league that can continue to grow and develop grass roots.

Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    So for years Tasmania asked for a home grown side but they always said no sighting a figure of 45 million to run a club even though some clubs do not generate that much then when the faeces hits the fan they have this notion they’ll play games down there. And USE tassie again.

If I was Peter Gutwein I’d say put it in writing, I wouldn’t trust a thing the AFL say, that Tasmania is the next cab off the rank or you can go forth and multiply.

Great post Boddo. Most of the pollies take notice of scientific data only when it suits their agenda. They are the ultimate hypocrites.

As a nurse, I see this sort of BS everyday.....and hostpital managements are right up there with them, condescending to their every wish and backstabbing their own staff in the pursuit of ticking all the boxes that make their jobs safe. It's nauseating!
    It’s why so many walk away from the profession. They have so much regular training in regards to bullying but it would have to be up there as one of the biggest professions in regards to bullying there is. And it never changes.

As for the season going ahead I’ll bet anything it does. You can see and hear the attitudes shifting already.

Veterans List
    Eddie"s idea shot down shortly after he shot from the lip....WA shutdown to visitors for 6 months.

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Eddie"s idea shot down shortly after he shot from the lip....WA shutdown to visitors for 6 months.
    No1 that I’ve spoken to whether that be in health care, law enforcement, essential services, local government expect those strict conditions to last 6 months.

Every premier whether that be McGowan, Andrews or Gutwein have said UP to six months but for some strange reason a few are unable to hear the UP to part. And only hear 6 months.

So yes it’s definitely a possibility.

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)