Page 84 of 93 FirstFirst ... 3474808182838485868788 ... LastLast
Results 997 to 1,008 of 1108

Thread: Covid 19 and footy - season (suspended) now resumed

Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    Wowsers - suggestion Victorian teams will be based in Queensland for the rest of the home and away season. Fair enough, if true.

https://twitter.com/WhateleySEN/stat...866775553?s=19
    Surely they should all relocate to WA. Its the most isolated and virus-free state we have. Queensland will follow NSW who are about to follow Victoria into lockdown.

With the remaining 11 games of the season projected to be crammed into 9 weeks, JPK's injury will be for the season. Same for Ronke. It also seems an unnecessary risk for Buddy to play this year. I can't see what could be gained by that. With our long injury list and a short season, there should be many opportunities for our young players to get at least a few games under their belts. A number of players could alternate games, playing every 10 or 11 days.

Senior Player
    Be interesting to know whether the club has an overall strategy with regard to team selection for the rest of the season. Mathematically we could still make the finals, but it would seem unlikely considering the long injury list and the shorter season. It seems increasingly pointless to be striving for that as a goal. So, it would seem logical to get as much game time into the youngsters without destroying their souls by playing them all at once, with little support from the more experienced players on the list.

I'm still a bit perplexed as to why McInerney was dropped for the Richmond game; I thought he was showing great progress. I'd like to think it wasn't due to form. Unless the club is rotating players with little or no senior experience in 2-3 game blocks to give them a taste and see what they are capable of (e.g. Stoddart coming in). I'm ok with it if this is the intended strategy, and hopefully we get a chance to see how Ling, Wicks and Bell all perform in the coming weeks. However if they drop players that are having reasonably good games (McInerney's been omitted twice now?) I'm not sure what they will learn a lot from that as effort isn't being rewarded.

Although I didn't necessarily agree with Aliir going out last week (as good as replacement Fox was) it was good to hear an honest appraisal from the club as to why he was omitted. Hopefully this is a practice that continues.
    It's very hard to live in a studio apartment in San Jose with a man who's learning to play violin. That's what she told the police when she handed them the empty revolver.
    The Scarlatti Tilt - Richard Brautigan

Senior Player
    Looks like everyone is off to Queensland then?
    It's very hard to live in a studio apartment in San Jose with a man who's learning to play violin. That's what she told the police when she handed them the empty revolver.
    The Scarlatti Tilt - Richard Brautigan

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    With the remaining 11 games of the season projected to be crammed into 9 weeks, JPK's injury will be for the season. Same for Ronke. It also seems an unnecessary risk for Buddy to play this year. I can't see what could be gained by that. With our long injury list and a short season, there should be many opportunities for our young players to get at least a few games under their belts. A number of players could alternate games, playing every 10 or 11 days.
    John was asked this question earlier this week and was emphatic that Buddy would play if fit, whether or not we were in contention once he became available. Intimated that Lance would want to and that him playing the last game of last season assisted him to feel good over the off-season/pre-season training. Also intimated it was good for the younger players to train and play with him.

Sounds fair enough to me.

I can't see why they wouldn't play Buddy if he's fit. I'm sure, as you say, it would be a huge lift for the whole team and the forwards in particular.

Any AFL footballer wants to play as many games as he can. Buddy will want to play.
    And Buddy wont be in our next flag side, so no point preserving him. Get him out there to show the kids first hand how good, good can be.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    Betcha Eddie asks for COLA.
    That's brilliant!😂

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Any AFL footballer wants to play as many games as he can. Buddy will want to play.
    And Buddy wont be in our next flag side, so no point preserving him. Get him out there to show the kids first hand how good, good can be.
    I know Buddy will surely want to play, and there would be benefits to him playing. I have mixed feeling about it, but I'm looking at the side of the ledger that has Buddy playing round 1 next year in absolute tip tops shape. For me, that tips the scale toward being extra cautious about playing him this year.

Senior Player
    I know Buddy will surely want to play, and there would be benefits to him playing. I have mixed feeling about it, but I'm looking at the side of the ledger that has Buddy playing round 1 next year in absolute tip tops shape. For me, that tips the scale toward being extra cautious about playing him this year.
    Buddy finished last year fit and his two injuries since have been suffered while training (if you count taking off a boot as 'training'). He'd want to play and I think it'd be good for him to play - otherwise it'd be 18 months without a game.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    Buddy finished last year fit and his two injuries since have been suffered while training (if you count taking off a boot as 'training'). He'd want to play and I think it'd be good for him to play - otherwise it'd be 18 months without a game.
    I can't believe the club has not hired a dresser for Buddy. He is footy royalty after all. If they had treated him with the respect he
    deserves surely this injury would never have occurred.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Surely they should all relocate to WA. Its the most isolated and virus-free state we have. Queensland will follow NSW who are about to follow Victoria into lockdown.
    Does WA have another ground apart from Optus Stadium? I don't think Subiaco is still available.