Page 1 of 93 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid 19 and footy - season (suspended) now resumed

Veterans List

Covid 19 and footy - season to proceed (for now) but with no crowds

Coronavirus, it's already being flagged as a factor this year with games played in empty stadiums. Players get up very close and personal and there's plenty of fine spittle sprayed around in stoppages. What would happen to the comp if a player returns a positive test?

Is that players team quarantined? Is the team he just played against also quarantined? Do quarantined teams share the four points?

What about if the season becomes unworkable? Will there be dunny rolls in the toilets at the footy? Will wearing face masks be compulsary at the footy on and off the ground?

Great expectations, a lot to still unfold

If a player tests positive, then I would imagine the whole club and any opposition they have played whilst contagious would be quarantined. It is clear Covid 19 still has a long way to go. The main risk factor here in Australia is overseas travel so if I was the team doctor for an AFL club (my dream job, unfortunately I'm just a boring anaesthetist!), I would be instructing the players to stay away from anyone who has come from overseas. Especially so from the USA, where there are a ton of undiagnosed cases and Europe (including the UK). The likelihood of catching it randomly in the community at this stage is very low. My understanding is that every case bar one, can be traced to either being overseas or prolonged close contact with an infected individuals who has come from overseas.

- - - Updated - - -

Happy to leave the coronavirus talk to the above post. I don't think there is too much else to say and I much prefer to talk about our boys and their upcoming season!

Warming the Bench

Covid 19 and footy - season suspended

It is only a matter of time until this AFL season is cancelled. This pre-season thread could become superfluous, or it could turn into an extremely long pre-season!

I just see that the NBA has cancelled its season... a Juventus player (who represents Italy) also has the virus.....

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Syd76 View Post
    It is only a matter of time until this AFL season is cancelled. This pre-season thread could become superfluous, or it could turn into an extremely long pre-season!

I just see that the NBA has cancelled its season... a Juventus player (who represents Italy) also has the virus.....
    The season will certainly be seriously affected. As in the NBA, it only took one player to test positive. It may be, but the NBA season has been suspended till further notice, not cancelled yet.

Several clubs are restricting their players interacting with the public & media.

Some clubs have restricted players taking selfies, cancelled open sessions, stopping players interacting with members/fans at functions. Rightfully asking function guests not to attend if they are at all symptomatic. Players leaving functions early and media events held out in the open. Just to name a few.

Have the Swans started this yet? Are there open training sessions? Can players be approached? After all, they wouldn’t have a clue if a supporter was symptomatic or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    The season will certainly be seriously affected. As in the NBA, it only took one player to test positive. It may be, but the NBA season has been suspended till further notice, not cancelled yet.
    Yes, even though I only have the vaguest idea what I'm talking about, it does seem like an overreaction to suspend the season. To me, one positive test, doesn't significantly enhance the competition wide risk factor (even if he did jokingly touch all the microphones). Hopefully, it will be back on in a few days.

Quote Originally Posted by Syd76 View Post

By the time the competition resumes in 2023 our list should be just peaking!
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Dawg View Post
    If a player tests positive, then I would imagine the whole club and any opposition they have played whilst contagious would be quarantined. It is clear Covid 19 still has a long way to go. The main risk factor here in Australia is overseas travel so if I was the team doctor for an AFL club (my dream job, unfortunately I'm just a boring anaesthetist!), I would be instructing the players to stay away from anyone who has come from overseas. Especially so from the USA, where there are a ton of undiagnosed cases and Europe (including the UK). The likelihood of catching it randomly in the community at this stage is very low. My understanding is that every case bar one, can be traced to either being overseas or prolonged close contact with an infected individuals who has come from overseas.

- - - Updated - - -

Happy to leave the coronavirus talk to the above post. I don't think there is too much else to say and I much prefer to talk about our boys and their upcoming season!
    https://www.watoday.com.au/sport/afl...11-p5495t.html

“If even one AFL player, coach or club official were to contract the coronavirus a decision on whether a match went ahead could be taken out of AFL hands.

Federal or state governments have the authority to make decisions on whether games go ahead, not the clubs or league, if someone at a club tested positive to the virus.”

With the NBA suspending their season, a similar move suspending the AFL season is looking likely. I'm making alternate plans for the next year.

Quote Originally Posted by 09183305 View Post
    Several clubs are restricting their players interacting with the public & media.

Some clubs have restricted players taking selfies, cancelled open sessions, stopping players interacting with members/fans at functions. Rightfully asking function guests not to attend if they are at all symptomatic. Players leaving functions early and media events held out in the open. Just to name a few.

Have the Swans started this yet? Are there open training sessions? Can players be approached? After all, they wouldn’t have a clue if a supporter was symptomatic or not.
    Swans have cancelled their Adelaide pre-match function

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    By the time the competition resumes in 2023 our list should be just peaking!
    We should start a new thread: "Best 22 for 2022"

If the season is called off, do we get pick 4 in this year's draft?

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    With the NBA suspending their season, a similar move suspending the AFL season is looking likely. I'm making alternate plans for the next year.

Bear hunting?

Page 1 of 93 123451151 ... LastLast