Page 64 of 93 FirstFirst ... 145460616263646566676874 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid 19 and footy - season (suspended) now resumed

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by snajik View Post
    I guess I've drifted away from watching movies and drama series in recent years. The former I often find formulaic, the latter demand a commitment to see it through 'til the end. (Though I am fully engaged with Last Man On Earth atm. A comedy about the world's population being wiped out by a virus which I started watching before C-19 came along). Reality TV, apart from being a misnomer is mostly hideous. Which leaves me with documentaries which I really enjoy but its rare that you'll find anything of this nature on Foxtel. I tend to gravitate to sbs on demand, viceland and iview. Foxtel has held me hostage for years due to having the most comprehensive and ad-free coverage of footy. I could probably live without the rest of it.

KT - Foxtel does have a block option so you can set your viewing options accordingly to ensure that Fox news never crosses your screen again. Sadly, this is the primary news source for Americans (either Americans generally, or American cable subscribers - can't remember which). What hope have they got?

I've currently dumped the fox sports package during the no live sport era. I suspect I'll eventually come moseying back, tail between legs.
    I just wish someone else owned the footy & golf cable rights that wasn't called Murdoch. We have SBS On Demand, ABC iView, Netflix and
    MUBI (mostly foreign language films) so plenty to choose from in the Covid era. But now that sport is starting back up again the idea of
    not being able to watch a game whenever I feel like it, or not being able to watch The Masters or British Open is going to test me.
    Anyway, I'm going to have to dig deep and maintain the rage against the evil empire. Mrs Tigers actually suggested if I start donating to
    an extreme left political organisation that may offset the damage caused by helping support the Murdochs. I think she was joking, but I
    can't be sure.

Senior Player
    I noticed a lot of Foxtel staff lost their jobs during COVID along with the dumping of regional newspapers and their staff while all the Sky News crackpots retained their positions. There was an obvious cost saving there I would have thought. Multiple mean-spirited clones all trotting out the same offensive guff. Surely they only need one.
    yeah it sure irks me that I contribute in any way to the Murdoch empire. It's hard to be squeaky clean 100% of the time.
    It's very hard to live in a studio apartment in San Jose with a man who's learning to play violin. That's what she told the police when she handed them the empty revolver.
    The Scarlatti Tilt - Richard Brautigan

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by snajik View Post
    I noticed a lot of Foxtel staff lost their jobs during COVID along with the dumping of regional newspapers and their staff while all the Sky News crackpots retained their positions. There was an obvious cost saving there I would have thought. Multiple mean-spirited clones all trotting out the same offensive guff. Surely they only need one.
    yeah it sure irks me that I contribute in any way to the Murdoch empire. It's hard to be squeaky clean 100% of the time.
    It is hard to see Foxtel lasting. They lost about $400M last year. Combine that with the Daily Telegraph & The Australian losing money hand
    over fist and pretty much all the regional papers being cut, and you wonder what is going well for the evil empire here. They've missed the
    boat that James Packer got on years ago by selling his media businesses to CVC (a private equity mob) for billions before old school
    media went pear shaped. It's just impossible to see the ever increasing flow of broadcasting money propping up the AFL going forward.
    Covid just accelerated the decline in old school media, and unless new deep pocketed broadcasters or streaming companies suddenly
    get interested in footy and think they make some money from it, then revenue coming into the game will stagnate or even fall.
    Down the track I see us paying for a subscription to Swans TV to watch the games and paying a lot more for our seats at the games,
    which are very cheap compared to other codes overseas, and other forms of live entertainment locally.

Veterans List
    Couldn't do without the footy live every game and no ads during the quarters. When I am out and having to watch a game on FTA the ads after goals drive me insane!

How any footy lover thinks that Fox isn't worth it is beyond my comprehension. It's way less $ than my cup of coffee at the roasters every day.

Veterans List
    In Melbourne we don't get all swans games on Channel 7 so I need foxtel.

I think it's unfair that more games aren't on Channel 7 seeing as crowds can't attend.

Senior Player
    I don't think we are questioning the merit of having fox footy or its quality, or quibbling about the cost, more about who financially benefits from our subscriptions. That's why I've kept foxtel this long, i can't tolerate the ads.
    Missing out on seeing the Swans play on any and every weekend wouldn't be an option, and I understand that the FTA options differ in Sydney and Melbourne.
    It's very hard to live in a studio apartment in San Jose with a man who's learning to play violin. That's what she told the police when she handed them the empty revolver.
    The Scarlatti Tilt - Richard Brautigan

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    Folks, so I have a question. I am thinking of ditching Foxtel after having it since when it started. The thought of continuing to hand over
    money to the Murdochs has become too much for me. Can someone tell me besides free to air TV and the pub is there somewhere else that
    screens the games. Happy to pay, just not to that evil empire.
    You could pay the AFL to watch the games live through their app? I have it for non-Swans games (which are FTA in Canberra).

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    You could pay the AFL to watch the games live through their app? I have it for non-Swans games (which are FTA in Canberra).
    Thanks man. I think I'll do that.

Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    Thanks man. I think I'll do that.
    Or be a Telstra customer, then it’s free.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Hi MCS. Listen, I don't like this "go to view" rubbish. 6 months ago I had never heard of V'landys. But you've got to admire what he has done to get NRL back. If he implodes from here on, he's still done an amazing job. And it's has killed any AFL discussion in the Sydney media. As you know, my 'go to view' is I care for NSW, and the game in NSW, and right now he is a massive threat to that.
    Victoria can afford to be dismissive.
    My point was you get on your hobby horse about whatever the flavour of the month is, and almost every post is a re-run of it. We had years of it with your 'grand old lady' or whatever the reference was, now its bootlicking of V'landys at every turn. And no one it seems is allowed to hold a contrary opinion.

I've known plenty about how V'landys operates for the good part of a decade through work, and in my opinion its all a charade - it will end in tears with the NRL when he pushes the barrel too far, as he always does. But that is solely my opinion also.
    Last edited by mcs; 6th June 2020 at 03:02 PM.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    My point was you get on your hobby horse about whatever the flavour of the month is, and almost every post is a re-run of it. We had years of it with your 'grand old lady' or whatever the reference was, now its bootlicking of V'landys at every turn. And no one it seems is allowed to hold a contrary opinion.
    Your hobby horse is to attack other people. Which is worse?

Having an opinion without my facts or arguments to back it up other than the "vibe" is a waste of everyone's time. Be specific about why you hate V'landys?

Veterans List
    The AFL has done a deal with the MCC for the teams that play a home game this year on the MCG to receive match payments even though there is no crowd. This is a nice bonus for those teams. A deal with the Marvel Stadium tenants is next on the list. What about the interstate teams? I've heard no mention of a deal with the SCG.