Page 69 of 93 FirstFirst ... 195965666768697071727379 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid 19 and footy - season (suspended) now resumed

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    It's only meant to be for this season. There has been a lot of negativity about it so I can't see the AFL keeping it. Although during lockdown I recall Eddie McGuire saying there was support for the shortened quarters because people don't have the attention span to last 3 hours watching a match. What a load of rubbish!
    I just saw a flash on the internet that we will play WC in Queensland next weekend, due to not being able to go to Vic cos of Covend. That will throw a bit of forward planning out for both teams.
    I think McGuire lays awake every night thinking what outrageous statement he can make the next day, to ensure his name on the front page. The man is renowned for ridiculous comments. He is nothing short of a shill, but he has the Vic press eating out of his hand. He will always give them a headline. His ego is unsurpassed.
    And he hates us. And that's reciprocated.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Magoo View Post
    Other than the topsy turvy results , the footy is terrible. All of the things that people have disliked about the game in recent years melded into one perfrect storm with the limited preparations and shorter quarters. Low scoring, congested play is pretty much the order of the day and with the shorter quarters even the younger teams are running out the quarters so very few blowouts. Now we are seeing injuries as players go down with the limited prep behind them.

One solution thrown forward this morning was that two players from each team should have to stay in each fifty. At least then you only have 14 players running up and down the field. Not sure if this would help but there are some pretty ordinary games out there at the moment albeit I must concede they are pretty exciting as the low scoring means most games go down to the wire.
    Completely agree about the quality of footy. I feel it is very poor so far, of course as a result of a myriad of factors, but short quarters are certainly one thing adding to it for mine.

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/....html#comments

This is an interesting read too.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    Completely agree about the quality of footy. I feel it is very poor so far, of course as a result of a myriad of factors, but short quarters are certainly one thing adding to it for mine.

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/....html#comments

This is an interesting read too.
    I thought Caroline Wilson's response in The Age Real Footy pod to the Niall's integrity thesis was on point.

Essentially:
    - every team playing the other once
    - all teams have to deal with Covid related inconvenience and the most resilient will prevail.

I'll add to the second point that most teams seem to have experienced some inconvenience and it's pretty hard to attribute greater inconvenience to some over others. The WA teams hubbing in Queensland is arguably offset by the Victorian teams hubbing in WA soon and playing in front of packed stadiums.

The only teams who've so far escaped inconvenience is the Queensland teams, but that could be short lived given the new quarantine restrictions imposed by its government in relation to games against Vic teams.

Veterans List
    Due to the rise in Victorian positive cases, Richmond can no longer play West coast in QLD. So the Swans will now play West coast at Metricon Stadium on Saturday afternoon. Melbourne will now be playing Richmond on Sunday.

The shortened quarters has allowed the Carlton v Saints game to be moved to Thursday night.

The QLD restrictions is causing problems for the next few rounds. Gold coast is playing Geelong this week so looks like they will then have to stay in Sydney for 2 weeks and play us and GWS. Not sure what Brisbane is going to do.

Veterans List
    Still a lot of Vicentric bias in the decision making, although the costs of hubbing teams would be quite significant.

Can play in front of ever increasing crowds in WA, SA, Qld & NSW but 10 teams still anchored and playing in no crowd Victoria.

Reckon Vic will get worse before it gets better and who knows if they'll get on top of it by finals time, then what?

We are 3 months into this crisis and no Victorian team has been inconvenienced yet. 4/8 non Vic's have.

The AFL have two choices.
    1) they think the Vic outbreak will be contained and no chance of players getting infected.
    In this scenario, Vic teams go on a 8 round tour, starting in NSW (no quarantine), then qld, SA, wa, then home.
    Probably some way to stagger this so only 4 or so teams on tour at any one time.

Or
    2) Vic is out of hand and to risky to keep players there, and they want to play in front of crowds. Move all Vic teams out and distribute across all states.

2) is the better option for fans, but Eddie won't allow it.

Veterans List
    Just announced that SA won't be opening their border with Victoria.

So that means hubs for ALL Victorian teams for the foreseeable future. AFL was happy to push SA & WA teams into a hub, let's see if now the boot is on the other foot whether they treat it like a national comp and just say to the Vic teams, you're hubbing. Will the threats from some Vic based players to not go hubbing actually happen? Will Dangerfield, Cotchin, Pendlebury etc really stay home??

Delicious test of the AFL & Vic clubs, we wait and see if the AFL panders to them!

WA still very hard border, SA looks to be ok with free flow with WA, Qld & shortly NSW.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Just announced that SA won't be opening their border with Victoria.

So that means hubs for ALL Victorian teams for the foreseeable future. AFL was happy to push SA & WA teams into a hub, let's see if now the boot is on the other foot whether they treat it like a national comp and just say to the Vic teams, you're hubbing. Will the threats from some Vic based players to not go hubbing actually happen? Will Dangerfield, Cotchin, Pendlebury etc really stay home??

Delicious test of the AFL & Vic clubs, we wait and see if the AFL panders to them!

WA still very hard border, SA looks to be ok with free flow with WA, Qld & shortly NSW.
    Victorian buddy system to be severely tested.

Veterans List
    I don't believe there is any conspiracy here. As far as I can see the AFL is doing their best to keep the comp going. It looks to me at this stage that Vic sides will be the first to play in a WA hub. This week's game for us is a home game for WCE which tells me we are not going to WA, plus we have already played an Adelaide home game. So not part of a hub in WA or SA so the pressure comes on the Vic clubs. Might just turn out as a very good draw for us.

Regular in the Side
    Or a very bad draw for us considering our recent form at the SCG.

Quote Originally Posted by rb4x View Post
    Or a very bad draw for us considering our recent form at the SCG.
    Maybe we can ask to play home games at Spotless or ANZ?

Why do we find it so hard to win at the SCG?