Page 21 of 93 FirstFirst ... 111718192021222324253171 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid 19 and footy - season (suspended) now resumed

As the science becomes more clear, it seems to me that this season is over and the 2021 season is also in jeopardy. I don't think that social distancing can be relaxed until a vaccine is widely available, which is likely to be at least a year away.

I don't think anyone can accurately predict what AFL will be like when it does come back.

Personal Note - Update: My brother in law has come off the respirator, but will remain in hospital until he can maintain a sufficient oxygen saturation level on his own. I hear that relapse is a real concern for those with more severe symptoms.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Personal Note - Update: My brother in law has come off the respirator, but will remain in hospital until he can maintain a sufficient oxygen saturation level on his own. I hear that relapse is a real concern for those with more severe symptoms.
    Good to hear. Wishing him the best for a complete recovery and best wishes to you and the rest of your family also. Thanks for sharing.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Won't clubs with pokies and social clubs suffer the most, since the social clubs will be closed, but much of the overheads will remain.
    It's an interesting question. I'm a member in a local RSL club and they are now closed for the duration. They can arrange takeaway food and drinks but that's it. I assume they'll cut all possible overheads. The pokies sit vacant in their room, so that source of income has gone.

I think they are down to bare minimum and most of their staff will have been put off until further notice. It's hard to know what they might do when we are much further along in the waiting game, we can only wait and see. I imagine the same scene is playing out at Hawthorn, but I assume that when the restrictions are lifted it will be business as usual. I guess the question then is who has money to feed the poker machines. From the noise he made recently I think President Jeff will be in there swinging: he has said publicly that the pokies are staying. Time will tell.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

This article from the ABC shows why isolation is here to stay for some time to come:

Coronavirus data shows our isolation regime is a marathon, not a sprint - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

This article from the ABC shows why isolation is here to stay for some time to come:

Coronavirus data shows our isolation regime is a marathon, not a sprint - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)
    Only a few weeks ago modelling told us NSW would have over a million cases. I’m getting very sceptical in regards to some of these predictions.

I’ll take it as a week by week proposition.

I’ll bet anything it’s less than six months. Politics plays a massive part in all this. Politics 101 give the worst case scenario so that when it doesn’t get to that we all think they’ve done the best job anyone on the planet could do.

I think there will be an AFL season.

Also I hope your holding up well in regards to your brother in law and I hope your brother in law recovers. All the best m8 to you n your family👍

Thanks for your best wishes, Boddo. I don't want to bug my sister during this stressful time for her. She updates me every couple of days. it's looking quite positive atm.

I expect we will get this current wave of virus under control, both in Australia and Thailand. There will be pressure to return things to normal asap, but the virus is not going away and will be ready to strike again once our guard is down. There are going to be many hard calls to make. The world could get lucky and find a viral suppressant before a vaccine is available.

I have a friend who is an epidemiologist. She's never worked at the job and is a now a member of the Tassie Parliament. I didn't see why you needed a Phd to become one, but now I understand. Gut feelings aren't a substitute for good science.

I miss the footy a lot. I want so much for things to be back to normal. But I see that we have a mutual responsibility to do what we have to do to beat the virus and whatever sacrifices we make is minimal compared to the health workers risking their lives every day to help the rest of us.

Covid 19 and footy - season suspended

I miss the footy a lot. I want so much for things to be back to normal. But I see that we have a mutual responsibility to do what we have to do to beat the virus and whatever sacrifices we make is minimal compared to the health workers risking their lives every day to help the rest of us.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    I'm not sure that I like this idea:

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/nrl/...04-p54h2f.html

I can't see the AFL being swallowed by wealthier Americans, but when it comes to, say, Rugby Union, Rugby League and Soccer, I wouldn't be surprised.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Thanks for your best wishes, Boddo. I don't want to bug my sister during this stressful time for her. She updates me every couple of days. it's looking quite positive atm.

I expect we will get this current wave of virus under control, both in Australia and Thailand. There will be pressure to return things to normal asap, but the virus is not going away and will be ready to strike again once our guard is down. There are going to be many hard calls to make. The world could get lucky and find a viral suppressant before a vaccine is available.

I have a friend who is an epidemiologist. She's never worked at the job and is a now a member of the Tassie Parliament. I didn't see why you needed a Phd to become one, but now I understand. Gut feelings aren't a substitute for good science.

Apart from the first 2/3 of my career being in combat sport I’m also a former health care worker who was also an infection control rep and have been put onto the pandemic register. I left the industry due to constant budget cuts and retired early in life. Go look at the funding model changes in aged care over the years. And they wonder why they eventually had to have a look at this just recently.

And no offence From my previous experience in the health care industry most have no respect for politicians due to the fact that the majority of the time they use situations like this to further their career. I’m not saying your friend is like this. Not for one minute.

Lastly I keep hearing the new buzzword for politicians is “data”. Where was this when every bit of “data” said we would have climate change issues which meant longer dryer summers. Where was this when hospitals are at breaking point every flu season, where was this when nurses asked for a small pay rise.

Like I’ve said none of this is directed at your friend, not one ounce. But I hold these people in little regard.

As for footy. I’m neither here nor there if it goes ahead but politicians will use this as a tool to say “hey look we’re getting back to normal, go cheer on the sharkies”.

Quote Originally Posted by Boddo View Post
    Only a few weeks ago modelling told us NSW would have over a million cases. I’m getting very sceptical in regards to some of these predictions.

I’ll take it as a week by week proposition.

I’ll bet anything it’s less than six months. Politics plays a massive part in all this. Politics 101 give the worst case scenario so that when it doesn’t get to that we all think they’ve done the best job anyone on the planet could do.

I think there will be an AFL season.

Also I hope your holding up well in regards to your brother in law and I hope your brother in law recovers. All the best m8 to you n your family👍
    I agree, I think we will get a season.

At the moment new infections are way down. Another month of social distancing and closed borders will pretty much clear it up.

We may not go back to normal then for several months but definitely more things should be re-starting. No reason why AFL couldn't be one of those if they used charter flights etc.

Senior Player
    Noting the downwards trend in new cases and positive test rates, I'm cautiously optimistic we'll get at least crowd-less footy back by late winter.

It's hard to imagine it being safe enough for crowds this year, but it's really too early to say.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Boddo View Post
    Apart from the first 2/3 of my career being in combat sport I’m also a former health care worker who was also an infection control rep and have been put onto the pandemic register. I left the industry due to constant budget cuts and retired early in life. Go look at the funding model changes in aged care over the years. And they wonder why they eventually had to have a look at this just recently.

And no offence From my previous experience in the health care industry most have no respect for politicians due to the fact that the majority of the time they use situations like this to further their career. I’m not saying your friend is like this. Not for one minute.

Lastly I keep hearing the new buzzword for politicians is “data”. Where was this when every bit of “data” said we would have climate change issues which meant longer dryer summers. Where was this when hospitals are at breaking point every flu season, where was this when nurses asked for a small pay rise.

Like I’ve said none of this is directed at your friend, not one ounce. But I hold these people in little regard.

As for footy. I’m neither here nor there if it goes ahead but politicians will use this as a tool to say “hey look we’re getting back to normal, go cheer on the sharkies”.
    Great post Boddo. Most of the pollies take notice of scientific data only when it suits their agenda. They are the ultimate hypocrites.

As a nurse, I see this sort of BS everyday.....and hostpital managements are right up there with them, condescending to their every wish and backstabbing their own staff in the pursuit of ticking all the boxes that make their jobs safe. It's nauseating!