Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 121819202122

Thread: Covid 19 and footy - season suspended

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    I agree, I think we will get a season.

At the moment new infections are way down. Another month of social distancing and closed borders will pretty much clear it up.

We may not go back to normal then for several months but definitely more things should be re-starting. No reason why AFL couldn't be one of those if they used charter flights etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    Noting the downwards trend in new cases and positive test rates, I'm cautiously optimistic we'll get at least crowd-less footy back by late winter.

It's hard to imagine it being safe enough for crowds this year, but it's really too early to say.
    Crowdless footy may well return (let's hope so!) but crowds will not. Social distancing will/should remain until there is a vaccine for Covid19. Getting to the point of no new cases doesn't mean the virus is gone, it just means social distancing is working. To relax or remove these restrictions will see the return of new cases of Covid19. The availability of a vaccine followed by an extensive public vaccination programme* is the time when social distancing measures will be relaxed and crowds returning to the footy reconsidered but this may still be a long way off.....

*Let's hope the anti vaxxers have grown a brain and a sense of pubic responsibility in the meantime, for all our sakes!!

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Crowdless footy may well return (let's hope so!) but crowds will not. Social distancing will/should remain until there is a vaccine for Covid19. Getting to the point of no new cases doesn't mean the virus is gone, it just means social distancing is working. To relax or remove these restrictions will see the return of new cases of Covid19. The availability of a vaccine followed by an extensive public vaccination programme* is the time when social distancing measures will be relaxed and crowds returning to the footy reconsidered but this may still be a long way off.....

*Let's hope the anti vaxxers have grown a brain and a sense of pubic responsibility in the meantime, for all our sakes!!
    You are assuming that a vaccine will happen. It is possible that one will never be created.

Social distancing will create bigger problems than the virus eventually. The herd immunity tactic will likely take over at that point.

Agree with you that crowds are unlikely this year. Still think that they could get the comp going with no crowds.

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post

I agree with your post but if the anti vaxxers don't want to take the vaccine this would not worry me at all. Let them play russian roulette with their lives.

Coronavirus goes through footy crowds like it does on cruise ships. I would be shocked if there are any crowds this year given the lead in times required for both a vaccine and a controlled herd immunity. The various treatments being floated currently are unlikely to be the silver bullet either.

Having said all that, I would love to see some footy, even with no crowds.

Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 121819202122