Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Round 1 vs Adelaide Cows

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    Thanks Liz
    My suggestion was they had a few easy ones they missed and ours were a bit tougher
    I'll have to go back and watch the game again (something I have plenty of opportunity to do for the next two months, at least).

But off the top of my head, one of our misses was Heeney - a set shot many degrees easier than some of those he kicked. And at least one of the Crows' misses was that very long range shot from Walker at the death, something only a handful of players in the comp would even attempt, and most of those wouldn't have a high conversion rate from there.

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    WHOOO HOOOOOO
    We finished in the 8.
    All you horse bashers... got anything to say?

As to the game, these kids have got to learn to play four full quarters. We were very lucky that tex walker is @@@@ at kicking goals these days.
    Typical Tex walker to attempt a shot from 60m rather than look for a pass, so he can cover himself with glory.

Was a great game, and makes the future look bright.
    Shut up a few Naismith doubters too. If he played last year we'd be back in the 8.

On the Rookie List
    Only just managed to catch the game after a very busy few days.

As expected, some good take aways, some not so. This will be the new normal for the next few years as we navigate the unpredictable waters of a rebuild.

- Sam 'Crayfish' Naismith was ELECTRIC. That was a dominant tap performance that would've featured heavily in the footy shows this week were there not much bigger issues at play. So glad for him.

- His tap work appeared to reenergise Kennedy and Parker, who looked not unlike their 2016 selves. 25 and 30 possession games in a shortened format is akin to 30 and 35 in a regular match. Dominance. They were immovable forces all match.

- The new faces in our midfield Florent and Rowbottom really impressed with some exceptional clearance work. Florent especially was on fire in the second quarter. Quite encouraging signs for the future, with Hewett also still to return.

- The mosquito fleet inside 50 lived up to their billing. Papley, Gray and Ronke were frenetic. So pleasing to see our forwards making the opposition defenders sweat, and not the other way round for once.

- I was encouraged by the endeavour to play a faster, more direct style of footy. It didn't always come off, and there are a number of reasons why, but for most of the day we did look too quick and too clean for the Crows.

Veterans List
    Yes, there were lots of positives in the win over the Crows as aptly highlighted in the article below:

Positives in Round 1 performance

Coaches' votes are in:

10 Isaac Heeney (SYD)
    7 Luke Parker (SYD)
    5 Josh Kennedy (SYD)
    3 Oliver Florent (SYD)
    2 Dane Rampe (SYD)
    2 Rory Laird (ADEL)
    1 Wayne Milera (ADEL)

Incidentally, I note that both Zak Jones and Hanners polled votes for the Saints in their match, despite losing. Zak polled the most of any Saint (6) and equal second best afield.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/390188/a...-on-perfect-10
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Coaches' votes are in:

10 Isaac Heeney (SYD)
    7 Luke Parker (SYD)
    5 Josh Kennedy (SYD)
    3 Oliver Florent (SYD)
    2 Dane Rampe (SYD)
    2 Rory Laird (ADEL)
    1 Wayne Milera (ADEL)

Incidentally, I note that both Zak Jones and Hanners polled votes for the Saints in their match, despite losing. Zak polled the most of any Saint (6) and equal second best afield.

AFLCA votes, R1: Dominant Pie misses out on perfect 10
    Yes, although with Jones, on the stats alone, the known issues present:
    - 59% disposal efficiency
    - 4 turnovers
    - 0.3 kicking for goal.

Based only on having watched the game the once, I'm a little surprised Rampe polled votes. I didn't really notice him. Can anyone else comment? What did he do well? How well did he do it? It's easier to appreciate some players' contributions when you are there live, in person. I think defenders in general can easily fall into this category, and even then you still need to be paying attention.

On the Rookie List
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Based only on having watched the game the once, I'm a little surprised Rampe polled votes. I didn't really notice him. Can anyone else comment? What did he do well? How well did he do it? It's easier to appreciate some players' contributions when you are there live, in person. I think defenders in general can easily fall into this category, and even then you still need to be paying attention.
    Rampe was neither here nor there. More of the 1v1 defending was left to Aliir & Brand, so had 10 possessions in a more attacking role. I am assuming there might’ve been more appreciation for his leadership in a young defensive group under strange circumstances. But it’s not good enough, yet another example of our club just phoning in these media duties. Only one vote less than Florent who ignited the victory for us. Sammy Naismith, along with Heeney, was the difference between the two teams. More than Florent, more than Parker, more than Kennedy, certainly more than Rampe, but doesn’t earn a single vote? It’s rubbish.

Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    Yes, although with Jones, on the stats alone, the known issues present:
    - 59% disposal efficiency
    - 4 turnovers
    - 0.3 kicking for goal.
    Yes, I watched a bit of that game, and while both he and Hanners got plenty of it, I wouldn't say that many of their possessions were clearly beneficial to the Saints. Certainly not enough to make me feel regretful that we let them go. Hanners looked fit, though.

Veterans List
    How frustrated would Naismith be right about now?! Fully recovered, champing at the bit, played a great first game back and now......nothing.

I suppose his knee will be absolutely 100% cherry ripe once things are back to normal.....whatever the new normal will be.

Finally got to sit down watch, although my attention wasn’t 100% being I knew the result and that footy is on hiatus.

As an admitted doubter of Naismith , I have to admit his presence and tap work made a massive difference to our side. If it wasn’t directly to advantage ( their was some lovely ones directly to florent , Parker and Rowbottom ) it was to a position where they or other mids could get their first. Opposed to decent ruckman too. Very promising.

Loved Florents game, winning some great clearances at pace, something our midfield has lacked for a while. Shame we don’t get to see how his season would’ve progressed. At least for a while anyway.

Dawson wasn’t dominant but that left boot is still elite , one of the commentary team ( King maybe ) suggested he is the best kick in the comp . Wouldn’t be far off I don’t think, the dilemma of where to play him is still a question though.

Parker was fantastic . Joey very good.

I thought Brand was pretty solid too.

Rowbottom did some really goood things, just needs to stay in the game for longer , still drifts in and out a bit.

Few that were sub par , Blakey , Lloyd , and Allir in particular weren’t great.

Oh and obviously Heeney was sublime, his skill set is far more valuable in the forward half I think, maybe some stints in the middle but I don’t think he’s an out and out midfielder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    How frustrated would Naismith be right about now?! Fully recovered, champing at the bit, played a great first game back and now......nothing.

I suppose his knee will be absolutely 100% cherry ripe once things are back to normal.....whatever the new normal will be.
    Interestingly, in an ideal world, ACLs would probably benefit from 2 years of rehab to be cherry ripe. The graft is about 70-90% of its full strength by 12 months. Good enough to play on, but if given a full 2 years of proper rehab, it should be at its best. This isn’t realistic for most people (let alone elite athletes) as its simply too long off the game or out of a normal life, but that’s the optimal biological healing. Sam may, in fact, benefit from this extended lay off.