Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Round 1 vs Adelaide Cows

Hewitts son just came home after 63 days in ICU. Reckon they will be doing everything they can to avoid Corona.

Suspended by the MRP
    Quite a few can consider themselves lucky to be in the 22 for this match, with Ronke, McInerney, O'Riordan and Hayward heading the list. But then the same could be said if it were Gould, Stephens, Clarke, Sinclair or Fox. This is the reality of having such ordinary depth. We have a good best 16/17, but it's a very steep drop off after that. Everything crossed some of those players prove me wrong. I won't be holding my breath. Crows by 33.

Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    Hewitts son just came home after 63 days in ICU. Reckon they will be doing everything they can to avoid Corona.
    Yep, I didn't know about his personal situation, his omission now makes sense.

I still think Ronke's inclusion is odd, given his ordinary form and the plethora of small forwards already in the selected team.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by ernie koala View Post
    I still think Ronke's inclusion is odd, given his ordinary form and the plethora of small forwards already in the selected team.
    Yeah I think Sinclair for Ronke would make sense

Sent from my vivo 1902 using Tapatalk

Veterans List
    Match rescheduled......now starting at 5:05pm.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    Crows by 33.
    Wow.......Swans by ten.

Fascinating selection. No Franklin, no Reid, no Sinclair AND McCartin named in defence! I guess McCartin can always be swung forward if we desire. No Hewett! (I assume this must be due to the situation with his infant child. But then why is he named as an emergency? Is he the non-travelling emergency? Why would they send him to Adelaide if he's not going to play?) Papley, Taylor, Gray AND Ronke! This must be because Hewett isn't playing and they will combine to cover his spot in the midfield. No Stephens, which I find slightly surprising. I would have picked him ahead of Ronke based on the little I have seen of Ronke in recent times. No Gould. I think this is a team selected with victory in mind, favouring experience over potential. Nobody could have picked this 22.

I'm delighted for McInerney and didn't see that coming. Will watch his performance keenly. Great to see young and exciting talent getting a run. I'm also really pleased for COR. Bit of a worry for Bell that he isn't getting a look in despite the outs.

I don't agree the selection reflects a lack of depth in our list. We've got Franklin, Reid and Hewett to return plus Stephens and Gould (and maybe even Ling and Warner) with hopes of debuts this year. Stoddart is also decent depth although his non-selection is a little less alarming than Bell's because it is explained by the relatively settled back 6/7. Rather the selection shows that we are a young and relatively inexperienced squad, reduced a little by injury. So the players on the fringes are mostly young talents rather than steady journeymen (like, say, Fox or even Clarke).

The whole footy going ahead thing is pretty surprising but very welcome. I couldn't generate any enthusiasm for last night's match but I'm sure it will be better with the Swans playing.

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Match rescheduled......now starting at 5:05pm.
    Thanks for the update, stevo.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    Quite a few can consider themselves lucky to be in the 22 for this match, with Ronke, McInerney, O'Riordan and Hayward heading the list. But then the same could be said if it were Gould, Stephens, Clarke, Sinclair or Fox. This is the reality of having such ordinary depth. We have a good best 16/17, but it's a very steep drop off after that. Everything crossed some of those players prove me wrong. I won't be holding my breath. Crows by 33.
    I wouldn't put O'Riordan among the lucky ones. I think he is one of our best field kicks and seems to be improving steadily.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    I wouldn't put O'Riordan among the lucky ones. I think he is one of our best field kicks and seems to be improving steadily.
    I've been impressed with what I've seen of COR, has had a number of injuries at inopportune times for continuity in his game, is best 22 for me.

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    He is best 22 for me too, but he didn't do much in the Marsh series. A pleasing effort against the Giants followed by a very ordinary game against the Roos. Yet still probably good enough for a place in the team. When you see young talent like Stephenson and Ed Richards can't get games for their clubs, meanwhile we have guys who are OK, didn't do much in the Marsh series getting games easily, it shows how poor our depth is.

In my view COR is safely best 22 for tomorrow but the situation is less clear if we had an entirely healthy list with everyone available. And even if he is right now a better player than, say, Dylan Stephens, Stephens has enough talent that we need to prioritise getting games into him so he can help us contend in future. Anyway, I am really pleased for Colin and hope he has a blinder and get a string of games at senior level that will help to build his confidence and to further improve him.

I'm glad we aren't giving more games to Clarke. Much prefer to see McInerney get a run because he can be part of our future whereas I think Clarke is a short term role player who may not be on our list next year.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

The team selection was another small window into the Swans' game plan going forward. It's about pace and trying to become more of a forward lock in team rather than just a good defensive rebound team. We don't want a lot of stoppages and midfield play, because we are not a good contested footy team atm.

We have a large group of quick agile players waiting in the wings, so if injury or form knock a few out of the current side, we have similar players to replace them without having to change our style of play.

PS: I haven't seen anything about what the 'reserves' players will be doing now that the NEAFL is not going ahead. Does anyone know? Do we schedule reserves matches with GWS, for example, just to keep the players' game form on track?

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast