Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: What to do with no footy to watch

Regular in the Side
    The Glorious Peoples Republic of Hookturnistan
    With you KTigers, not missing it all. Plenty of other things to do.
    sprite

Regular in the Side Velour&Ruffles's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    I just watched the doco 'Inside Out' about Collingwood and especially their 2018 season on iview. It was really good, well worth watching.
    That's the second best celluloid entertainment ever made that is entitled 'Inside Out'. The 2015 Pixar movie 'Inside Out' is a much better use of your time. It's a beautiful thing (and doesn't involve Collingwood).
    My opinion is objective truth in its purest form

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by Velour&Ruffles View Post
    That's the second best celluloid entertainment ever made that is entitled 'Inside Out'. The 2015 Pixar movie 'Inside Out' is a much better use of your time. It's a beautiful thing (and doesn't involve Collingwood).
    Nice to see another fan of a great and often underrated movie.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Senior Player
    May I recommend "The Plot Against America", a series adaptation of the Phillip Roth novel made by David Simon
    (the creator of "The Wire"). It's HBO on Foxtel. Also there is a doco series called "The Last Stand" that's just started on
    Netflix about the Michael Jordan era of the Chicago Bulls. Finally there is the second series of "Mystery Road" on the ABC.
    This series is directed by Warwick Thornton, who made "Sweet Country" and "Samson & Delilah", both excellent movies.

Regular in the Side
    WHY is the NRL allowed to start may 28. Favourites of PM I guess

Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    May I recommend "The Plot Against America", a series adaptation of the Phillip Roth novel made by David Simon
    (the creator of "The Wire"). It's HBO on Foxtel. Also there is a doco series called "The Last Stand" that's just started on
    Netflix about the Michael Jordan era of the Chicago Bulls. Finally there is the second series of "Mystery Road" on the ABC.
    This series is directed by Warwick Thornton, who made "Sweet Country" and "Samson & Delilah", both excellent movies.
    Yes, I also plan to watch The Last Stand over the next few days. Should be really interesting. It also has a slight Swans connection, in that Roosy was a big fan of Bulls coach, Phil Jackson, and he modelled a fair bit of his coaching philosophy, on the philosophy of Jackson.

A couple of things that I watched recently, that I'd recommend, are Giri/Haji and Better Than Us. Giri/Haji is a British/Japanese coproduction, which is set in both Tokyo and London. It involves warring gangsters in both cities and a Japanese police officer's attempt to extricate himself from those wars. It has excellent acting and screenwriting, and is also beautifully shot. I think it was on ABC last year, but I missed it.

Better Than Us is a dystopian Russian drama, set in the not too distant future. A future where menial robots and sexbots are commonplace. It starts with a Russian corporation taking delivery of a far more advanced robot, Arisa. It seems that they got her on the cheap, because she has killed before and possibly might kill again. Though interestingly, as the show evolves, Arisa becomes something of an eccentric take on the superhero theme: touchingly naive in many aspects of life, she is still capable of both defending your family, by beating up bad guys, and being a wiz around the home, with her cooking, cleaning and child minding skills.

And going back to American sports, the NFL draft starts tomorrow morning, our time.

For anyone interested, this is one of many mock drafts.

Two-Round 2020 NFL Mock Draft: Patriots trade with Cowboys, Packers plan for life after Aaron Rodgers - CBSSports.com

Pretty well every mock draft has quarterback, Joe Burrow, going at number one and defensive edge, Chase Young, going at number two. Though being a Saints fan, my interest only really starts at pick 24. The consensus is that the New Orleans recruiters, will probably take the best available linebacker, or maybe a project quarterback. Both of which I'd be happy with, but more so the linebacker option.

Also, I couldn't help noticing, that the offensive lineman, projected to go at 11, Mekhi Becton, is listed at 6' 7" and 364 pounds. In our terms, that's 200cm and 165 kilos. But hey, if you're worried about his ability to move around, they reckon that he plays with the agility of a 260 pounder.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Yes, I also plan to watch The Last Stand over the next few days. Should be really interesting. It also has a slight Swans connection, in that Roosy was a big fan of Bulls coach, Phil Jackson, and he modelled a fair bit of his coaching philosophy, on the philosophy of Jackson.

A couple of things that I watched recently, that I'd recommend, are Giri/Haji and Better Than Us. Giri/Haji is a British/Japanese coproduction, which is set in both Tokyo and London. It involves warring gangsters in both cities and a Japanese police officer's attempt to extricate himself from those wars. It has excellent acting and screenwriting, and is also beautifully shot. I think it was on ABC last year, but I missed it.

Better Than Us is a dystopian Russian drama, set in the not too distant future. A future where menial robots and sexbots are commonplace. It starts with a Russian corporation taking delivery of a far more advanced robot, Arisa. It seems that they got her on the cheap, because she has killed before and possibly might kill again. Though interestingly, as the show evolves, Arisa becomes something of an eccentric take on the superhero theme: touchingly naive in many aspects of life, she is still capable of both defending your family, by beating up bad guys, and being a wiz around the home, with her cooking, cleaning and child minding skills.

And going back to American sports, the NFL draft starts tomorrow morning, our time.
    Recommend Mrs America on Foxtel Showcase I think. Based on true story of Phyllis Schlafly who opposed Womens Liberation and started the Moral Majority in US. Saw first episode on Tuesday 8.30. Very good acting. At the moment set in early70s. On weekly. Cate Blanchett outstanding in main role.

Senior Player

The Last Stand is excellent so far. They have the first two episodes up now. Lots on Jordan obviously, big focus on Scottie Pippen & Jackson too.
    Interviews with Magic Johnson, Larry Bird etc. They are all older now of course and have mellowed a bit but it's fascinating. Good to see Luc
    Longley hanging around the back of the pack too. Presume Rodman will turn up at some stage in the series. He is still as weird as ever from
    what I've seen elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    The Last Stand is excellent so far. They have the first two episodes up now. Lots on Jordan obviously, big focus on Scottie Pippen & Jackson too.
    Interviews with Magic Johnson, Larry Bird etc. They are all older now of course and have mellowed a bit but it's fascinating. Good to see Luc
    Longley hanging around the back of the pack too. Presume Rodman will turn up at some stage in the series. He is still as weird as ever from
    what I've seen elsewhere.
    I watched the first episode last night and really enjoyed it. As someone who wasn't all that interested in basketball, back in Jordan's heyday, it was fun watching his bag of tricks. The scoring move that impressed me the most, was the finger flick from around waist height, that he did while falling sideways under heavy defensive pressure.

I also found the what if moments interesting. Like what if Portland decided that they could take Jordan at pick 2? Would Clyde Drexler then have become a famous support act? Or what if rookie Michael, after knocking on that motel room door, had of decided to do a few lines with his new team mates? Or if Phil Jackson had of walked, after the general manager, invited everybody except him to a function?

Senior Player
    I watched the first episode last night and really enjoyed it. As someone who wasn't all that interested in basketball, back in Jordan's heyday, it was fun watching his bag of tricks. The scoring move that impressed me the most, was the finger flick from around waist height, that he did while falling sideways under heavy defensive pressure.

I also found the what if moments interesting. Like what if Portland decided that they could take Jordan at pick 2? Would Clyde Drexler then have become a famous support act? Or what if rookie Michael, after knocking on that motel room door, had of decided to do a few lines with his new team mates? Or if Phil Jackson had of walked, after the general manager, invited everybody except him to a function?
    Yeah, I don't think anything was going to stop Jordan. His skill and will to win was in another league even amongst the very best. After Ali he is
    the most important athlete in the history of sport.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Not Jesse Owens?

Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast